The New Raith Rovers Thread

Correct,a bollocks excuse.Alex Ferguson talks pish on a regular basis but somehow manages to be the manager of Man Utd

Fair point, but Ferguson talks pish to wind up people and plus, he's done enough in the game to allow himself to talk absolute gash. However, when Ferguson does a serious interview outwith a football match he actually comes across very well. Billy Brown, with all due respect, doesn't. I don't think he's got a brain even worth comparing with someone like McGlynn.

Fair point, but Ferguson talks pish to wind up people and plus, he's done enough in the game to allow himself to talk absolute gash. However, when Ferguson does a serious interview outwith a football match he actually comes across very well. Billy Brown, with all due respect, doesn't. I don't think he's got a brain even worth comparing with someone like McGlynn.

Sorry SS, after watching THIS video of Billy Brown I feel he comes across as thoughtful and respectful of our club.

Incidentally the pertinent part of the interview happens with around 2.30 to go when he states his intentions and says "if I ever get the manager's job here it'll be because John has gone on to manage a bigger club".

He also seems to be big pals with McGlynn having managed him at Musselburgh and co-managed Smith at Falkirk.

The front-runner.

John Hollins

Paquito, I am sure he is an assistant manager or coach at a lower-league spanish club.

John Robertson

Gary McAllister

Steve Paterson

Ok a few farfetched names but why not speculate... everybody else is.

Hollins failed at some conference side, IIRC. For that reason, I'd have to hope he isn't linked with the job.

Paquito - I wouldn't be against this appointment, but I don't think he's a realistic option.

Gary McAlister - Unaffordable.

John Robertson - Meh, probably not.

Steve Paterson - Please no.

I've no idea who I'd appoint. I can't believe some are seriously suggesting Calderwood would be a good choice, the man would be a complete and utter disaster. He's tactically inept for starters. Thankfully, he falls into the 'cannae afford him' category.

I have to agree that Danny lennon seems the likely choice. He's doing very well with Cowden and has links to the club from his playing days. The latter seems to be the favorite way of linking people with positions, so no doubt Brewster will also be touted.

I wouldn't give the job to Paul Smith. Appointing assistant managers as the manager is generally disastrous. His previous record as a manager isn't really inspiring either.

Do you think he deserves the step up though? :rolleyes:

I don't think I was the only one that suggested McGlynn wasn't ready for such a big job.

He got promotion from the 2nd at the 3rd(?) time of asking, and has you in a good position this year with a well organised yet limited team.

He's not an outstanding candidate by any means.

I don't think I was the only one that suggested McGlynn wasn't ready for such a big job.

He got promotion from the 2nd at the 3rd(?) time of asking, and has you in a good position this year with a well organised yet limited team.

He's not an outstanding candidate by any means.

Who else would you point out to the Dundee Utd board as an outstanding candidate?

McGlynn is as ready as he'll ever be for a step up to a bigger club.

Who else would you point out to the Dundee Utd board as an outstanding candidate?

Jimmy Calderwood's acheived far more at the top level than John McGlynn.

John McGlynn thus far can claim as much managerial sucess as Davie Irons or Jim McInally - not that much to suggest the competency or otherwise of a manager.

Edited by vikingTON

Derek McInnes would have been a better bet, although it would have been more difficult convincing him than it would be for McGlynn. They'd have never went for him for obvious reasons, but McCall would do a good job there if given a second chance.

If I was to really think about it, I'm sure I could get another 4 or 5 achievable options that I'd prefer to McGlynn.

Just my opinion though.

Insofar as McGlynn is a candiddate, of course it's not because of what he's achieved in the game thus far, I don't think anyone is claiming otherwise; it's because of his qualities as a manager.

By the same token, if we are having to find a new man ourselves, I hope it'll be on that basis. That McGlynn has achieved some moderate success with us on the pitch is at this stage only the tip of the iceberg to what he's done off it, the man management, the attention to detail and the sheer hard work that has turned the club right round and if he leaves us it'll be in the healthiest situation we have been for a good number of years. So I'd be looking for the same sort of manager to continue the work. Previous success or failure is of course relevant but not the be all and end all (there's a lot of luck involved in management after all, especially in the short term); so I wouldn't be too bothered about Smith's previous sackings *if* the board think he's the right person for the job, and similarly Lennon's current good run at Cowden doesn't overcome such doubts as I have about him - though I liked him as a player and I be delighted for him to prove me wrong.

It's very difficult to tell, really. At least I've got a bit more confidence in the current board's ability to make that judgement than I've had in some previous ones.

At least I've got a bit more confidence in the current board's ability to make that judgement than I've had in some previous ones.

Absolutely. The only real mistake I can see them making is appointing Smith - though in a temporary capacity I wouldn't mind as they'd then be more likely to make the right long-term choice.

Jimmy Calderwood wouldnt touch us with a shitey stick, but he would be a fantastic appointment.

He had a great league record, guiding the Dons into Europe twice and narrowly missing out on a couple of occasions. He was let down only by the Dons "Billy Big Time" attitude in cup games - but that has and always will be around the club.

Nicoll wouldnt go near us.

We've done the Paquito/Calderon thing already, dont really want to be going down that road again.

Steve Paterson? Fucked up with Aberdeen, and did very little with Forres Mecahincs and Peterhead. No thanks.

Neale Cooper is somebody who I have a lot of time for, although I highly doubt he'd be interested.

Lennon is a decent shout, and I think he would be interested in the job. Billy Brown's name always comes up every single time the Rovers hotseat is available - it aint gonna happen.

Having said that, Mcglynn hasnt gone yet. Out of interest, what is the source of everyones defiance that he is outbound?

Alan Moore is a scroat whom I cannot stand, but he would do I decent enough job I guess.

Meh I think we are probably almost safe from relegation, but with Airdrie now starting to pick some points up - this really isnt the best time to be managerless.

Edited by CALDERON

What about Allan Maitland?

Is happy to be a part-time manager, which rules him out.

I'm trying to think of any possible 'left field' appointments like McGlynn was, but nobody comes to mind at all. I think our new manager will be one of the people already mentioned.

I spoke to a few guys down the pub, and they had heard from a guy in the mercat who was told by his father-in-law that Mark Hughes will be approached if McGlynn were to leave!

Edited by Wardy

I'd be delighted with Maitland (in fact we should make an approach anyway, in case his circumsatnces have changed), and happy enough with Moore but that's not going to happen unless the chairman there has had a serious change of heart.

Jimmy Calderwood is a thoroughly unpleasant man, I wouldn't want him any more than he'd want to come.