The New Raith Rovers Thread

We are really playing poorly by all accounts. Teams are dominating us and the lack of any vocal support from the stands tells you that. 

There's no decent football being played at the moment. It stems from the midfield. We always get dominated in there, which baffles me with the players we have. I'd really like to see Rossco starting a game. I've watched Smith all through this season and I honestly have no idea what he brings? I'd actually have preferred Ross. We create nothing when he plays. 

We didn't concede last night which is absolutely huge. 

Don't let the 6-0 beating of Arbroath fool anyone, we'll probably manage to make a 10 part drama out of the game with nobody knowing what way the ending will go 😂

35 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

We are really playing poorly by all accounts. Teams are dominating us and the lack of any vocal support from the stands tells you that. 

There's no decent football being played at the moment. It stems from the midfield. We always get dominated in there, which baffles me with the players we have. I'd really like to see Rossco starting a game. I've watched Smith all through this season and I honestly have no idea what he brings? I'd actually have preferred Ross. We create nothing when he plays. 

We didn't concede last night which is absolutely huge. 

Don't let the 6-0 beating of Arbroath fool anyone, we'll probably manage to make a 10 part drama out of the game with nobody knowing what way the ending will go 😂

This feels a tad harsh. No doubt we arent playing to dominate sides with the ball now, on the other hand we arent playing nearly as open.

The last three games we've sat a lot deeper without the ball and been content to hit teams on the break, and to sit in on leads. Confidence is obviously a bit brittle but we are also 7/9 and level on points at the top of the table. I'd hope we'd be able to build on that, to try and take more control in games again but at the same time I wouldn't say we were technically poor against United or Ayr where we played to a tight, limited plan.

Arbroath lost 3-1 at home after their last 6-0 thrashing away from home this season.  Same again please (although another clean sheet would be a boost so lets go for 3-0 instead).

I would also like Matthews to come in for this one.  He's the true box to box, combative midfielder than none of the other options in there are.  Also, if we start with Hamilton, we need someone up there with him who'll get onto the knock downs.  Rudden or Vaughan would both be a better option than Smith who tends to drift a little wider.

1 hour ago, renton said:

This feels a tad harsh. No doubt we arent playing to dominate sides with the ball now, on the other hand we arent playing nearly as open.

The last three games we've sat a lot deeper without the ball and been content to hit teams on the break, and to sit in on leads. Confidence is obviously a bit brittle but we are also 7/9 and level on points at the top of the table. I'd hope we'd be able to build on that, to try and take more control in games again but at the same time I wouldn't say we were technically poor against United or Ayr where we played to a tight, limited plan.

I don't get how we pick up a few points and all is fine again? It's not. The flatness in the crowds tell you a lot. There's literally nothing to get you off your seat for 85 minutes of the match. I just feel we're not attractive to watch in most of the game if being honest. We were very luck against Utd, outplayed for most of the game against Ayr but fortunately they were powder puff and last night Morton outplayed us in our own patch limiting us to 1 shot on goal. That is not acceptable at home. We haven't got the balance in midfield right all season in my eyes. Yeah we've won games, a lot very fortuitously. 

The only thing we haven't done is start with Matthews in midfield. I'd like to see Brown, Stanton and Matthews in a midfield 3. Also Turner didn't look too bad when he went up top against Ayr in terms of work rate but in midfield he looks absolutely lost. 

I'd love to see at least one performance this season in the league when we can win by 2 or 3 goals and have a nice controlled end to a game, amen!!! 

1 minute ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

I don't get how we pick up a few points and all is fine again? It's not. The flatness in the crowds tell you a lot. There's literally nothing to get you off your seat for 85 minutes of the match. I just feel we're not attractive to watch in most of the game if being honest. We were very luck against Utd, outplayed for most of the game against Ayr but fortunately they were powder puff and last night Morton outplayed us in our own patch limiting us to 1 shot on goal. That is not acceptable at home. We haven't got the balance in midfield right all season in my eyes. Yeah we've won games, a lot very fortuitously. 

The only thing we haven't done is start with Matthews in midfield. I'd like to see Brown, Stanton and Matthews in a midfield 3. Also Turner didn't look too bad when he went up top against Ayr in terms of work rate but in midfield he looks absolutely lost. 

I'd love to see at least one performance this season in the league when we can win by 2 or 3 goals and have a nice controlled end to a game, amen!!! 

