The New Raith Rovers Thread

Spot on we never lost because of lack of effort we lost for a few reasons.

1. Our inabillity to defend set pieces. Nobody taking charge and McGurn was very hesitant to come out and claim corners and free kicks in his 6 yard box. However, Campbell's usually pretty strong in the air he just had an off day.

2. Our inabillity to deliver any decent set pieces. Everyone of our free kicks and corner were terrible however, this will improve when Sloan is back.

3. We had no striker holding the ball up and allowing midfield runners to get forward and Tade and Weir seemed to be making the same runs getting in each others way.

4. We have nobody to finish. We need a good finisher so tade can just get it back to them when he gets through on goal instead of shooting :(.

Was there an Ian Thompson that played for the Rovers in the early 70's? Maybe a defender?

Work argument.

There was a Dave Thomson who played sweeper for a few years who if I recall was related to the then manager Andy Mathews, son in law or something. He is now in the Police.

We also had an Ian Thomson who played a while after that who was a midfielder, late 80's I would guess

Last year we lost to Albion Rovers and had a reasonably succesful season so losing to Stirling isn't really case for hitting the panic button.

We didn't, you know.

Was there an Ian Thompson that played for the Rovers in the early 70's? Maybe a defender?

Work argument.

Robin Thomson a local chippy, who lived up Dunikier played for Raith then moved to East Fife where he scored the winner in 1982 cup tie, reports suggest he skelped the ball from Cellerdyke.

Dave Thomson played for Raith in the 80's as well he ended up owning Black's the newsagent in St.Clair Street, near the old sinclairtown railway station. For younger readers, its now a carpark.

Ian Thomson signed in 92 from QOS, and scored the winning goal (similar to the one Robin Thomson scored) against the Pars at East End, he was left back/left midfielder.

Edited by Whistle Blower

Someone on fantalk has posted an extract from todays courier with regards to the loan signing.

Saying the club he is at are struggling with injuries and the loanee may even have picked up an injury himself... Thats aww wee need :(

Edited by RaithRyan

Someone on fantalk has posted an extract from todays courier with regards to the loan signing.

Saying the club he is at are struggling with injuries and the loanee may even have picked up an injury himself... Thats aww wee need :(

I'd take from that that the signing is going to be Kevin Smith.

Edit: This is why, I can't see it being Damian Casalinuovo cause he's the new signing, I can't see it being Francisco Sandaza cause he's fucking quality and is a 1st team striker and I also can't see it being Jon Daly cause he's a 1st team player aswell. The only other striker that's been deemed as injured at Dundee Utd is Kevin Smith.

Edited by DJ Kutski

Extract from Courier 18/07/09

"Although Levein has long-term high hopes for the player, he stressed he currently sees him more as a work-in-progress than a striker who will make an immediate impact". He said, “Damian’s just a young boy and I’d put him in the same category as the likes of Mihael Kovacevic and Andis Shala when they came over".

Judging by what was said when Casalinuovo first signed, I dont think he was earmarked for the first team so I would reckon there was a chance it could have been him. Also ties in with the fact he dislocated his shoulder in his last game and Mcglynn mentioning injurys to the player himself.