The New Raith Rovers Thread

So were Brechin in 2005 and they were pumped sideways in the First. Gregory Tade? Step up? Meh, there's optimism, and there's maybe too far?

So were we in 2003 and we managed to stay up.

Ah, pre season optimism.

I was pissed of the whole "God thing". It was never ever ever about God, it was about trying to find a move to a bigger club. I feel we should have given him an ultimatum, but im not John Mglynn and I dare say he has adequate replacements line up.

I wouldn't class the likes of Dougie Hill or Pelosi as adequate, tbh. Pelosi is pretty good going forward, but I remember him as being pretty poor defensively. Since McGlynn seems to have decided that we'll be playing with wingers (OMGZ etc), we won't be as reliant on our full backs going forward. This is a bit of a shame for Wilson, as I don't think he plays as well when he's not given license to go go forward as often. I think he poses more of a threat than Williamson does too, but never mind. Dougie Hill was released by Alloa, that signing wouldn't fill me with confidence. I've no idea about this Grant Murray chap, although if he's got a good amount of experience in division one, he'd probably be the one I'd sign.

I had my suspicions Marv was holding out for a better move all along and sadly I was right. I didn't think he'd sign for us, but I'm disappointed regardless.

Edited by Michael W

I wouldn't class the likes of Dougie Hill or Pelosi as adequate, tbh. Pelosi is pretty good going forward, but I remember him as being pretty poor defensively. Since McGlynn seems to have decided that we'll be playing with wingers (OMGZ etc), we won't be as reliant on our full backs going forward. This is a bit of a shame for Wilson, as I don't think he plays as well when he's not given license to go go forward as often. I think he poses more of a threat than Williamson does too, but never mind. Dougie Hill was released by Alloa, that signing wouldn't fill me with confidence. I've no idea about this Grant Murray chap, although if he's got a good amount of experience in division one, he'd probably be the one I'd sign.

I had my suspicions Marv was holding out for a better move all along and sadly I was right. I didn't think he'd sign for us, but I'm disappointed regardless.

So was Robert Sloan.

Like you I've been wary of our new signings, however I think we both need to concede that football is after all is said and done a very human affair, so it's very hard to categorise players as good or shite based on a spell at a previous club. There are numerous factors involved, particularly for part time players that affect their performance.

That being said there is still the case I made that not every journeyman who ends up on Raiths radar is a potential world beater after the McG fitness programme. There are players for whom small critical differences (In sloan's case for example- being pushed more central) that can turn someone elses cast off into a useful signing. We can but hope that McG is adept at spotting those players.

In the end, it's a complete lottery.

Edited by renton

Murray has been playing in the SPL, but he seems to be considered a right-back or defensive midfielder, neither of which we particularly need.

I see what you're saying about Sloan, but I'd argue that was at a lower level, thus less of a risk. We were signing a player released from the same level, not one whom was released at a lower level.

I've been far than impressed with McGlynn so far, but we'll have to wait until the season starts to see if it's justified or not. I'm not the manager after all. To me, it just seems like we've signed Second Division players. It's really hard for me to be optimistic when I consider that. I appreciate we have budget constraints, but with the prices going up and the potential for higher crowds, it does rankle a bit that our budget appears to have decreased somewhat.

I see what you're saying about Sloan, but I'd argue that was at a lower level, thus less of a risk. We were signing a player released from the same level, not one whom was released at a lower level.

I've been far than impressed with McGlynn so far, but we'll have to wait until the season starts to see if it's justified or not. I'm not the manager after all. To me, it just seems like we've signed Second Division players. It's really hard for me to be optimistic when I consider that. I appreciate we have budget constraints, but with the prices going up and the potential for higher crowds, it does rankle a bit that our budget appears to have decreased somewhat.

If it makes you feel any better we got promoted with second division players too. At the present time we have no idea how the bulk of the squad will react to the step up - I'ts hard to quantise players as first, second or third division players, particularly with the schoolboy logic that accompanies such disccusions on the internet. Such logic would invariably involve a team trying to get out of the second division by signing players exclusively from the division above, or alternately dumping the entire promotion winning squad of 'second div players' to make way for acknowledged 'first div players'.

There are huge risks in our squad and none of us are really sure how they wil react, on the other hand we've splashed cash on big ( :lol: ) name players before and come up short. Really no point worrying now I guess.

Edited by renton

If it makes you feel any better we got promoted with second division players too. At the present time we have no idea how the bulk of the squad will react to the step up - I'ts hard to quantise players as first, second or third division players, particularly with the schoolboy logic that accompanies such disccusions on the internet. Such logic would invariably involve a team trying to get out of the second division signign players exclusively from the division above, or alternately dumping the entire promotion winning squad of 'second div players' to make way for acknowledged 'first div players'.

There are huge risks in our squad and none of us are really sure how they wil react, on the other hand we've splashed cash on big ( :lol: ) name players before and come up short. Really no point worrying now I guess.

The only way I could really go about it is on how players coped with the level last year. I'd suggest those who shone are good enough, those who were mediocre or poor aren't. Obviously it doesn't always work like that though.

At any rate, there isn't anything that can be done now, as you say.

Murray has been playing in the SPL, but he seems to be considered a right-back or defensive midfielder, neither of which we particularly need.

Grant Murray can play right-back and centre half, but I don't think he's ever played in midfield.

He's a good player, but really struggles when surrounded by dross. He was a pretty poor captain for us.

If you've three other solid defenders, then I think Murray could slot in quite nicely, and be one of your better players.

Grant Murray can play right-back and centre half, but I don't think he's ever played in midfield.

He's a good player, but really struggles when surrounded by dross. He was a pretty poor captain for us.

If you've three other solid defenders, then I think Murray could slot in quite nicely, and be one of your better players.

McGlynn seems to like players who can play more than one position, so you never know. It'd be good knowing we have cover there if Wilson gets injured.

I'd say our defence is sound enough. Ellis may struggle a bit, but I'm confident Campbell and Wilson will cope.

Guest Dunc?
Least we have the hot prospect Lee Bryce. :)

I genuinely think Bryce will be quite a significant player for us this season...

I don't want to know what that says about my mental state.

i am hoping iain davidson will get put away for the remainder of the season :ph34r:

Oh, that's evil! :lol:

it does rankle a bit that our budget appears to have decreased somewhat.

My guess (and it is only that) is that the board are expecting a season at the arse end of the league to leave us with no appreciable upturn in gate receipts (especially as I'm expecting a few of the more senior players to have had promotion clauses giving them a pay rise). Or, they're taking the option to pay down the debt.

To be honest, I'm not unhappy with either of those.

My guess (and it is only that) is that the board are expecting a season at the arse end of the league to leave us with no appreciable upturn in gate receipts

If I was on the board ( :lol: ), I would go down this route, and then re assess the budget in January.