The New Raith Rovers Thread

Well pre-season is over and it's been reasonably impressive.

We've beaten Blyth Spartans and Airdrie, we've also 'beaten' Hibs and we've drawn with Accies and Killie over 90 minutes. There's been a slight blip against Stirling but it being Stirling I'm not reading too much into it.

All in all, good start Mr McGlynn. Please keep it up.

Still struggling to see the logic of letting both Wardlaw and Hissy go, whilst not brining an out and out striker in.

:huh:

Are we that bad, that we are lamenting the loss of Mr Gareth 'Goals' Wardlaw

Tade will easily scored more this season than Wardlaw did last season.

Edited by Whistle Blower

:huh:

Are we that bad, that we are lamenting the loss of Mr Gareth 'Goals' Wardlaw

Tade will easily scored more this season than Wardlaw did last season.

Either Wardlaw or Hislop would have been adequate back up for this season.

I just cant see Tade scoring. He's looked lively and dangerous, right up untill the final third.

I'm pretty gutted I'm missing all this abuse Davo stuff. I love just looking around me and seeing fat, red faced men get their kncikers in a twist over him. I think Davo is so useless that I just about stopped grumbling at him by the end of last season. I would have loved to have seen him do the "shhh" gesture against Killie though. Especially after misplacing a pass, what a fucking idiot :lol:

Anyway. Looking forward to taking in my first match of the season against East Fife :D

Apparently Mark Campbell suffered a 'freak' gardening accident whereby a slab landed on his foot hence his absence from the starting lineup in the friendly last night. I wonder if he will be ok for the East Fife game on Saturday?

Article from The Courier

Sounds a bit far-fetched to me. Maybe Allan Walker sent the boys round to stick one on him.

m8 is a commonly used word by a majority of the population so thats bout a 1/5 (at a guess) of london compared to scotland as a whole population and correct me if im wrong and you said it was not a word. :rolleyes:

I've just seen this. Are you actually saying that 'm8' is a word? Fucking hell.

Either Wardlaw or Hislop would have been adequate back up for this season.

I just cant see Tade scoring. He's looked lively and dangerous, right up untill the final third.

I'll be open and honest, McGlynn was too hasty getting rid of Hislop. He hasn't replaced him with anyone, Tade and Williamson are NOT strikers. I've been looking at fantalk and a few guy's are talking about managerial casualties, and they reckon that Crawford might get the bullet. Who's to say that McGlynn might not get his jotters before him, he hasn't strengthened the team to withstand the pressure's of the 1st. I feel we have gone backwards, rather than going forward. I know money is the big factor but he sat on his hands for too long and relied heavily on the fact that Tade will come good in the striking department, i'd feel a bit better if he played Bryce from the start. Instead of another young striker from an SPL team, that to me would destroy my confidence. How is Bryce going to get a chance if the gaffer prefers a youth player from the top league.

BTW if this makes no sense at all, i apologise. I'm doped up due to swine flu :(

I'll be open and honest, McGlynn was too hasty getting rid of Hislop. He hasn't replaced him with anyone, Tade and Williamson are NOT strikers. I've been looking at fantalk and a few guy's are talking about managerial casualties, and they reckon that Crawford might get the bullet. Who's to say that McGlynn might not get his jotters before him, he hasn't strengthened the team to withstand the pressure's of the 1st. I feel we have gone backwards, rather than going forward. I know money is the big factor but he sat on his hands for too long and relied heavily on the fact that Tade will come good in the striking department, i'd feel a bit better if he played Bryce from the start. Instead of another young striker from an SPL team, that to me would destroy my confidence. How is Bryce going to get a chance if the gaffer prefers a youth player from the top league.

BTW if this makes no sense at all, i apologise. I'm doped up due to swine flu :(

Honest to god, if McGlynn gets sacked for having no money to spend you'll have never seen a more bitter, judgemental, ill informed, phlegmatic rant than you will get from me.

Hope the swine flu clears up.

There was some good stuff and some bad stuff in there last night. I thought the result qwas merited enough and against a full strength killie side as well.

Defensively we looked good enough, O'connor was his usual scatty self but did well enough with the shots he had to deal with, not much chance with the goal to be fair. Murray was very impressive again last night and really is looking like a decent find, it was good to see him form a decent partnership with Hill who managed a decent game.

Wilson did well enough defensively but needed to get to the byeline more than he did - when he achieves that he really is a class above for us.

Midfield was definitely the problem for us last night. Individually I thought Walker did well enough out on that right hand position - did what he copuld considering he isn't a winger and for me he's done enough in the pre seaosn to warrant a starting berth in his favoured middle position.

Simmons looked like the only really complete player we have in there, granted he is occasionally weak in the tackle, but when he has the ball he never panics and always looks for a pass, one of the more direct players in our team last night and one of the few to show any real creativity.

