The New Raith Rovers Thread

theres no chance Davo is going to be released he, Williamson and Simmons are 3 of myglynns favourites so cant see that happening. I hope for next season he doesnt try and accomodate all of them and walker in the midfield just doesnt balance it right. No point in having players who play the natural positions ie left/right mid sitting on the bench just to accomodate players.

Walker has played ok at the right side but he has been far more effective in the middle and can deliver a hella lot better ball than he did last season. If we are looking for the team to move forward we need to use players in their natural positions to get the best out of them and really hope we can sign at least 1 more striker (if our signing rumours are true) Kevin Smith may be a good shout and im sure discussions have already started on this front as i doubt he will be anywhere near the 1st team for the amount of strikers utd have he'd struggle to get a game in the reserves just now!

McGurn, Campbell (if his knee isn't ruined), Walker and Tadé are the players that might be looked at by better sides than ourselves. Would be devastated to lose any of them.

In the case of McGurn and Campbell it would have to be another part time outfit.Both have good jobs outwith football and in Campbells case a job hes not long been in.

In the case of McGurn and Campbell it would have to be another part time outfit.Both have good jobs outwith football and in Campbells case a job hes not long been in.

I could see McGurn going to Partick and Campbell signing for Ayr, for geographical reasons rather than anything else. McGurn stays and works in Glasgow and is on record as saying he barely has a minute to himself, while Campbell works in and travels from Ayrshire and has a young family.

Whether Partick would want a part-time goalkeeper and whether Ayr would be in the market for another big centre half is another question. I don't think Campbell does want to move, going by his constant appearances at games right now - he really doesn't have to make the effort, but it's a testament to the man that he does. Another reason why he should be captain, but that's another debate for another day.

Edited by Paco

There was an interview with McGurn in the semi final programme and he was quoted as saying something along the lines of he wouldn't rule out the possibility of turning full time again in the future if the opportunity was right.

He did also say he loved it at Rovers though.

Do you think we will edge ever closer to being a full-time club in the summer.

No for 2 reasons

1) we are skint (well less skint than we were, still short of being skint in a scottish footballing sense, but still skint)

2) excellent excuse to roll out if you beat / relegated

Do you think we will edge ever closer to being a full-time club in the summer.

There is no need to go totally full-time, the difference in training is probably around 6-8 hours at most, two of our top performers are part-timers in Davie McGurn and Mark Campbell. Financially it might not be that far out of our reach, but a part-time/full-time hybrid allows flexibility and opens up an extra market when looking for players. Having a committed manager like McGlynn is key to this though, someone willing to work the hours to satisfy both camps.

I can't agree with those who want to keep Sloan. Recently, McGlynn has avoided playing him despite a massive fixture pile up. If that's not enough to give him a chance, I really don't know what is.

I've defended Sloan on many occasions on here, from what I percieved to be very unfair criticism. He is an excellent passer of the ball, and he does have a good delivery on him. However, he suffers from a lack of consistency much like Simmons does, and he can be a bit slow at times. I'd personally see him as a decent player, but if he's not going to be given a chance, then there's very little point in him staying here.

Agree with all of that, Sloan has done very well for us so it's with a little sadness I'd let him go, but it's hard to see him fitting in anywhere next season. (Is that three years he's been here now? And I never have worked out what his best position is.)

Here's a question...

Say we're going into the last 15 minutes of a game, and we've made all three subs. Davie McGurn comes tearing out of his goal and brilliantly slide tackles an advancing forward, before launching the ball up the field. However, moments before the ball drops over the flailing arms of the opposition keeper and into the net, the referee blows his whistle and sends Oor Davie off, claiming it was an unfair, last man challenge.

Who'd go in goal?

I think it'd be Laurie Ellis. He seems like the type who'd gladly pull on the gloves and run around the box at every corner like he's hailing a cab. Either that, or Stephen Simmons would continue his quest to play in absolutely every position for us.

Here's a question...

Say we're going into the last 15 minutes of a game, and we've made all three subs. Davie McGurn comes tearing out of his goal and brilliantly slide tackles an advancing forward, before launching the ball up the field. However, moments before the ball drops over the flailing arms of the opposition keeper and into the net, the referee blows his whistle and sends Oor Davie off, claiming it was an unfair, last man challenge.

Who'd go in goal?

I think it'd be Laurie Ellis. He seems like the type who'd gladly pull on the gloves and run around the box at every corner like he's hailing a cab. Either that, or Stephen Simmons would continue his quest to play in absolutely every position for us.

Stevie Simmons super goalie.....

I could see Walker being game for it. Would love to see Tade have a shot, his remarkable unpredictability would at least make it exciting.....

I also think Ferry should stay. He has good ability and offers great versatility.

I love Laurie Ellis as a player but for me he has blown hot and cold all season. If he comes up against someone with real pace they just run round him as if he is not there. And as he gets older then it's just going to happen more often.

I'm not sure about gatheussi. When he's good he's great but when he's bad he's really bad (Airdrie away). On balance I wouldn't keep him.

I also think Ferry should stay. He has good ability and offers great versatility.

I love Laurie Ellis as a player but for me he has blown hot and cold all season. If he comes up against someone with real pace they just run round him as if he is not there. And as he gets older then it's just going to happen more often.

I'm not sure about gatheussi. When he's good he's great but when he's bad he's really bad (Airdrie away). On balance I wouldn't keep him.

Gatheussi is a hard one.

It's obvious that he has the ability to play in this league but there's no middle ground with him. He's either very good or very bad.

If the consistancy of our other defenders could rub off on him a little we'd have a cracking player there.

Stevie Simmons super goalie.....

I could see Walker being game for it. Would love to see Tade have a shot, his remarkable unpredictability would at least make it exciting.....

im coming out in a cold sweat just thinking about that

I see Wardlaw has scored 16 goals for Cowden this season! blink.gifblink.gif

See i must be one of the few that ain't surprised by that, he looks a good player. Pity about that horror injury he got for us after a silky run!

He'd have scored more goals for us this season than Graham Weir has.

Discuss.

In hindsight, yeah, he probably would've.

Last season though, Graham Weir was fantastic towards the end, and Wardlaw could barely go three games without getting injured (through no fault of his own). He was hardly playing like Wayne Rooney when he was on the pitch, although he didn't do badly.

Letting him go was the right decision at the time.

In hindsight, yeah, he probably would've.

Last season though, Graham Weir was fantastic towards the end, and Wardlaw could barely go three games without getting injured (through no fault of his own). He was hardly playing like Wayne Rooney when he was on the pitch, although he didn't do badly.

Letting him go was the right decision at the time.

Totally agree Dunc.

Weir earned his contract extension by basically carrying our title charge after Smith got injured. Whilst Wardlaw has been impressive this campaign (and certainly never let us down when played) 16 goals in the 2nd Division doesn't necessarily compute into scoring in the 1st, though obviously with hindsight more than likely would have scored at least once for us this season.

Best team to play against this season so far is Partick with the worst being Inverness, the only team we failed to beat.

Beat Ross County on Saturday and that'll be 9 pts we've taken from them this season.

Airdrie - W 1 - L 2 - D 1

Ayr - W 1 - L 1 - D 2

Dundee - W 1 - L 2 - D 1

Dunfermline - W 1 - L 3

Inverness - L 4

Morton - W 1 - L 2 - D 1

Partick - W 2 - D 2

QotS - W 1 - L 1 - D 2

Ross County - W 2 - L 1.......

Edited by Andy C