The New Raith Rovers Thread

Anyone who expected anything more than a struggle this season is seriously deluded.

This x 100

Our target this season is to survive in the division and hope we get a break for next year with the Pars coming down. At the moment I still believe both those things will happen.

McGlynn has progressed us year on year for 5 years yet one half season struggling and now everything he touches supposedly turns to shit. Rubbish.

No consolation I'm sure, but Brian Reid is heavily criticised by a significant number of Ayr fans for almost the exact same things as McGlynn. Both managers have similar CVs in terms of recent successes, resources and tactics. Classic cup half empty/full scenario, but I sympathise with anyone suffering a slow painful death constantly watching 10 men behind the ball at home ...

and hope we get a break for next year with the Pars coming down.

Straight from the John McGlynn book of cliches ;)

McGlynn has progressed us year on year for 5 years yet one half season struggling and now everything he touches supposedly turns to shit. Rubbish.

We did have a 5 year plan right enough but for the life of me cant remember what it was.This poor run of form,results. performances has been for longer than one half season.

McGlynn,the team,the BoD having been given the plaudits when merited in the past and its to be expected and accepted they get the criticism when merited.

"user_green.pngAndy C user_popup.png Posted Today, 09:49

snapback.pngRovers_Lad, on 06 January 2012 - 09:09, said:McGlynn showed his managerial capabilities with his team selection against Dunfermline at East End Park

Aye, let's judge him on that bad selection whilst conveniently overlooking a 2nd division championship and a run to the SC semi final.

Let's also forget about him making us a credible force again playing in the 1st division where we belong and judge him solely on a team selection that was honestly made but didn't quite work.

Anyone who expected anything more than a struggle this season is seriously deluded. "

frist time posting on here so bare with me

Andy c as much I think McGlynn has done a OK job up to now he won the 2nd division all be at 3rd time of trying and the cup run was good while it lasted though for me it was other bad team selection that cost us a final place. can't really fault Mcglynn much till now (thought think Calderon was doing everything McGlynn have done in much less time but that's another story).

But this season has been awful. He was able to pick ten of the side that was for most of the last season top. He let Wilson and Campbell go because he wanted to go full time. He only lost two players that he would have even played this season tade and Simmons (Ferry and Weir never got a game under him) and he was able to bring in two replacements Doesn't sound like a recipe for a disaster season that we are having. McGlynn has no excuses the players are his. The decision to go full time and have a smaller squad was his.The two he has brought in (Graham and Hamill) have been awful. He has turned good players last season like Walker, Murray, dyer and even Barid into rubbish and has brought in the hearts boys and Reynolds and either not played them or as people are saying Mcglynned them an am sure Clarke is next. am not someone how likes to get rid of a manager at the first mistake and a I know we can't afford to sack him but something needs to be done about him or he needs to step down before we go down. beacuse we are rubbish and this is all Mcglynn mess and he is not the man for the job anymore he has clearly lost the dressing room and has taken us as far as he can

Edited by spam12

Don't ever suggest that Dundee Utd didn't deserve that final. Other than the first fifteen minutes they dominated that game, and it wasn't through our own fault either. They had a good team, with a good spirit. They had one of the best supports I've ever encountered in person too, driving away from the stadium a good few said to me and my mate through the window they we were unlucky to fall short and wished us the best with the future. That put them up a lot in my estimations.

Aye, let's judge him on that bad selection whilst conveniently overlooking a 2nd division championship and a run to the SC semi final.

Let's also forget about him making us a credible force again playing in the 1st division where we belong and judge him solely on a team selection that was honestly made but didn't quite work.

Anyone who expected anything more than a struggle this season is seriously deluded.

I don't see many people complaining about us struggling, it's the manner of the struggle.

It is soul destroying watching a team who seldom even look like creating a chance never mind scoring a goal, where is the excitement in that? At least if we were missing chances we could take some consolation from the fact we had been creating them but we're not even doing that. It's just hellish to watch, and it's no wonder fans are starting to stay away.

the first two games after we signed the three Hearts players we won 3-2 then lost 4-2. Ok we lost a few goals but we scored some as welll and at least there was a bit of value for money in those games. Since then McGlynn seems to have choked the life out of the Hearts kids so that they no longer want to beat a man anymore. The result - back to the usual 1-0 home defeat.

Like most Rovers fans I'm no stranger to relegation battles but I'm sick fed up of watching this side.

