The New Raith Rovers Thread

I've just posted a big rant on fantalk, and Williamson was one of the points I spoke about.

Pretty much said this: ...Especially when you look at people like Ian Williamson. He's had a brilliant season so far on the wing, has worked all summer long to improve himself as a football, as soon as he makes a mistake all you hear through the south stand is howls of derision against it. What is that going to do for his confidence? Imagine you put in 3 months work into something all summer long, you think things are going well and then you have your boss or employer yell at you for one blemishing mistake?

He's been good this season. Vast improvement from last year. He's very good at dropping his shoulder and trying to look for a pass. Where before he'd give the ball away, he now looks like a different player.

I was there yesterday for the first time in a good few weeks, and it was as bipolar a display as I've seen in a many a season. I rejoiced when I saw the teamsheet implying 4-3-3 and rejoiced once more when we actually played that way, and looked pretty decent too. Ah the memories of Weir, Wales and Smith...... Imagine then my surprise to see us revert to 4-4-2 upon Casa's departure and how quickly we reverted to heidless chickens in fear of the inevitable. We sat further and further back, our passing went to shit, we had no-one to hold onto the ball even if they HAD received it forward of the half way line, and we could still have been playing and never scored; Baird's unlucky rebound aside. Walker was poor, and out of order. Don't get dragged in. To those on his back - you have short memories. To go from hero to zero in a few months, there must be something amiss - confidence, self belief, or faith in the manager. Hamill was EXCRUCIATING. He is nothing but USELESS. Williamson, to my complete horror, was pretty decent, and should have stayed on, allowing Hamill instead to get the chips on in the dressing room. Ellis was poor too. I could go on. The one brighter light in the enveloping gloom was Casa. Once fit, he will make a difference. Particularly if we stick to 4-3-3, drop Hamill (permanently) and find a better midfield blend. Oh and back 4 has to be Donaldson, Murray, Ellis and Dyer. If we don't, he might not make much difference. So there.

By the way, this is a new account because I screwed up my original. This isn't my first post, and I'm old enough to have seen Murray McDermott replacing Bobby Reid, so you whippersnappers, away with your pish.

Pretty much said this: ...Especially when you look at people like Ian Williamson. He's had a brilliant season so far on the wing, has worked all summer long to improve himself as a football, as soon as he makes a mistake all you hear through the south stand is howls of derision against it. What is that going to do for his confidence? Imagine you put in 3 months work into something all summer long, you think things are going well and then you have your boss or employer yell at you for one blemishing mistake?

I think saying he's had a brilliant season is being a bit OTT. He's improved on last season certainly, but we still need to see more of him. If my memory serves me correctly, he's only scored once and provided one assist this season.

Walker has went somehwhat in the opposite direction, sadly. I have no idea what's wrong with him, but he's having a terrible season. As for Hamill...my prediction that he would replace Simmons as the boo boy have materialised. He had a positive start (a few goals and a few assists) but has since became invisible.

So, yeah, our midfield is rotten. 4-3-3 and bypass it is the way forward.

Oh, and one more thing before I shuffle off for my cocoa and blanket bath. Yesterday I saw some of our supporters having stand up arguments with each other, during the game. One chap sitting about halfway up, slightly left of goal, and another about 5 rows behind, standing, shouting, pointing, and pretty wound up. Wtf is going on? We're all in this together and none of us are enjoying it at the moment. And now the players want to fight us too! Good job Alex Brash isn't here any more. Or Bobby Glennie. Or Ian Gibson. Then you'd know about it.

I think saying he's had a brilliant season is being a bit OTT. He's improved on last season certainly, but we still need to see more of him. If my memory serves me correctly, he's only scored once and provided one assist this season.

Walker has went somehwhat in the opposite direction, sadly. I have no idea what's wrong with him, but he's having a terrible season. As for Hamill...my prediction that he would replace Simmons as the boo boy have materialised. He had a positive start (a few goals and a few assists) but has since became invisible.

So, yeah, our midfield is rotten. 4-3-3 and bypass it is the way forward.

Aye, you're right, but he has made dramatic improvements. It is just frustrating to hear people have a go at someone who has worked so hard to improve.