Ferry had problems last night, just not enough pace and a lot of stray passes. The fundamental problem is that up agianst anything other than a pedestrian paced opponent we cannot get away with Ellis and ferry on one side of the park, we need som pace in there to give a decent outball. Still, ferry did show one or two touches that prove he can be a decent player, albeit not in that position.

Davidson, now there's a controversy huh? Truth be told I couldn't care less about any gestures he feels he needs to articulate, I couldn't care less about his conduct off the pitch either, if he lost his head and cantona kicked some poor wee 8 year old in the south stand into the strotosphere I would blink an eyelid, but he cannot show those levels of performances and expect to play for us week in and week out. He never seemed to be marking anyone in particular, he wandered about aimlessly, drifted out of position and in general was a mess last night. That Killie broke so often through there is probably becuase we always looked like a man down in midfield with Walker and Ferry moving inside to cover for Davo. Granted he got himself in a good position for the header in the second half and got back to cover a near certain goal (from his own initial mistake mind) but for me the negatives outweight he positives. As a unit the midfield suffers for his inclusion.

Up front They did the best they could with scraps. Williamson was decent enough and looks comfortable enough through the centre, while his stated position might be out wide right (and we have scant cover there regardless) he is definitely worth a start in one of the two positions and will be an important player for us this year.

Tade showed exactly why McG wanted him, bulldozed his way past defenders, never gave up and was always looking for the ball. Defences will not enjoy playing against him this year. Didn't get much look in at the goals but I still believe he'll come good for us in that dpeartment.

Bryce has some frightening pace and is very direct, took his goal well and didn't panic, I certainly wouldn't mind him starting on saturday, would like to see him start up front with Tade and see what damage they could do to the EF defences.

We are still lacking communication between players at the moment, there neeeds to be a wee bit more gelling as a team as well and we do need a captain who isn't going to go through 90 minutes with his head down. On the up side we showed last night that the Stirling game performance shouldn't be the norm for this season and I'm happy enough with that.

I've just seen this. Are you actually saying that 'm8' is a word? Fucking hell.

Okay dokey, can we move on from this nonsense and back to the Rovers? Everybody take a deep breath....................... and relax.

Note to people wishing to write in textspeak on this forum - stop.

I was surprised by Hislop's release too, I can only assume it was for fitness reasons. If he was likely to stay fit for the season then yes, he would have been very useful to have around.

I was surprised by Hislop's release too, I can only assume it was for fitness reasons. If he was likely to stay fit for the season then yes, he would have been very useful to have around.

Thanks for that, the guy did everything right in his rehab to full fitness. also his experience to the youngsters would have been invaluable. Lee Bryce and Tam Graham are the future, they are chapping at the bit to get out there and they should get that chance, Tbh Bryce is ready.

Guest RRFC1
Williamson didn't find the net tonight, Weir's failed to find the net all pre-season and hasn't looked like doing anything...

Tadé works better than Weir does, he should be ahead of him in the pecking order atm.

am aware willamson didn't score but he has proved himself to be a goal scorer in pre season unlike tade, a know tade works hard but if we can't get any goals at the end of the day we'll get no points.. Weiry's just out of sorts the now and on saturday if he starts he's sure to score, ad rather see tade play as a winger and supply the strikers who can acually put the ball in the net

Weiry's just out of sorts the now and on saturday if he starts he's sure to score,

Now, I like Weir. When he's fully fit and focussed he's a great asset but he is never sure to score.

Like who? Weir, who's yet to score.

But we know Weir CAN score in a Rovers shirt. Have you forgotten how Weir stepped up when Smith got injured last season and Wales disappeared? He carried the strike threat almost single-handedly, and kept us going to the finish line. I accept he is not Marco Van Basten, but I'd rather have him in the team than not. He has provided most, if not all of Tade's ballooned chances pre-season, some of which I could have converted, and I'm sure Weir himself would have too. He will score, as will Tade, but at the moment I'm inclined to favour certainly Bryce and probably Graham in the mix somewhere for more experience and exposure. I'd try Bryce and Tade on Saturday, and if we can go 4-3-3 then perhaps Weir too, sitting a wee bit behind.

Thanks for that, the guy did everything right in his rehab to full fitness. also his experience to the youngsters would have been invaluable. Lee Bryce and Tam Graham are the future, they are chapping at the bit to get out there and they should get that chance, Tbh Bryce is ready.

bryce has done well in his short time on the pitch so far and maybe he does deserve a shout, however how can you tell from bloody leeds

ps saying in previous posts that maybe mcglynn should be sacked is just ridiculous

pps hope the swine flu clears your thinking :D

Edited by johnnymac