The New Raith Rovers Thread

...and happy enough with Moore but that's not going to happen unless the chairman there has had a serious change of heart.

Is it common knowledge that they demanded massive compensation from Morton for him? Morton refused knowing they might be able to just take him if Stirling went under. Obviously, as you say, Rovers won't be paying any money for a manager.

Is it common knowledge that they demanded massive compensation from Morton for him? Morton refused knowing they might be able to just take him if Stirling went under. Obviously, as you say, Rovers won't be paying any money for a manager.

Yes, somewhere in the region of 60-100k if memory serves me right. That's when they didn't have their troubles to seek.

Allan Moore's a little bawbag anyway, wouldn't want him anywhere near the Rovers.

And he's not a particularly good manager. There's a reason Morton are the only team to even consider taking him away from Stirling.

Calderwood would be a bloody disaster, he may have done well with Aberdeen and Dunfermline, but he had some money to spend. We have hee haw at our disposal! Maybe McGlynn and Levein will have a chat and recommend a candidate to the Rovers board.

Im still unsure about the whole thing.

Mcglynn has done fantastic with us - lets be honest. He came in when we were in the relegation zone in the second division, and slowly but surely has turned us into a competative and hard working side, capable of giving anyone in the First Division a right good game. Great, cant speak highly enough of the professionalism and hard work ethic he has brought to the club.

However, an SPL club of Uniteds stature is a totally different kettle of fish. Mcglynn has got the team working hard for each other and dedicated for the cause. For us, that is great and exactly what was needed. Whilst he has always produced a very hard working and organised side, we havent really played what people would call - "attractive football". Yes the team will try and play the ball on the deck, but more often than not our tactics do rely on playing balls into space for pacey players etc, sort of "Route one" if you will , combined with a very robust defensive style - where everyone really has to "muck in" so to speak.

Now, I dont have a problem with that. It has got us results this season and suits the players that we have. Yeah it isnt fantastic to watch, but more often that not its been pretty successful. We have been grinding out results, which again, is fine by me.

Like I said though, the SPL is a different story. Mcglynn isnt really walking into a club in disarray (yes recent results for them have been shite, but thats understandable) The same kind of "rebuilding" work, isnt really required. After the work Levein has done, a totally different standard to our own will be expected (and probably demanded) by United fans. They wont (and quite rightly) simply settle for a hard working organised team. They will expect more "silky" football if you will. That is where Mcglynn lacks the experience I feel.

Now im not trying to belittle Mcglynns credentials. Like I say, he has done fantasticly well for us and I would love him to stay. However the credentials and qualities required for these two jobs are, I feel anyway, quite different.

Edited by CALDERON

Mcglynn has done fantastic with us - lets be honest. He came in when we were in the relegation zone in the second division, and slowly but surely has turned us into a competative and hard working side, capable of giving anyone in the First Division a right good game. Great, cant speak highly enough of the professionalism and hard work ethic he has brought to the club.

However, an SPL club of Uniteds stature is a totally different kettle of fish. Mcglynn has got the team working hard for each other and dedicated for the cause. For us, that is great and exactly what was needed. Whilst he has always produced a very hard working and organised side, we havent really played what people would call - "attractive football". Yes the team will try and play the ball on the deck, but more often than not our tactics do rely on playing balls into space for pacey players etc, sort of "Route one" if you will , combined with a very robust defensive style - where everyone really has to "muck in" so to speak.

Now, I dont have a problem with that. It has got us results this season and suits the players that we have. Yeah it isnt fantastic to watch, but more often that not its been pretty successful. We have been grinding out results, which again, is fine by me.

Like I said though, the SPL is a different story. Mcglynn isnt really walking into a club in disarray (yes recent results for them have been shite, but thats understandable) The same kind of "rebuilding" work, isnt really required. After the work Levein has done, a totally different standard to our own will be expected (and probably demanded) by United fans. They wont (and quite rightly) simply settle for a hard working organised team. They will expect more "silky" football if you will. That is where Mcglynn lacks the experience I feel.

Now im not trying to belittle Mcglynns credentials. Like I say, he has done fantasticly well for us and I would love him to stay. However the credentials and qualities required for these two jobs are, I feel anyway, quite different.

