The New Raith Rovers Thread

IMO Hamilton needs to play in a front 2 and not as a lone striker , You just had to look how good he was playing up top with Joe nouble at Arbroath , At times it’s an easy option just to lump the ball up the park to him to flick a header on . 

7 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

A player can play for 2 clubs in one season, that's usually his parent club and a loan club, or two loan clubs. As Hannah didn't play on Saturday, he is able to join Montrose and play in the cup for them. 

Wasn't my question. He was named on the team sheet for the cup game on Saturday v Stirling but never played. My question was, can he then play for another club in the same competition, is he cup tied and therefore shouldn't have played for Montrose last night.

4 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

Wasn't my question. He was named on the team sheet for the cup game on Saturday v Stirling but never played. My question was, can he then play for another club in the same competition, is he cup tied and therefore shouldn't have played for Montrose last night.

I think because although he was listed on the bench for us but did not play means that he isn't cup tied. 

He will be now though. 

He's got a great opportunity this season at Montrose who should be aiming for the play offs again. 

39 minutes ago, basher brash said:

IMO Hamilton needs to play in a front 2 and not as a lone striker , You just had to look how good he was playing up top with Joe nouble at Arbroath , At times it’s an easy option just to lump the ball up the park to him to flick a header on . 

Agreed in the time he was on the pitch yesterday there were times he had no one near him in  support. Smith is more mobile so covers the ground better. 

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

I asked Davie on the RaithTV coverage, and he believes that since it’s a friendly, and not an official match, he should be able to. I was of the same mind…but now I have to look.

Annex 1, Eligibility, 12 specifies Official Match. An Official Match. under A. General, Definitions and Interpretation A4, is “a Football match within the framework of Organised Football under the auspices of and organised by the Company and includes, without limitation, all League Matches, Play-Off Matches, League Cup Matches, Challenge Cup Matches, Reserve League Matches and matches in any other Competitions”. This leads us to Organised Football, which in the same section explicitly excludes “friendly…Football matches”.

So, yes, he can play in a friendly, but I’m assuming that is if Montrose don’t mind.

Effectively the same thing, the same way I figured it…but ask Queen’s Park why you read the rules.

Both games were/are in the League Cup. I'm assuming that because he was an unused sub on Saturday that he was eligible to play for Montrose. Just something in the back of my mind that someone got booted from the competition for the same thing.

17 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

I mean, I did answer your question. Specifically with this line

As Hannah didn't play on Saturday, he is able to join Montrose and play in the cup for them. 

Being in the match squad does not cup tie you as a player. Playing minutes (making an appearance) does.

6 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I'd be interested to see how we got on playing some version of a 442 with a fluid midfield. 

This will probably happen once Vaughan is back. Stanton isn’t the answer in the number 10 role as he doesn’t support the striker enough (He does everything else well enough incase anyone thinks I’m calling him out). I’d like to see Smith and Hamilton play up together but it leaves no one on the been to bring on up top.

6 minutes ago, Moonball said:

Some nice production but the commentators need to take their blue tinted specs off. Rovers weren’t lucky and that’s a foul everyday of the week. Game should have been out of sight anyway.

32 minutes ago, Raithfan2711 said:

Some nice production but the commentators need to take their blue tinted specs off. Rovers weren’t lucky and that’s a foul everyday of the week. Game should have been out of sight anyway.

Yeah Stranraer we’re organised and worked hard but imo if we weren’t so wasteful we would have scored 3 or 4 , we scored too early and relaxed, decent goal by Stranraer but they didn’t deserve anything out of the game 

39 minutes ago, Moonball said:

Nice coverage overall. Thought Stranraer dug in well, played some good tidy stuff throughout but like us, slowed it down a lot and didn't quite have a good outball. Its good seeing more teams want to actually play football instead of this horse it forward approach. 

As for the free kick, not sure why the defender has gone in there and given the referee a decision to make. Felt it was soft at the time, but also stupid from the defender. 

17 hours ago, embow said:

Quite possibly. But I ask the question,  would we  have been capable of hitting eight goals against East Kilbride? Doubtful to be honest. We are not prolific and proficient in front of goal as things stand.

Coming back to this, the highlights are here: 

and not to take anything away from Airdrie who are no doubt pleased with that scoreline, but some of the East Kilbride defending looks like someone disconnected the controller in the middle of a game of Fifa....

2 hours ago, MICMAC said:

Both games were/are in the League Cup. I'm assuming that because he was an unused sub on Saturday that he was eligible to play for Montrose. Just something in the back of my mind that someone got booted from the competition for the same thing.

Sorry, misunderstood.

SPFL Annex B, 8.4 specifies to be prohibited the player must have “played in a Match by entering the field of play” to be Cup tied.

2 hours ago, MICMAC said:

Just something in the back of my mind that someone got booted from the competition for the same thing.

Except if you're Hearts. They fielded an illegal player a few seasons back at Cove, in our group, and were deducted two points. Normally, the opposing team would be awarded the points and a 3-0 win, but that would have eliminated Hearts and made their televised game at home to Inverness on the last day a dead rubber, much to the chagrin of the TV company, therefore the SPFL only deducted two points to keep the group alive. There is no banana republic in the world that can lace the boots of a SPFL committee.

17 hours ago, Raithie said:

Talking of signing targets can we sign Graeme Kilgour as the new tannoy announcer? 😂

He was far too loud last night.  That was actually ridiculous.  Couldn't hear the people I was talking to because of it.  Whole tannoy thing needs to be toned down a bit.  I get trying to get the crowd up for it but come on!

19 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

He was far too loud last night.  That was actually ridiculous.  Couldn't hear the people I was talking to because of it.  Whole tannoy thing needs to be toned down a bit.  I get trying to get the crowd up for it but come on!

At least he doesn't have the mic in his mouth like the other guy. 

1 minute ago, Raith69 said:

Thistle have confirmed that Blair Alston has left the club.

What do you guys think about him being able to do a job for us?

He's mince. A couple decent games against us in the playoffs doesn't change that. Would hope we could do much better.

11 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

He's mince. A couple decent games against us in the playoffs doesn't change that. Would hope we could do much better.

Fair enough, agree would like to think we could do better too but he does offer experience and goals and assists to our midfield and whilst I would have stanton ahead of him I think he could play Sam's role possibly if Sam was unavailable 

Edited by Raith69