The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Can't see any changes coming off the back of this and I don't feel like it puts Ruaridh in a position where he should be resigning. It's not something I'd condone myself but it's not exactly the journalist murdering, human rights abusing sportswashing state sponsorship you'll see down south. 

Exactly my thoughts on the matter.

Pretty unsavoury stuff as we peddle Andys man club, Mental health awareness and the club being a safe place.

However don't see anything other than personal red lines being breached.

Hardly a Saudi cartel but not great given the wreckage that can be caused by betting in football. 

Posted (edited)

It does make Kilgour out to be a cock, however if everytime a board member in Scottish football was revealed to be a wrong 'un there was a resignation/sacking there'd be no one left. 

53 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

. The fact that Kilgour has built such a valuable and profitable company off the back of posting some shan tips online is very impressive in my view  

I find this a really odd viewpoint to hold though. If he wasn't affiliated with Raith Rovers surely there's no way you'd be thinking that scamming people out of money is a good thing? 

Edited by HoBNob

29 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

It does make Kilgour out to be a cock, however if everytime a board member in Scottish football was revealed to be a wrong 'un there was a resignation/sacking there'd be no one left. 

I find this a really odd viewpoint to hold though. If he wasn't affiliated with Raith Rovers surely there's no way you'd be thinking that scamming people out of money is a good thing? 

You mean like the PARS did before they went into admin?

44 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Forgive me if I'm missing something but what's the scam? 

Surely it's down to the individual if they wish to go along with any of the tips offered?

Genuine question. Interested in other perspectives on this. 

Our whole league is about to be sponsored by a bookie and folk are reaching for their pearls about this.  There's been no law broken here and I have absolutely no issue with it.

As for comparing it with the Goodwillie situation.....get to f**k with that!!!!!

Posted (edited)

Situations like this remind that I don’t like people most of the time.

So many people seem to get precious over nonsense and think their opinion matters. If this situation gets you worked up then you’re a bellend.

Anyone wanna post about what team they’d like to see against Partick / Airdrie ?

I really want him to stick with McGill and Turner on the left. We looked so much more dynamic however I fear Dick will just come straight back in. If it’s Airdrie we need to setup to go at them.

Edited by RAITHROVERS84

3 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Situations like this remind that I don’t like people most of the time.

So many people seem to get precious over nonsense and think their opinion matters. If this situation gets you worked up then you’re a bellend.

Anyone wanna post about what team they’d like to see against Partick / Airdrie ?

I really want him to stick with McGill and Turner on the left. We looked so much more dynamic however I fear Dick will just come straight back in. If it’s Airdrie we need to setup to go at them.

Clapping Applause GIF - Clapping Applause Well - Discover ...

Theres an old saying, ........... "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink", just like you dont have to click on a link that takes you elsewhere, fanwave digital isn't the first business to do this and certainly wont be the last.

As far as I can see, Fanwave's website is pretty open about what they do. On that basis it's maybe surprising it's taken a year for someone to write a piece in a newspaper about it. Perhaps that's part of the privilege of being a small club. At any rate, I am not troubled by this, even if I have issues with the gambling industry. 

I don't like the relationship football has with the gambling industry. But on a wider point, this is an argument for the game itself and, in some cases, also the Government. The game is very happy to take their sponsorship money, and very recently the SPFL has gone and done so as part of a "record deal". A Raith Director having a business that makes money from the gambling industry is therefore not exactly end of days stuff here.

On the Government point, there is a wider issue here about regulation and what should/shouldn't be allowed in terms of social media accounts promoting gambling (or, indeed, the various other things you find third-rate celebrities and 'influencer' accounts promoting). However, it's up to the legislators to act there if they see a problem. 

There is also a need for individuals to exercise some self-control. No-one is being forced to bet or to accept a tip, for example.

Don't think this is a massive deal, Ruaridh obviously doesn't come across very well but there are many shady techniques that bookies use and as the 'William Hill SPFL Championship' begins in the next few months I can't imagine any intervention.

I would, however, not like to see Fanwave Digital on any of our kits next season.

2 hours ago, HoBNob said:

A wrong 'un? Scamming people out of money? FFS get a grip man.

Like I said before anyone who clicks on a link on Facebook, twitter etc, and gets taken to a betting site must know it's a paid link or they are complete simpletons who shouldn't be allowed on the internet at all.

These are mug punters who would bet and lose whether they clicked on some affiliated link or not. 

Why is it an odd viewpoint? The man is obviously very clued up to make so much money out of something like this and a genius at internet marketing given how much followers those "tip" sites have. He is a Rovers supported all his days too. That is exactly the kind of guy I want involved with the running of my club.

1 hour ago, spot on said:

You mean like the PARS did before they went into admin?

And did you view that as a good thing? 

1 hour ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Forgive me if I'm missing something but what's the scam? 