I didnt say it was fine, at the same time I don't think we have played, on the whole, poorly.

We've played to a restrictive game plan and it isnt one that is exactly going to get a crowd buzzing (the flatness of a crowd at Starks tells you f**k all useful btw) On the other hand 2 goals conceded in 3 weeks is as good a shut out as we've had this this season.

I don't think it's tenable over the rest of the season but has to be seen in the context of where we were after the Dunfermline game in terms of results. 

The formation Murray chooses to use isnt built on controlling midfield and therefore possession, and it's a fairly delicate balancing act to get it to work, relying on having Stanton to drop in when we don't have it, and a centre back to step up into midfield when we do. It's about fast attacking play (and a willingness to gamble at the back) and at some point you have to concede that winning games as often as we have can't simply be down to fortune.

Having nearly 4k folk in a stadium and being able to hear a pin drop for the most part goes a huge way to show how we are playing. If it was captivating then people would make noise. We are not captivating and definitely not creating enough in front of our own fans. 

As for conceding only 2 goals, I'm not getting overly exited at the moment but it's definitely a step in the right direction. I'd be more exited if we had Ashcroft available. Well aware of what the defence are more than capable of unfortunately. 

This isn't about never being pleased either. Again I've stuck to my guns all season about how we play and we for the most part make games way tougher than they have had to be. I just wish we could hit the sweet spot for 2 or 3 games and get a proper buzz and the confidence that we could win this league. Even a couple of 2 nils with decent possession and a few good chances would be nice to watch. 

Callum Hannah started for Albion Rovers vs Bo’ness, got 49% fan vote for PotM on their Twitter poll (183 votes), and reportedly did quite well in a 0-0.

Adam Masson got on for most of the second half with Linlithgow in their 1-0 win.

52 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

I just feel we're not attractive to watch in most of the game if being honest.

My 2 cents, couldn't give a fook how we play at the moment as long as we pick up points. 

Edit: Beastie beat me to it. 

Edited by Raithie

27 minutes ago, Raithie said:

My 2 cents, couldn't give a fook how we play at the moment as long as we pick up points. 

Edit: Beastie beat me to it. 

Agree with these comments. 
As I said to my family supporters this morning, we're now at the business end of the season and any point /points GAINED are what we want and need. and don't give a s**t how we achieve it, end of story.👍😀

10 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Torn between five and six…if we can’t absolute ride this lot dizzy Friday night, we’re gubbed in the chase for the League…but I’m still worried!

Edited by TxRover

13 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

If or when Dundee United win the league I'd imagine there will be a lot of regret on your part. So many chances to go above them or push on with the lead you had around Christmas, and you always seem to never capitalise on their slip ups. I say this with no malice as I'd actually prefer you guys to go up over them 

Tempting to feel some regret, particularly at dropping soft points at home. In the last six home games in the league we’ve dropped points against Morton (2), Inverness (3), Queens Park (3), Arbroath (2) and Ayr (2). Even just a few of those converted into a win or draw and we’d have a nice gap over United. But the reality is this is Raith Rovers in the Championship we are talking about. We aren’t going to win every single game so just thankful that United haven’t gone on a run either or it’d be over. We still have an outside chance so here for it as long as that lasts. Same goes for play-offs. If we do end up in the play offs wouldn’t be over confident about beating any of Partick, Morton, Airdrie or Ayr comfortably. Will be an absolute battle. 

22 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Torn between five and six…if we can’t absolute ride this lot dizzy Friday night, we’re gubbed in the chase for the League…but I’m still worried!

Anyone expecting a bucketload against Arbroath is a fool. We don’t win by a bucket load and teams very rarely get humped two games in a row. Would take a one goal win right now. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

If they werent gonna sit in and defend their 18 yard line before, then they are now. Happily take any number more positive than they have.

11 minutes ago, renton said:

If they werent gonna sit in and defend their 18 yard line before, then they are now. Happily take any number more positive than they have.

Yep, and its here that our direct approach may fail us as they'll be fine with defending their box. We need to be able to draw them out and capitalise on any spaces we can get. This could just be one of those turgid games. 

13 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Yep, and its here that our direct approach may fail us as they'll be fine with defending their box. We need to be able to draw them out and capitalise on any spaces we can get. This could just be one of those turgid games. 

It cannot be any worse than last night.

38 minutes ago, renton said:

Based on the above video, I don't think you need to be worried by their attempts at defending...