The New Raith Rovers Thread

That was pretty crap last night but I'm trying to be glass half full and remembering this time last year we were drawing 0-0 with Ayr with less than 2,000 at Starks Park and our main strikers were Willy Akio and Esmael Gonçalves.

Edited by mrpaddyx

15 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Hallelujah, I thought I was the only one who felt that about Vaughan, hes a better player and doesn't need to be like that.

Add 1 more to that, I really dislike players that chuck themselves around (dive) for no apparent reason. It's the one part of the game that really gets my goat and pisses me off no end, I especially dislike it when it's one of our own.

Vaughan has been going down all season and everyone has noticed it including refs. Like you say there's no need for it. 

Thought he played well last night but was never getting a goal.

Sitting on a Saturday night wondering how we conceded 5 goals and dropped 5 points in those last 2 games against Arbroath??

Wondering how we are still in with a shout of winning the league.

Wondering if it’s going to come down to us beating Arbroath in the last game of the season.

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Maybe there was an environment condition that precluded kicking it further or more accurately…hum, thinking, what could it be at Gayfield?

Or maybe his kicking is just abysmal. Wind is no excuse for slicing it straight out of play. No idea ow many times I've seen that this season. Into the wind he should have been kicking the ball at a much lower trajectory kicking high into the wind is fucking moronic. Seen us play in much worse conditions up there and never seen a keeper struggle as much as he did with his kicking. 

4 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

Kicking into a 30mph wind, what more do you expect from him ?

Yeah we all know he has his faults, would rather have Dracula for crosses and his kicking isn't the best, but as a shot stopper he's up there with the best in the league.

He had a howler for the 2nd agreed but he's arguably the best keeper we've had since McGurn. 

I would expect someone to be able to drill a kick to the half way line even in a 30 mph wind.(I highly doubt it was that windy except maybe the odd gust)  if not at least try and find team mate. Can't have a situation were everyime the goalie kicks the ball we are contesting for it about 20 yards outside our own box.  

Best since McGurn? Come on now. Our last keeper was miles better. He is very good at making standard saved look spectacular I'll give him that much.

53 minutes ago, SerieA said:

Sitting on a Saturday night wondering how we conceded 5 goals and dropped 5 points in those last 2 games against Arbroath??

Wondering if it’s going to come down to us beating Arbroath in the last game of the season.

The last time we won a league not cut short by a worldwide pandemic was with a home game against Arbroath, so hopefully that’s a good omen. 

That final game at home to Arbroath has potential to be both a title and relegation decider all rolled into one. 

It would be the peakiest of peak cinch moments. 

1 hour ago, RR #1 said:

I would expect someone to be able to drill a kick to the half way line even in a 30 mph wind.(I highly doubt it was that windy except maybe the odd gust)  if not at least try and find team mate. Can't have a situation were everyime the goalie kicks the ball we are contesting for it about 20 yards outside our own box.  

Best since McGurn? Come on now. Our last keeper was miles better. He is very good at making standard saved look spectacular I'll give him that much.

Macdonald was pretty terrible at dealing with crosses and his kicking has always been hit or miss...

Probably a reason he doesn't play for morton regularly and it isn't all down to injury champ. 

4 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Couldn’t and haven’t been able to bring myself to read anything about last nights result.

As gutting a feeling walking out of Gayfield since funnily enough the 2-2 game against Abroath at Starks.

What a letdown for a big and noisy away following.

First 60 minutes we were superb. Really enjoyed how ‘at it’ we were and how we pressed. First half was 1 nil going on 3 or 4.

Once the second went in it was time to change it, some of the players were knackered. No coincidence our form has improved since Watson has came back in and went wrong when he went off.

A team consisting of Brown, Byrne, Stanton and Matthews should really be able to see our games. Abroath are the clear league 1 looking side in the division.

I fear the loss of Ashcroft and Watson will be our undoing this season.

ps that KD howler was once of the worst things I’ve seen. How does someone at 6ft 8 plus the length of his arms not just punch that away. He actually took a step back 🤯. A great shot stopper but not very good with crossed balls.

Will be a tougher test against the Pars with their improved form and I believe Bene back in. They’ll of course want to fully derail our title challenge.

Dundee Utd keep opening the door for us but title winners don’t blow 2 goal leads with 30 to play against basement boys. 

Blew  a 1 goal lead

Stenhousemuir  1-6 Clyde

31 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Macdonald was pretty terrible at dealing with crosses and his kicking has always been hit or miss...

Probably a reason he doesn't play for morton regularly and it isn't all down to injury champ. 

Who said anything about Morton or injuries? And what's with the champ patter ya fanny? Mcdonald was 100% a better keeper sorry if that upsets you.