Got to agree on Hammill. I thought he'd be an excellent signing, and has had a few decent games, but overall he's been underwhelming.

Oh, and one more thing before I shuffle off for my cocoa and blanket bath. Yesterday I saw some of our supporters having stand up arguments with each other, during the game. One chap sitting about halfway up, slightly left of goal, and another about 5 rows behind, standing, shouting, pointing, and pretty wound up. Wtf is going on? We're all in this together and none of us are enjoying it at the moment. And now the players want to fight us too! Good job Alex Brash isn't here any more. Or Bobby Glennie. Or Ian Gibson. Then you'd know about it.

You are shitting me right ? Williamson had a really good game on Saturday worked hard and he doesn't get the credit he's due. He's just back from injury so getting the fitness levels back up - he worked hard in that midfield 3.

thought alot of the good movement was broke down by him and baird had quite a few good moans at him in the 1st half. I do agree he has got better since last season and at the start of the season i thought he was excellent and one of our best players as he actully went forward just did not think he was as good as i have seen him as of late and i go to every game home and away.

I wouldn't take Baird having a moan at someone as being evidence of anything.

On the Allan Walker thing, my sympathies are mostly with the player, some of the abuse has been well out of order.

When was the last time the Rovers were drawn against the Old Firm in a cup game? Particularly the Scottish Cup.

Also, when was the last time the Rovers played live on TV?

There can't be too many teams in the SFL who haven't played Celtic or Rangers since we last did!

The money from being on the telly is astronomical. I'm sure I read that The Rovers are forecasting an £80,000 loss this year, and both Dunfermline and Caley Thistle are picking up more than that just from their Scottish Cup replay.

I'm not suggesting there's any kind of conspiracy, by the way, just bemoaning bad luck.

I was well in earshot of the Walker 'detractors' (or fuds, as I like to call them) and you will hear far far worse at other grounds, every damn week. Allan Walker is meant to be a PROFESSIONAL footballer and he knows fine well that his posturing at the end of the match was juvenile in the extreme and, frankly, embarrassing to him and him alone.

I don't care a toss what people shout at players providing we aren't talking death threats or other such stupidity. There's no such thing as a Professional fan and you don't need a license to open your gob and cast up your opinion, however inaccurate it may or may not be. You need to be man enough to ignore the garbage being shouted - not ignore your fellow players and opposition and go up to a bunch of fannies and "invite them ootside"

He would have said more to them if he had just raised his hands and clapped them as he walked off.

But......... he WAS PISH - no doubt there...

Motivation and a good morale are key factors to success. Although I agree that Walker has been very poor of lately and the way he reacted was totally out of order, some of the moronic clowns that go to the games and make these ridiculous shouts need a real shake to hopefully knock some sense into them.

We're struggling yes, stretched with limited numbers (particularly in defence) due to injuries etc so guys like Walker have to play ! Yes he has been poor but don't you think we should be trying to encourage the guy instead of jumping on his back making his confidence hit rock bottom? You can only piss with the cock you've got I'm afraid, and we all know what Walker is capable of on his day. As touched upon he had a really good game up at Dingwall against County.

So these idiots who are hitting up fantalk with the "I'll no be there next game because we're pish" caper are simply no good to us, the same with the boys who make the shouts for McGlynn to "Change it" then as soon as the sub is on the park they are right on the guys back after one misplaced pass or so.

Although I may not agree with McGlynn's tactical philosophy or his decisions, i'll still back my team and encourage them to perform, it's going to be difficult but that's what us fans do - we stick together through the thick and thin. The football on show may not be great but at the end of the day it's the club we choose to support and moaning and mindless idiots aren't going to help us in any way at all.

Motivation and a good morale are key factors to success. Although I agree that Walker has been very poor of lately and the way he reacted was totally out of order, some of the moronic clowns that go to the games and make these ridiculous shouts need a real shake to hopefully knock some sense into them.

We're struggling yes, stretched with limited numbers (particularly in defence) due to injuries etc so guys like Walker have to play ! Yes he has been poor but don't you think we should be trying to encourage the guy instead of jumping on his back making his confidence hit rock bottom? You can only piss with the cock you've got I'm afraid, and we all know what Walker is capable of on his day. As touched upon he had a really good game up at Dingwall against County.

