The New Raith Rovers Thread

Guest Spank the monkey
Yes, he was signed on a two year deal. He can't run but due to his other talents I've made peace with that.

Cheers

i would think Ferry would be backup for the first team this season with Smith being our first choice left winger, tho it begs the question who will play in the middle...

obviously captain fantastic wont get dropped which is a real shame since Sloan and Simmons could be an interesting combination in the middle of the park

No-one's suggesting we sign players outwith our budget. I (along with a few others) are a just a bit disappointed with the signings we have made.

Personally, I feel we've a very light squad. We've lost - Hislop, Wardlaw, Smith, Cook, Lumsden, Wales and Marv. In, we've got: Williamson, D. Smith and Tade. We have nowhere nearly adequately replaced what we've lost, which is a concern. We've lost 4 out and out strikers and replaced them a couple of guys, who although can play upfront, aren't really out and out strikers. On the face of it, you'd have expected: either more players in, or perhaps the same amount, but a slightly higher calibre. I could be wrong, but I don't see 3 wages totaling the same as 6 (I'll discount Marv since we tried to keep him). It does seem strange that the budget is cut despite the potential for higher gates and the fact the prices have went up. Maybe the budget has been cut to pay for the loan, I don't know, but it's had me wondering.

To take away from my negativity a bit, I'm glad Darren Smith has been brought in. He's the only one from the three who's genuinely impressed me when I've seen him play. I'm glad McGlynn has seen that the wide-left berth needs filled and brought him in. He can also play LB, which is handy if Ellis happens to get injured, or is required to play in the middle.

Edited to add: Look again at what we've lost: 4 strikers and 3 defenders. What have we got in? 3 wingers, one of whom will be played upfront. We're desperately short upfront and we need to get a defender in too.

A couple of qualifications to your reasonable concerns: Hislop and Lumsden spent a large part of the season on the side lines, so, if we were to examine it from this time last season, the squad is not nearly as light as you'd think - essentially only being one striker and a defender (cook) down. Wales only being ought in to cover for the injury of Wardlaw.

In essence, we started last seaosn with Wilson, Campbell, Ellis and Cook fit for defence with Davidson covering, and Weir, Wardlaw and K.Smith up front.

The sigining of one striker and a defneder would put us back, roughly, on terms with the fit squad we had starting last year.

A couple of qualifications to your reasonable concerns: Hislop and Lumsden spent a large part of the season on the side lines, so, if we were to examine it from this time last season, the squad is not nearly as light as you'd think - essentially only being one striker and a defender (cook) down. Wales only being ought in to cover for the injury of Wardlaw.

In essence, we started last seaosn with Wilson, Campbell, Ellis and Cook fit for defence with Davidson covering, and Weir, Wardlaw and K.Smith up front.

The sigining of one striker and a defneder would put us back, roughly, on terms with the fit squad we had starting last year.

not like you to be that sensible, must be due to lack of football :rolleyes:

When it comes to first team players, I wouldn't start panicing now. They may not be the most exciting of names but neither were Robert Sloan, David McGurn or even Craig Wilson.

I was excited by the signature of Sloan...largely I was looking forward to a midfielder who wouldn't take the ball to the wing, do a stepover then fall on his arse and give the ball back to the opposition. :lol:

I think a lot of next season will be dependant upon how well we benefit from the Livi situation. I don't think Ayr's signings are any better than the ones we've made and that 8th place would be quality. While we've lost Marv I think that McGlynn will have a defender in mind (though not a left back which is truely needed) who can step up to the job. As long as we don't sign Scott Thomson I'd be happy.

I was excited by the signature of Sloan...largely I was looking forward to a midfielder who wouldn't take the ball to the wing, do a stepover then fall on his arse and give the ball back to the opposition. :lol:

I think a lot of next season will be dependant upon how well we benefit from the Livi situation. I don't think Ayr's signings are any better than the ones we've made and that 8th place would be quality. While we've lost Marv I think that McGlynn will have a defender in mind (though not a left back which is truely needed) who can step up to the job. As long as we don't sign Scott Thomson I'd be happy.

I think McGlynn knows who his man is, and i do aswell. I give you Dougie Hill :(

Rumour, emphasise rumour, has it grant Murray is the prefered option.

heard he is playing tomorrow with Hill picking up a small injury

One that wont be happening. JM spoke to Marco Pelosi yesterday and told him that he wouldn't be signing him as he is only looking for A central defender.

Which seems to put paid to the theory that Marv not signing would give us more than one replacement. Given that out of the two that are training with us and obvious contenders, is there one more adept than the other at covering more than one position at the back ?

We'll sign a centre back within the next fortnight or so, who'll be either Grant Murray or Dougie Hill. We'll then sign a striker on loan from an SPL team who will make his debut at either Methil or Dumfries.

I don't think there's much doubt that'll be the case. That'd give us a total of sixteen senior players.

One that wont be happening. JM spoke to Marco Pelosi yesterday and told him that he wouldn't be signing him as he is only looking for A central defender.

Which seems to put paid to the theory that Marv not signing would give us more than one replacement. Given that out of the two that are training with us and obvious contenders, is there one more adept than the other at covering more than one position at the back ?

I was surprised Pelosi was even mentioned, never really rated him in his time with us.

Fair enough. It just seems to be more of a loss considering the options we had come the later part of last season. If ever we needed McGlynn to produce a good loan signing, it's now though. I really hope he'll get a guy who'll score 10-15 at least in, as I can't see Tade or Weir getting all that many goals.

Rumour, emphasise rumour, has it grant Murray is the prefered option.

I'd be happy with that. Much preferable to Dougie Hill.

Murray can play at CB and RB according to one of the Partick posters. Additionally, Darren Smith can fill in at LB if needed, as could Mark Ferry I guess. For any injuries to CBs, Ellis or Davidson (shudder) could fit in.

Just listened to the interview with J.McG on the clubs website.

Pretty much the same as before, but with a distinct hint of maybe more than just 2 more signings.

Mmm, a player released by Alloa. And a couple released from Elgin, that seems to be our level of ambition.

Btw i was kidding about Elgin, but you never know <_<

Mmm, a player released by Alloa. And a couple released from Elgin, that seems to be our level of ambition.

Btw i was kidding about Elgin, but you never know <_<

Seriously man, give us some suggestions.

As I said before, we are entering the First Division, not La Liga.

Its going to be difficult, yes. But we were the best team last season in the 2nd, so the 1st is the natural step up from that.

I love how some folk seem to think this is some metropolis of footballing greatness we are about to enter into.

Bang on Toni.

We'll stay up, and we won't have sign Eto'o to do it, despite the [perceived] footballing powerhouses we shall encounter.

Those panicking now are advised to wait until we lose at New Bayview before doing so.