A very good post and not a lot I can disagree with

Regarding Maitland..He`s has a well paid job outside football so unlikely to be him unless we make it a part time position

At the moment McGlynn literally breathes the Rovers, does all the work, basically runs the place. A Part time manager wouldn't be able to do what McGlynn has done. A full time manager is the only option. This should definately rule Maitland and any other part time managers out there.

At the moment McGlynn literally breathes the Rovers, does all the work, basically runs the place. A Part time manager wouldn't be able to do what McGlynn has done. A full time manager is the only option. This should definately rule Maitland and any other part time managers out there.

Furthermore, who's going to take the full-time players' training if we appoint a part-time manager?

You're correct - a full-time manager is the only option.

Furthermore, who's going to take the full-time players' training if we appoint a part-time manager?

You're correct - a full-time manager is the only option.

Exactly, the players can't train themselves, we don't have first team coaches! :lol:

Like I said, If McGlynn were to leave for pastures new, then he will probably, like Levein, help us find a new manager. Someone who is interested in the bigger picture rather than just first team matters will be the right man for the job. hopefully the board look into this as well.

Interesting post, but I don't see any particular reason why the same methods won't transfer to a higher level. At Raith he's working with very little, but he's got ordinary players to play above themselves, either by coaching or (I suspect more importantly) by getting them to believe in him and in the club - several players have made comments to this effect in interviews in ways that I think they clearly believed, it wasn't just platitudes or being nice to the gaffer. And you can see the results of it on the pitch anyway.

At Dundee United he'd obviously be working with a higher class of player, but it'll still be very limited resources within the new context, it's still going to be all about getting the best out of what he's got. And I'd appoint McGlynn above some big-name Charlie every time when it comes to that.

It seems that John McGlynn leaving isn't anywhere near as much of a foregone conclusion as we were thinking. The Irish press seem to be all over Bohemians' gaffer Jim Fenlon for the post, and he was definitely interviewed yesterday, down in London, and Thompson only went down to London so he could speak to Billy McKinlay about the job.

It seems that John McGlynn leaving isn't anywhere near as much of a foregone conclusion as we were thinking. The Irish press seem to be all over Bohemians' gaffer Jim Fenlon for the post, and he was definitely interviewed yesterday, down in London, and Thompson only went down to London so he could speak to Billy McKinlay about the job.

I saw that myself, just didn't want to get my hopes up. Certainly seems that the people who've been posting it's a done deal have jumped the gun a little bit though, even if he does end up going.

Dave Somerville said at the weekend we've heard nothing from Dundee United as well, so McGlynn is far from gone, although being the pessimist that I am I still expect him to.

Dave Somerville said at the weekend we've heard nothing from Dundee United as well

To whom?

If McGlynn has been approached/interviewed for the job or not been approached why does the board not come out and say fekin so.Theres zilch on the website and fook all quotes in any papers

To whom?

If McGlynn has been approached/interviewed for the job or not been approached why does the board not come out and say fekin so.Theres zilch on the website and fook all quotes in any papers

It was in one of the papers, I think. Anyway, he's said it again in today's Courier -link.

I imagine there's nothing on the website because there's simply nothing to tell.

I think there should be a press conference every time nothing happens. I'd like to know that Man Utd definitely haven't put in a bid for Robert Sloan, and I'd also like it confirmed that aliens haven't stolen the Railway Stand and replaced it with a hologram.

:o Where will the flag go now!? Or is that holographic now too?

It was in one of the papers, I think. Anyway, he's said it again in today's Courier -link.

Cheers

I imagine there's nothing on the website because there's simply nothing to tell.

Your link to the Courier shows there is something to tell to an extent,that "no approach has been made as yet".Surely not too difficult to put a statement of the like on their website.

I think there should be a press conference every time nothing happens. I'd like to know that Man Utd definitely haven't put in a bid for Robert Sloan, and I'd also like it confirmed that aliens haven't stolen the Railway Stand and replaced it with a hologram.

Sarcasm,the lowest form of wit

Edited by Rovers_Lad