Don't ever suggest that Dundee Utd didn't deserve that final. Other than the first fifteen minutes they dominated that game, and it wasn't through our own fault either. They had a good team, with a good spirit. They had one of the best supports I've ever encountered in person too, driving away from the stadium a good few said to me and my mate through the window they we were unlucky to fall short and wished us the best with the future. That put them up a lot in my estimations.

never once suggested that they didn’t deserved to win the game and a would agree with everything you said just merely think Mcglynn made a mistake with his team selection and we could of put up a better fight wasn't even that much of a criticism of Mcglynn

Not a cliche but cold harsh reality. In your world the club might be able to run on fresh air and empty seats but unfortunately that's not the case.

Money in football talks. Rangers and Celtic have much more of it that's why only they can winthe league. There was a reason a pisspot team like Gretna skooshed up the divisions and it wasn't great management. It was cold hard cash. There is a reason Clyde have dropped like a stone to the third division - because they only pay wages they can afford.

If you don't accept that the cuts to our playing budget have impacted on us this season then there is little point having a discussion. It reminds me of when we lost to Ayr in the second division title race. Some fans were out in force on the forums saying McGlynn had fucked it for us and lost us the league with his tactics. What happened? We went on to win it.

Yes the season so far has been pish. Yes its going to be a long hard slog. But it's only the 6th January. We're far from relegated. It's a bit early to be wetting knickers. Or to be condemning a manager as shit who just 8 months ago had us playing well above ourselves and seriously challenging for promotion to the SPL.

never once suggested that they didn't deserved to win the game and a would agree with everything you said just merely think Mcglynn made a mistake with his team selection and we could of put up a better fight wasn't even that much of a criticism of Mcglynn

Fair enough, but I don't think that we'd have won that even had we put out another team. Sorry for being a bit of a cock to you on your first post by the way! :lol: Welcome to the forum!

the first two games after we signed the three Hearts players we won 3-2 then lost 4-2. Ok we lost a few goals but we scored some as welll and at least there was a bit of value for money in those games. Since then McGlynn seems to have choked the life out of the Hearts kids so that they no longer want to beat a man anymore. The result - back to the usual 1-0 home defeat.

You conveniently ignore the gritty 1-0 win at Firhill where the club showed a lot of spirit and the 1-1 draw at Somerset where we played some good football especially in the first half.

Glass half empty reasoning?

Fair enough, but I don't think that we'd have won that even had we put out another team. Sorry for being a bit of a cock to you on your first post by the way! :lol: Welcome to the forum!

Maybe not cause they where a good side that year but hey. no worrys lol. cheers

Edited by spam12

It is difficult to disagree with many posters' opinions here as the stats and results do tend to speak for themselves.

I will say this however, like so many other posters here and elsewhere, I have supported Raith for so many years now I almost expect seasons like this to happen from time to time - its just the reality of the club we are. That's not to say I enjoy it - far from it, but it simply isn't a reason, as far as I'm concerned, to stay away, thus denying my club much needed funds in the process. Yes the 'goods' being supplied for the money aren't what I'd prefer but that, my good friends, is the way it is - sometimes.

Being a football club supporter is a lot like a marriage - there are great times and shite times, but you persevere because, if you truly believe in it, it is good for BOTH of you in the end.

So folks, it's put up or shut up time..... I'm not advocating unmitigated compliance with all things Raith and or McGlynn. What I'm saying is save your criticisms for when you are AT THE MATCH and where you can direct it at those responsible on the day. You will have paid the money to the club and in doing so have earned the right to say your piece.

If you feel you can't pay to watch any more, I fully respect your decision and will miss your presence at matches..... BUT..... once you make that decision and are therefore no longer contributing to the clubs finances - precarious as they are - (season ticket holders aside) then sniping from the sidelines is just that.

Mon ye Raith !! - see you at the game cool.gif

I think our recent successes have Been built on hardwork determination and fitness as opposed to silky football and it did work to an extent. Now the hard work and determination have vanished there is no plan b and the current situation has really brought to the fore mcglynns short comings as a man manager and a coach. I believe in a league this tight we do have the personnel to finish fifth or sixth.

Edited by pub car king

Sorry for being a bit of a cock to you on your first post by the way! :lol: Welcome to the forum!

He better get used to it if he's gonna post on here!