Surely it's down to the individual if they wish to go along with any of the tips offered?

Genuine question. Interested in other perspectives on this. 

For me, if you beleive that the tips are coming from an actual person who's also got skin in the game with regards to winning them you're more likely to beleive the tips are coming from a good place. Just have a look at the replies to that account and people genuinely beleive that "Andy" is a real person, instead it's a company purposely trying to make you put on bad bets. 

You can call people idiots and gullible etc but I don't think exploiting them makes you a good guy, quite the opposite really. 

As I said, I don't expect him to resign, I don't expect Raith as a club or a fanbase to be up in arms about having him as a director. I just don't reckon he'll be a very good person, which is probably true for most people working in the gambling industry. 

3 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

A wrong 'un? Scamming people out of money? FFS get a grip man.

Like I said before anyone who clicks on a link on Facebook, twitter etc, and gets taken to a betting site must know it's a paid link or they are complete simpletons who shouldn't be allowed on the internet at all.

These are mug punters who would bet and lose whether they clicked on some affiliated link or not. 

Why is it an odd viewpoint? The man is obviously very clued up to make so much money out of something like this and a genius at internet marketing given how much followers those "tip" sites have. He is a Rovers supported all his days too. That is exactly the kind of guy I want involved with the running of my club.

Me and you aren't going to agree on this. 

43 minutes ago, Starksdynamo said:

Don't think this is a massive deal, Ruaridh obviously doesn't come across very well but there are many shady techniques that bookies use and as the 'William Hill SPFL Championship' begins in the next few months I can't imagine any intervention.

I would, however, not like to see Fanwave Digital on any of our kits next season.

Although they haven't done anything wrong it definetly falls into the grey area. It might be prudent to scale back the overt link between the club and the owners other interests. 

Folk saying it’s scamming people are losing the run of themselves. 

It’s a business.

The business model of any business is to get people to spend money which will be profit for the business. 
I suppose it’s most similar to the National or Postcode lotteries. 
I pay £20 by direct debit every month because I hope I’ll win £1million. The fact I’ve won probably no more than £100 in 20 years doesn’t make it a scam. 

It’s not a bloody pyramid scheme praying on the stupid and desperate ffs. 

I don’t like the disingenuous way the Andy Robson account presents itself as a dude who is good at reading the form guide rather than a business but it’s not deliberately suggesting you put on bad bets as is suggested.

It’s just typical internet hyperbole, folk getting all high and mighty about something that’s not quite how they’re portraying it. 

Just doing a wee round-up of Dundee loanees, how've you felt about Byrne, Rudden and the 15 minutes or so you saw of Lee Ashcroft (Murray said there was maybe a chance of him popping up near season's end - any updates on that?) Rudden more relevant than Byrne tbh considering only one will be around at Dens next season.

And once again, best of luck in the play-offs, hope you get up.

Just now, RossBFaeDundee said:

Just doing a wee round-up of Dundee loanees, how've you felt about Byrne, Rudden and the 15 minutes or so you saw of Lee Ashcroft (Murray said there was maybe a chance of him popping up near season's end - any updates on that?) Rudden more relevant than Byrne tbh considering only one will be around at Dens next season.

And once again, best of luck in the play-offs, hope you get up.

Byrne has been excellent overall for us, really composed and uses the ball well,  not the quickest to get himself around the pitch, but he positions well and makes up for it more often than not. Really surprised he was considered surplus.

Rudden has been hot and cold, perhaps mostly the latter in his time here. Scored a few goals, important ones too but not as many as I think everyone expected. He's not a guy you want to be a hold up man or lone forward, his touch is very often lacking. For me he's just a chaotic player, just disrupts everything, both the opposition and occasionally his own team. 

Ashcroft was unfortunate.

Byrne was excellent in the first half of the season.  Not so effective in the second half but that was largely down to being in and out of the team.  I'd be happy to see him sign on next season.

Rudden looks great sometimes and completely drifts out of the game at others.  Personally, I'd look elsewhere for next season regardless of what league we're in.

I liked the look of Ashcroft for the 20 minutes or so he played against Ayr.  Would probably be a good addition to the squad for next season.  Wouldn't necessarily want to take on both him and Hanlon though so depends on whether we're talking to him too.

Lee Ashcroft is proper 'what might've been' material. I am not saying we'd have won the league had he stayed fit, but perhaps the Arbroath collapse wouldn't have happened and then the pressure really would've gone onto Dundee United. It might also have allowed us to field consistent CB pairings, which would have made a difference. 

Byrne was excellent first half of the season but has been middling since and has been in and out the team as a result. It would be fair to say this mimics much of the rest of the team., so it wouldn't be fair to single him out in this regard. 

Rudden...I am not sold. Scored a few in his earlier games, but he often fades out the game. I don't think he has the attributes to be played as a lone striker, and for a tall player he is terrible in the air.