The New Raith Rovers Thread

44 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I think from memory the Smith season Vaughan played as a striker in a 4 3 3  with Spence and Buchanan as opposed to on the wing.

It was more of a 4-4-2, verging on a 4-2-4 as you had Barr hugging the touchline on the other side. 

Vaughan coming in off that wing was our principle threat, but even then he wasn't being asked to so much defensively and that kinda worked in league 1 then but even at that we looked over run in the middle.

Not sure if the person posts here but read a stat as follows -

Murray has managed 10 Raith V Airdrie games. 
6 for Airdrie and 4 for Raith.

0 wins

2 draws 

8 defeats all by 0-1

Hopefully like ICT that’s a mini curse which can be banished tomorrow.

I’m very positive about this season and how it’s went but for one thing…I can’t remember the last time I’ve walked out either Starks or an away ground and thought, wow we were fantastic today. Plenty times I’ve been impressed with the dig or individual players but not the overall performance bar spells in a game.

Would be ideal timing to see our levels rise for the remaining fixtures.

7 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Not sure if the person posts here but read a stat as follows -

0 wins

2 draws 

8 defeats all by 0-1

Hopefully like ICT that’s a mini curse which can be banished tomorrow.

I’m very positive about this season and how it’s went but for one thing…I can’t remember the last time I’ve walked out either Starks or an away ground and thought, wow we were fantastic today. Plenty times I’ve been impressed with the dig or individual players but not the overall performance bar spells in a game.

Would be ideal timing to see our levels rise for the remaining fixtures.

(All scores are IM’s team first)

3 X 0-1 and 1 X 1-1 in 23/24 (w/Raith)…that’s 0-1-3

3 X 0-1 in 19/20 (w/Airdrie)…that’s 0-0-3, running total 0-1-6

1 X 0-2, 1 X 0-1, and 1 X 1-1 in 18/19 (w/Airdrie, taking over in Oct)…that’s 0-1-2. Running total is confirmed as 0-2-8, but only seven of the eight losses were by 0-1, one was by 0-2.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

but only seven of the eight losses were by 0-1, one was by 0-2.

lol so it’s even worse 🤣

No axe to grind against Airdrie and what they’ve done over the last 12 months playing nice football is fantastic for them and their support.

That said…it’s fookin Airdrie, not Hearts. They’ve pretty much the same squad  that finished in the playoffs in league 1 with the addition of Todorov and the talented LB loan from Hibs.

They've lost or drawn 18 of their 31 games played. With our big squad, we really should be able to win this type of game. 

11 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

0 wins

2 draws 

8 defeats all by 0-1

It’s a bit much to put his stats as Airdrie manager against us into the mix surely? Even for Ro Sham Bo

23 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

It’s a bit much to put his stats as Airdrie manager against us into the mix surely? Even for Ro Sham Bo

What it does tell us is that if Murray sits in the Airdrie dugout tonight, we should win.

39 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Possibly but subconsciously he’ll know that he’s not had success from this fixture for either club.

What I hope that doesn’t do is make him try some weird and wonderful formation.

Unless it gets similar result to Pars away in the Scottish with Connolly at right back 🙂

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

(All scores are IM’s team first)

3 X 0-1 and 1 X 1-1 in 23/24 (w/Raith)…that’s 0-1-3

3 X 0-1 in 19/20 (w/Airdrie)…that’s 0-0-3, running total 0-1-6

1 X 0-2, 1 X 0-1, and 1 X 1-1 in 18/19 (w/Airdrie, taking over in Oct)…that’s 0-1-2. Running total is confirmed as 0-2-8, but only seven of the eight losses were by 0-1, one was by 0-2.

What's so weird about our record against Raith this season was that until this season Raith were one of those sides I dreaded playing because I always felt/knew we'd fall to a rubbish 1 or 2 goal defeat.

But in fairness to Murray this pre-dated him by years. We hadn't beaten Raith in 11 matches prior to Murray joining us - losing 8 and drawing 3. So in that context you can't really blame Murray for our poor record against Raith, he just continued an already poor record.

3 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

lol so it’s even worse 🤣

No axe to grind against Airdrie and what they’ve done over the last 12 months playing nice football is fantastic for them and their support.

That said…it’s fookin Airdrie, not Hearts. They’ve pretty much the same squad  that finished in the playoffs in league 1 with the addition of Todorov and the talented LB loan from Hibs.

They've lost or drawn 18 of their 31 games played. With our big squad, we really should be able to win this type of game. 

😂😂😂

Sounding a bit Falkirk-esque. 

Edited by Shooter McGavin

7 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

What's so weird about our record against Raith this season was that until this season Raith were one of those sides I dreaded playing because I always felt/knew we'd fall to a rubbish 1 or 2 goal defeat.

But in fairness to Murray this pre-dated him by years. We hadn't beaten Raith in 11 matches prior to Murray joining us - losing 8 and drawing 3. So in that context you can't really blame Murray for our poor record against Raith, he just continued an already poor record.

Careful now, you might throw a spanner in the therapy session taking place in here. 

Bit of smoke and mirrors here as through an Ian M filter it paints a picture of Airdrie being a bogey team. Rovers still doing well accross the fixtures. 

Said many times McCabe gets the very best out of his players. Could he step up and build a team? Time will tell as he must have his admirers.

11 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

What a strange take.

I think saying Ian Murray has some sort of curse in the Raith v Airdrie fixture no matter which team he’s managing is a stranger take to be honest. 

If saying IM hasn’t came out on top in this fixture in 10 goes is stranger than inferring that there’s some therapy going on then..well that’s just a bit weird.

What is clear,  in his tenure as Raith manager we’ve been the clear second best in this fixture and scored 1 goal in 360 minutes of football.

I’m hoping that changes tonight.

I honestly believe that, even if we do go on to win the league, some of our supporters would still insist that Ian Murray isn't the man to take us forward. 

2 hours ago, Always next quarter said:

Bit of smoke and mirrors here as through an Ian M filter it paints a picture of Airdrie being a bogey team. Rovers still doing well accross the fixtures. 

Said many times McCabe gets the very best out of his players. Could he step up and build a team? Time will tell as he must have his admirers.

No, we actually haven’t. Airdrie has been a nemesis team this year…with Arbroath also a wee bother. Everyone else we’re well ahead on points earned versus allowed, Airdrie we’re absolutely not.

22 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

I honestly believe that, even if we do go on to win the league, some of our supporters would still insist that Ian Murray isn't the man to take us forward. 

Even if we finish 2nd and fall flat in the playoffs I want him here next season. He’s more than delivered upon expectations. 

Next season it could be even more mental with minimal points separating top and bottom as I don’t think there would be a standout team nor anyone as poor as Arbroath.

We desperately need to move away from having Brown at centre back.  He's done fine there plenty times, but he's been miles off it on too many occasions now.

I'm not necessarily annoyed at not winning the league, but the way we have meekly surrendered some very good opportunities in the past couple of months is incredibly frustrating.  United will deservedly win the league, but when you look at the position that was gift wrapped to us after they were beaten by Dunfermline,  its a pretty poor effort from us to keep things competitive.  

That said, tonight we can have little complaints. Airdrie played us off the park and have a manager who appears to be significantly more tactically astute than our own.  

Still an important few games though, its vital to retain some kind of positivity going into the playoffs.

Edited by CALDERON