The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, Enigma said:

I don’t care if you don’t buy it. I believe he was somebody we spoke to very early on in the search and came back to. All sorts of things, personal circumstances etc. can change in a few weeks.

If it's true (it isn't), then all that has changed is Raith have gotten desperate after being turned down so have caved to his demands by firing more cash than they wanted to at him.

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

I don’t care if you don’t buy it. I believe he was somebody we spoke to very early on in the search and came back to. All sorts of things, personal circumstances etc. can change in a few weeks.

Aye but hadn’t a replacement been identified before Murray was chucked? Otherwise why sack him after one game with no one to replace him.

The handling of this has been laughable and entertaining. 

I think it’s an interesting appointment, although seems to have achieved exactly what Murray has, if they hadn’t tried some nonsense spin people would be talking about the new manager not some strange bit of comms.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

If it's true (it isn't), then all that has changed is Raith have gotten desperate after being turned down so have caved to his demands by firing more cash than they wanted to at him.

Cool, enjoy your narrative, all the best enjoying McPake ball!

His name has been kicking about since the beginning so every chance he was a top pick. Seems left field to be top of the list unless there us some connection maybe from playing days. 

I do agree that externally Barrowman has thrown all his chips on the table. He has goodwill in the bank locally but now needs to produce the goods to back the new guy. 

4 minutes ago, The Tiel Burn said:

His name has been kicking about since the beginning so every chance he was a top pick. 

Any idea where?

Its not been mentioned once on this thread before today.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Or it could be, as Collins said, he had to take his wife and four kids into consideration before making the decision. As for the rest, all paper talk and nothing substantiated. Having said that, Barrowman has come across as a really poor 2nd hand car salesman, I'm sure he is trying his best for the club but he just doesn't come over that well, his patter may have worked on the kids and knuckle draggers that turned up at Kelty but Kirkcaldy is a different place altogether

Yeah you can search Collins in both this thread and the next manager thread and he hasn't been mentioned once until today. Was absolutely no chat about him on here which is surprising considering almost every other manager seemed to be. Hopefully that just means the raith board are smarter than the fans here.

Much like opposition fans didn’t have to watch our games and so came to the conclusion that sacking Murray was a ridiculous decision based only on our league position last year, I don’t expect many of them to actually watch the interview to get a bit of balance.
I'm sure they’ll just see the other guys turning us down and say there’s no way he was a top candidate. 

However, from several things he says in the interview it sounds very much like he had been speaking to us early in the recruitment process but didn’t want to commit for family reasons- maybe he didn’t want to uproot his kids, maybe the paycheque wasn’t big enough. 
Maybe we have decided to throw more money at him given the other knock-backs but I do believe what they are saying that he was one of the top picks from early in the process. 

4 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

However, from several things he says in the interview it sounds very much like he had been speaking to us early in the recruitment process but didn’t want to commit for family reasons- maybe he didn’t want to uproot his kids, maybe the paycheque wasn’t big enough. 
Maybe we have decided to throw more money at him given the other knock-backs but I do believe what they are saying that he was one of the top picks from early in the process. 

I was taking the piss earlier in the thread about the Barrowman claim but Collins clearly backs that line up . I'd imagine he was on good money at Barnsley and something wasn't right about our deal, I know someone at some point said they wanted the manager to live locally? Perhaps they money wasn't enough to consider moving especially with 4 kids.

Thought he came across well in the interview - liked his chat about commitment. Hopefully we can get some bodies in.

Where is he based? Is this going to be a long distance arrangement like Bullen had at Ayr. 

It's an interesting appointment for sure. He's won the English championship twice as a player which is no mean feat. 

The coaching in the states will hopefully be of benefit to us as he must have contacts over there. Can we potentially become a shop window for young players? 

In some images he's wearing USA tops, so has he coached as part of the national set up there at youth level? 

We may have contacted him early in proceedings but we have gone after others. So it's likely he's got a better deal for himself after a month. 

6 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Why the feck does it bother so many of the supporters of rival clubs, where he was on the list or even who he is, must be seriously worried hes gonna get us firing on all cylinders when the injuries clear up 

I can play this moronic game too!

Why does it bother Raith fans when opposition fans rightly point out that he very clearly wasn't the top choice and that only utter mugs buy that he was?

34 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Hold on, it sees like there actually are at least a couple of Rovers fans on here who genuinely believe the 'top choice' stuff, @Enigma and @Varna Rover.

Can either of you lads explain why, if that was the case, Raith Rovers made approaches to Peter Leven and David Healy, and apparently sounded out Rhys McCabe and Scott Brown, when they had their 'top choice' identified all along?

Healy actually got in contact with the club about the job, only for him to use use it as a bargaining chip to secure a better, longer contract with his own club. As for McCabe and Brown, all paper and bookie talk. Look at the odds they were giving out, they had absolutely no clue who it was going to be.