The New Raith Rovers Thread

Ah c'mon, stick in Sacha the Slasher! laugh.gif

He used to chat up my mrs a lot in Jacks when he was at the Rovers. The swine.

(I was secretly very proud - and I certainly wasn't going to call him on it; he'd some chist on him )

Mark Ferry would be a very decent addition for Alloa. He showed last year that he's a good player at Second Division level. He can pass a ball well, likes to get forward and support the attack and has a decent shot on him. He was thrown in at full-back a few times last season too and coped well. However, the one thing that lets him down badly is his lack of pace. He's slow, which does limit him a fair bit. He's best utilised in the centre of midfield. Although he can also play on the left, he can drift out the game a bit when played there. His lack of pace also limits his effectiveness out wide; he's not likely to beat a few players, burst into the box and cut the ball back across goal.

I haven't heard any rumours, although I wouldn't be surprised if he did go out on loan. He's bound to be a bit frustrated by his lack of opportunities, and some first-team football would be beneficial to him.

So for all that injury crisis and the almost frightening loss of form at the end of the year we finished up with 11 of the target of 12 points from the second quart of games? (Six of them from Partick, the way the fixtures worked out.) And still slightly ahead of target for the season.

Plus, it's not going to need as high a points total to avoid the bottom two spots this season, I don't think we need very many more wins at all to keep clear of a relegation scrap. Maybe even just another three would do it.

I'm very happy this evening. A decent showing in the cup and another win at East End and that'll be my season made.

So for all that injury crisis and the almost frightening loss of form at the end of the year we finished up with 11 of the target of 12 points from the second quart of games? (Six of them from Partick, the way the fixtures worked out.) And still slightly ahead of target for the season.

Plus, it's not going to need as high a points total to avoid the bottom two spots this season, I don't think we need very many more wins at all to keep clear of a relegation scrap. Maybe even just another three would do it.

I'm very happy this evening. A decent showing in the cup and another win at East End and that'll be my season made.

Only goal difference seperates ourselves and the supermassive big team from Halbeath Road who were playing in the SPL a few years ago. :laugh::biggrin: Win our next two games and things will be looking a lot, lot rosier in our side of the garden.

If we can win 2 out of our 3 next games, it'll be a week (well, 10 days) of massive importance for Raith Rovers.

We beat Airdrie, and win against Morton, and we're getting a pretty big cash injection from the Aberdeen game, as well as pushing further ahead of Morton. We lose to the Townies, but in the grand scheme of things, that doesn't really matter much. They're league position seems a bit false, and they'll definitely finish higher than us.

We beat Airdrie, and lose to Morton but win at East End Park. Same money from the Cup, and same points total as Scenario One, but with the added bonus of scanning the barcodes on their own patch, again. Morton might have more points than Scenario One, but all is still rosy in the garden.

We lose to Airdrie, but win both league games. We miss out on the payday against the Dons. A stunned silence descends over the nation as Raith Rovers astonishingly don't progress in a cup competition. This is soon forgotten, as we beat Morton and the Pars, and all but secure our place in Division One for next season.

I'm not saying we will win 2 of our next 3. I'm not saying it's even that likely. But it's not impossible, and it'd be fantastic.

I'm not saying it's even that likely. But it's not impossible, and it'd be fantastic.

Thats the fantastic thing about this season for us.

Queens at Palmerston, Dundee at home, Townies at East End after our spanking in the cup, Partick at home, Queens at home, Partick at Halloween and Partick yesterday: Everyone said they would be difficult to impossible for us to get a result at but we've managed to get points on board.

Queens at Palmerston, Dundee at home, Townies at East End after our spanking in the cup, Partick at home, Queens at home, Partick at Halloween and Partick yesterday: Everyone said they would be difficult to impossible for us to get a result at but we've managed to get points on board.

Not me; provided we have a full squad there is nothing to fear here.

Just read that Laurie Ellis' wife gave birth on Boxing Day. It's a pretty wild theory, but there's every chance her pregnancy has been playing on his mind, and he might be a wee bit happier now the baby's here. Hopefully we'll see some more relaxed, better quality football from him.

As posted in the thread for the original Pars game.

You can just call me The Oracle.

Everyone seems to forget our win at Ross County when talking about our excellent results this season. That was an outstanding result for us.

Just like mid-November, we're now faced with a run of games that could see us completely safe from relegation. In November/December, we played Morton, Ayr and Airdrie - we all agreed seven points from nine, hardly unthinkable, would mean we would probably see out the season comfortably. Unfortunately, we took just two. Now the next four games are massive for us - Airdrie in the cup which would give us a payday against Aberdeen, Morton where a victory would see us fourteen points clear of them with a game in hand, Dunfermline which technically speaking is the least important but derbies can be huge for morale, and then away to Ayr where avoiding defeat would see us retain a comfortable gap over them, a win and I wouldn't expect them to get anywhere near us, unless they hit an outstanding run of form and we completely collapse.

By the time February starts, I expect we'll all have an idea how comfortable, or uncomfortable, the last few weeks of the season will be.

does anyone know how much kevin smith would cost? just thinking aloud really if we were to beat airdrie and make a few quid from the aberdeen game coupled with the rumoured skintness of united

I think we'll only manage to get a fair idea of what they'd expect when their new manager (whoever he may be) has an opportunity to have a look at him. Of course, if they're really as skint as is being made out, perhaps they'd be happy to sell for £20k. Indeed, they may even need to let a few players go for free to get them off the wage bill. Their alleged situation is purely hearsay as of yet, though.

Other than that, I don't think we could afford him if we managed to secure the match against Aberdeen. I think we'd probably have to beat the Dons as well and draw one of the OF if we were to have any chance.

Gordon Brown isn't going to win the next election anyway. Why doesn't he just sanction the signing of Smith and plonk it on his parliamentary expenses? He can even claim Smith is a secretary and claim a portion of his wages. Do it Gordon, do it!