His kicking wasn't the best but not terrible and he picked the right times to play it short or go long. Thing is some keepers realise coming for crosses isn't their strong point and just stay on their line. Wish kev would do the same. 

10 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Who said anything about Morton or injuries? And what's with the champ patter ya fanny? Mcdonald was 100% a better keeper sorry if that upsets you.

His kicking wasn't the best but not terrible and he picked the right times to play it short or go long. Thing is some keepers realise coming for crosses isn't their strong point and just stay on their line. Wish kev would do the same. 

The morton patter clearly went over your head there then...

I'm not sure why you thinking macdonald is a better 'keeper than dabrowski would offend me either quite honestly. 

Kev literally does stay on his line to the point people criticise him for doing it.... 

The second goal yesterday didn't have anything to do with him making the wrong choice with sticking to his line, he just fucked up the execution of coming a yard off it, which would have been an easy take if he'd met the ball at its highest point instead of waiting on it to drop in to him. 

3 hours ago, RR #1 said:

Or maybe his kicking is just abysmal. Wind is no excuse for slicing it straight out of play. No idea ow many times I've seen that this season. Into the wind he should have been kicking the ball at a much lower trajectory kicking high into the wind is fucking moronic. Seen us play in much worse conditions up there and never seen a keeper struggle as much as he did with his kicking. 

Let’s see…you suggest there might have been gusts in the post below, which would certainly change the trajectory of the ball. I get that you’re hell bent upon trashing Big Kev, which is absolutely your right. But you’re making yourself look like a whacko here…or Stardog_Champion’s alt account.

I've no idea why Dabrowski didn't attack the ball for their second goal. Even punching it while under pressure would probably have sufficed. 

Anyway, it's done now and we're still in with a shout. He's pulled us out of the shite frequently enough that I'm willing to look past some mistakes that he'll hopefully learn from. 

Let's not lose sight of how much improvement we've been treated to this season because of one disappointing night in Arbroath. 

11 hours ago, SerieA said:

We all have teams we huff and puff against, the proverbial bogey team. 
look at Falkirk flying this season, but couldn’t beat us last season. 
I'm not blowing smoke up your arses here, Rovers have played some of the best football I’ve seen in this league this season, and will be banging on the premier league’s door if not kicking it open at the end of the season. 

Dabrowski is an excellent shot stopper. Probably the best in the league (in my opinion). He is, however, not an all-round keeper. His aerial presence for cross-balls is questionable at times. His kicking also needs a fair bit of work. I also feel his mental wellbeing has issues when under stress. He is with us for these reasons - if he was an all-rounder he would be with a more notable club.

Despite his weak points, I would take Dabrowski over the majority of other keepers at this level.

whatever the outcome of the season, I would like to keep Kevin for the long term. I think his age is a great asset and there is scope to work on his weaker areas and develop him. The fundimental thing for me though is that I  don't think we have suitable skills in the club to develop him. So we either need to recruit a very good goal keeping coach, or look externally to see where we could send him (training camps etc.)

Kevin didn't have a good game, however, the result certainly does not lie at his hands. The catastrophic defending is the issue.

9 hours ago, RR #1 said:

He stays on his line and you have folk howling at him to come for it. He isn't perfect by a long shot but in the cross situation you have just described he can't win.

We are significantly further forward than last season, by quite some distance.  However, when you look at how much points Dundee United have dropped since our win at Tannadice, failing to win this league would be an absolute massive opportunity blown.  Its a different feeling to our last title battle against Dunfermline, where Mcglynn had a team punching well above their weight and ultimately ran out of steam.  The amount of daft points we've thrown away, especially from winning positions, is tough to take.

That said, some how it's still in our hands - need to keep going.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

We are significantly further forward than last season, by quite some distance.  However, when you look at how much points Dundee United have dropped since our win at Tannadice, failing to win this league would be an absolute massive opportunity blown.  Its a different feeling to our last title battle against Dunfermline, where Mcglynn had a team punching well above their weight and ultimately ran out of steam.  The amount of daft points we've thrown away, especially from winning positions, is tough to take.

That said, some how it's still in our hands - need to keep going.

@Heid_The_Baw will be here shortly to say it’s not in our hands

14 hours ago, RR #1 said:

McDonald was definitely a better all round keeper. Dabrowski's strength is his shot stopping and being a character, but his kicking with or without wind is poor, his ability to control his box and come for crosses confidently is terrible and his positioning for shots across goal ain't great. Hamilton is good in the air maybe in training they should just constantly throw crosses into the box for a while and get Hamilton attacking the goal and see if Dabrowski can dominate.