(and I don't mean from you personally rw89) ;)

Welcome aboard spam12

FWIW I'm still behind McGlynn

I'm not one for criticising players/management at the drop of a hat, and tend to give players more of a chance than some others I could mention, but I can see where folk are coming from, certain players we know can play a bit have been piss poor week in week out, but we have to keep playing them as our squad is thin, a new manager would have the same squad to work with as there is no cash to bring in new faces. We are struggling just now, and it shows, players look scared of the ball at times, hence we have no movement off the ball, we are not getting the "rub of the green" on the pitch with every 50:50 or loose ball going against us, when did we last get a penalty? We have picked up injuries to players (which is something we avoided last term) & generally the standard of football has been crap, you can see the confidence drain from the players & the shoulders drop when we lose a goal, but anybody who was at Firhill on Boxing day could see what it meant to the players at the end to get the win, I do believe this shitey run of bad luck and poor displays will turn itself around and we will be mid-table come the seasons end!

Last year McGlynn was the best manager in the country,

half way through this season we are talking about sacking him...............

RRFC, a rollercoaster ride since 1883!

I'm told that there might be good news later today.

Didn't say if it's to do with the team or not but I thought I'd share it with my fellow Rovers to hopefully raise a wee bit of morale!

Probably be a new bloody lawnmower now but I'll keep my fingers crossed that Messi and Iniesta have been reading about our plight and have quit Barca to come and help us out.

I don't see many people complaining about us struggling, it's the manner of the struggle.

Thats it in a nutshell. Last year we got to the top of the league and the Cup semi despite there being no football in us, due to organisation and hard work. Now the organisation and hard work has been replaced with disorganisation and going thru the motions.

It is soul destroying watching a team who seldom even look like creating a chance never mind scoring a goal, where is the excitement in that? At least if we were missing chances we could take some consolation from the fact we had been creating them but we're not even doing that. It's just hellish to watch, and it's no wonder fans are starting to stay away.

Like most Rovers fans I'm no stranger to relegation battles but I'm sick fed up of watching this side.

I could not agree with this more. The last few pages seem to have been "well what did you expect?". We all knew we were going to struggle - look back on this thread, the majority myself included recognised it. We hoped for a dull mid-table finish but we were aware it maybe wouldn't work out that way. The only home game we can take any positives at all from since August is the Hamilton game, where four loanees and McGurn did the business for us. We then reigned in that young, fearless play and went back to the tried and tested Problem being this season it's a tried and tested recipe for defeat. So what do we do next time out? Exactly the same. It has to be seen to be believed. The majority of our home games this season have been absolutely dreadful. There are no excuses for failing to create a chance in a home game at this level, let alone doing it time and time again. We'll be lucky to scrape 1000 in the home end on Saturday: in all honesty the players don't deserve even that to show up to watch them.

So folks, it's put up or shut up time..... I'm not advocating unmitigated compliance with all things Raith and or McGlynn. What I'm saying is save your criticisms for when you are AT THE MATCH and where you can direct it at those responsible on the day. You will have paid the money to the club and in doing so have earned the right to say your piece.

Personally I prefer the likes of here for venting frustrations. I'm not a fan of screaming abuse at our own players, it's counter-productive and won't help. And I would feel utterly dreadful shouting any kind of stick at McGlynn after all he's done for us. I couldn't do it, in fact. I wouldn't mind sitting in a quiet room and asking him how on earth he thinks our performances have been acceptable, right enough. :D

there is no cash to bring in new faces.

McGlynn has brought in five new faces, six if you unfairly include Ludo Roy, since the season began. An untrue cliche, as well as "he's not got the players to change it" - we've used 23 players this season. Probably more than most I'd guess.

I'm told that there might be good news later today.

Didn't say if it's to do with the team or not but I thought I'd share it with my fellow Rovers to hopefully raise a wee bit of morale!

Probably be a new bloody lawnmower now but I'll keep my fingers crossed that Messi and Iniesta have been reading about our plight and have quit Barca to come and help us out.

Damian Casalinuovo

We did have a 5 year plan right enough but for the life of me cant remember what it was.This poor run of form,results. performances has been for longer than one half season.

McGlynn,the team,the BoD having been given the plaudits when merited in the past and its to be expected and accepted they get the criticism when merited.

was it not to establish us as a fist division team? which he has done.

Damian Casalinuovo

i could live with that if true!

it took Mcglyn 3 seasons to get us promoted from the second division as he had to build a team capable of doing so. he basically had to take the key players out of that team (i.e Campbell, simmons)at the end of last season and start afresh with a lower budget so of course we were always going to struggle this season as it takes time to rebuild a team. im not defending his tactics os selections at times, and we all know it isnt pretty but thats what this season is for us its a rebuild and consolidate season and as long as he does that by the end of the season then ill be happy enough with that.