The New Raith Rovers Thread

19 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Not sure how much truth there is in the May rumour but anyone turning their nose up at him, thinking there’s a 20+ goal striker out there, needs to give themselves a shake.

Your right There isn’t any , we need the whole team contributing, maybe Stevie will link the play better and get more out of others 🤷🏻‍♂️ vaughan coming back and a change back some games to 4 1 3 2 should lead to an increase in goals, if he does sign an auld head leading the line and one who played all his career in higher standard leagues could be a good thing. 

Plenty of decent strikers who’ve played at our level and then absolutely failed to make the step up to the level Stevie May has spent the majority of his career.  I’ve no idea if there’s anything in the rumour but at the end of the day if it turns out to be true he’d be stepping down a level.  Decent chance he’d be a better player in comparison to his peers at this level.  May might not be the exciting prospect he once was but what he is, is an experienced player whose played his entire career a level above where we are and he’s only 31. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

Kevin Nisbet rocked into Starks Park with 8 career goals. Brian Graham had 10 goals for Morton (15 for East Stirling on loan mind you) before he joined us. Both scored 29 goals each.

Two prime examples of players who have came in with uninspiring goal scoring records and have performed very well for the club. No doubt we will find another one again. 

5 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

He's always been a shadow of the player who left St Johnstone first time around unfortunately, and after looking like a genuinely exciting prospect, his injuries completely derailed him.

He lost a lot of confidence with that injury, which is the biggest issue it's caused him I think. He obviously lost some explosiveness and power too, but it took something mentally.

He was outstanding for us beside Callum Hendry in Tommy Wrights final 6 months, and then again in 22/23 when we hit form and he was getting support in attack.

His struggle, since that injury, has always been when the club struggles and the support to him drops away, he then struggles and his confidence just goes. Even in 13/14 he struggled in that situation (MacLean was injured for months and he hit a goal drought).

I think his best position now is either off the left, or supporting a main striker. He'll work like an absolute dog, and is great at finding passes others can't (particularly cut backs from the byline), but in terms of scoring if he doesn't hit it first time then you're expecting him to miss.

In form May gets near double figures in a good team, but I think you'd be looking at ~5 goals and a similar amount of assists out of him with highs/lows you'd usually expect. For us he's just simply no longer worth the contract he signed after hitting double figures a few years back.

1 hour ago, Wardy said:

Kevin Nisbet rocked into Starks Park with 8 career goals. Brian Graham had 10 goals for Morton (15 for East Stirling on loan mind you) before he joined us. Both scored 29 goals each.

Two prime examples of players who have came in with uninspiring goal scoring records and have performed very well for the club. No doubt we will find another one again. 

That’s a very good point. Sadly, in my 30yrs going to Stark’s Park, I can count on one hand the strikers we’ve had that fit that description. They don’t come along very often.

Airdrie looked liked they’ve snared a player in Ben Wilson from Cliftonville. Scored again just now away at Aberdeen.

Here was me naively thinking they’ll be relegation fodder after losing all their players, doesn’t now look like it.

Our early fixtures look tough.

18 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Currently looking grim for us getting into the next round

Yeah losing that late goal on Saturday pretty criminal. 

16 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Can someone with more intelligence than me tell me what needs to happen on Saturday for us to go through… @TxRover

There’s a really good thread in the cup forum about this. @Skyline Drifter doing the work so we don’t have to. Haven’t checked to see if it’s been updated tonight yet.

7 hours ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

image.png.ff6b4ba1ede718656ec7122f277992cb.png

English League 1 - never heard of any of them, and they will probably be on more wages usually than we can offer.

Connor Wickham and Cameron Jerome are well known lower league strikers 

12 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Can someone with more intelligence than me tell me what needs to happen on Saturday for us to go through… @TxRover

A win for Airdrie on Saturday at home to Queen of the South will surely see them progress as one of the best of three.

Both Ayr and Falkirk have a good chance of toppling Dundee United in their group. Falkirk on +5 and Ayr on +3 goal difference (same as us) 

Queens Park could be in with a decent chance at home to Kelty. A big win could see them be on of the three. They have +5 GD on 6 points.

Annan are on 7 points but have played all 4 games. So any wins from the above will see them eliminated. 

Spartans have same points and GD as us. They travel to Livi at the weekend though who already top the group.

Group F looking wide open. Wins for East Fife and Alloa at the weekend could see both qualify on 10 points. However EF travel to St. Johnstone and Alloa head to Greenock. Tough fixtures for both. 

Partick Thistle have same points and GD as ourselves but shafted themselves tonight losing to Clyde (Ashcroft OG too 🤣) they play Motherwell away at the weekend. Strange things have happened but they probably won’t make it as one of the 3 best even if they win narrowly at Fir Park.

Which leaves ourselves. We are the only team that could qualify now as a best placed team from our group. Hamilton with a win at Starks only sees them finish on 7 points. Basically need to win like 5-0 and hope teams like Falkirk/Ayr and Queen’s Park don’t win big. 

37 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Two problems with that…

1) I’m on holiday and away from slavering over books right now…even AI’s need a break.

2) Not sure I fill the more intelligence bill per most of the forum.

8 hours ago, Wardy said:

A win for Airdrie on Saturday at home to Queen of the South will surely see them progress as one of the best of three.

Both Ayr and Falkirk have a good chance of toppling Dundee United in their group. Falkirk on +5 and Ayr on +3 goal difference (same as us) 

Queens Park could be in with a decent chance at home to Kelty. A big win could see them be on of the three. They have +5 GD on 6 points.

Annan are on 7 points but have played all 4 games. So any wins from the above will see them eliminated. 

Spartans have same points and GD as us. They travel to Livi at the weekend though who already top the group.

Group F looking wide open. Wins for East Fife and Alloa at the weekend could see both qualify on 10 points. However EF travel to St. Johnstone and Alloa head to Greenock. Tough fixtures for both. 

Partick Thistle have same points and GD as ourselves but shafted themselves tonight losing to Clyde (Ashcroft OG too 🤣) they play Motherwell away at the weekend. Strange things have happened but they probably won’t make it as one of the 3 best even if they win narrowly at Fir Park.

Which leaves ourselves. We are the only team that could qualify now as a best placed team from our group. Hamilton with a win at Starks only sees them finish on 7 points. Basically need to win like 5-0 and hope teams like Falkirk/Ayr and Queen’s Park don’t win big. 

Yeah two things have cost us. Losing the late goal the other day is the most obvious but if we'd beaten Stranraer by the same margin we'd beat Stirling then any old win on Saturday might have done. 

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah two things have cost us. Losing the late goal the other day is the most obvious but if we'd beaten Stranraer by the same margin we'd beat Stirling then any old win on Saturday might have done. 

The big problem was not putting 4 or 5 past Stranraer the worst team in Scottish football last season. We are unlikely on recent showings to put 3 or 4 past Hamilton.

So we need to go do our part, which is win on Saturday. We also need to score a few goals in the process. I expect Hamilton come here looking to lay down a marker for the league too, it'll be a tough game.