So these idiots who are hitting up fantalk with the "I'll no be there next game because we're pish" caper are simply no good to us, the same with the boys who make the shouts for McGlynn to "Change it" then as soon as the sub is on the park they are right on the guys back after one misplaced pass or so.

Although I may not agree with McGlynn's tactical philosophy or his decisions, i'll still back my team and encourage them to perform, it's going to be difficult but that's what us fans do - we stick together through the thick and thin. The football on show may not be great but at the end of the day it's the club we choose to support and moaning and mindless idiots aren't going to help us in any way at all.

100% agree great post

When was the last time the Rovers were drawn against the Old Firm in a cup game? Particularly the Scottish Cup.

Also, when was the last time the Rovers played live on TV?

There can't be too many teams in the SFL who haven't played Celtic or Rangers since we last did!

The money from being on the telly is astronomical. I'm sure I read that The Rovers are forecasting an £80,000 loss this year, and both Dunfermline and Caley Thistle are picking up more than that just from their Scottish Cup replay.

I'm not suggesting there's any kind of conspiracy, by the way, just bemoaning bad luck.

I remember we played Celtic in the early 2000s when they had Sutton and the like. Can't remember the year but I wasn't at the game, though my friend fondly tells me we did hit the bar or post, or went very close to going 1-0 up.Can't remember the last game we played on the television. We've certainly not had a game on television since I bought my first season ticket in 05.

Edited by rw89

I remember we played Celtic in the early 2000s when they had Sutton and the like. Can't remember the year but I wasn't at the game, though my friend fondly tells me we did hit the bar or post, or went very close to going 1-0 up.Can't remember the last game we played on the television. We've certainly not had a game on television since I bought my first season ticket in 05.

We did play them away in a midweek league cup game around that time. We got hammered 4-0 and I can't remember much about it other than relentless booing of Jackie McNamara during the game.

We played them 2 or 3 years before that at Parkhead in a Scottish Cup game as well. The new stands were still being built so there was a reduced capacity. We were up in some far flung corner of one of the new stands. We did give them a half decent game from what I remember but lost 1 or 2 nil I think.

The main reason we never get the old firm is that we rarely make it into the main draw in most cups <_<

Edited by Martin Nelson

In my memory aside from the semi final a couple of years ago where to be fair we never played anyone decent it was a pish Aberdeen team. We have never done well in the Scottish cup and are regularly knocked by January it just.isn't our competition which makes the.way the lsaague.cup has been devalued all the more depressing

Indeed.

I think if we'd been unsuccessful in our bid to keep Walker and Smith from Hearts, 4-3-3 would be a serious option. As it is, I expect those two playing wide and our usual brand of two deeply sat CMs in Walker and Hamill.

Imagine... not one, but TWO players who we can lump the ball at with a decent chance of one of them actually holding it and doing something.

Lumping the ball at Pat Clarke? :huh:

Alan Walker was out of order today and should be finned and dropped after his behvour during and after the match, arguing with a fan at a corner then at the full time whistle walking the lenth of the park to find the same fan who had left by then so shout abuse at the crowed offering them a square go out side the stadium. to then get booed by the fans still there to see it. I have now lost all respect for that player.

apart from that good first half today unlcuky not to be more than 1 up at half time, sat to far back in 2nd half and unlucy at the end not to get the draw with baird hitting the post then rebound was offside again for the 3rd time in match.

if we keep 433 we should move up the table as long as casa is fit and baird is playing behind casa and clark. drop walker for his unprofestional behaviour and replace with davo.

In fairness Pars fans told Raith last year that Walker is a nob :P

I see the fucking arsehole brigade is at it on FanTalk again. "Mcglynn MUST go" being the main theme I'm going at, rather than just in general. It really, really pisses me off that someone who has done so much for our club could potentially be hounded out by this lot.

Completely ridiculous. One of the potential replacements being touted was Jimmy fucking Calderwood.

I know, imagine appointing a manager who has been a success everywhere he has been, the horror.