The New Raith Rovers Thread

Horrendous 'banter' IMO.

The sad fact is that our season is over already. We're not shit enough to finish below all of Cowdenbeath, Airdrie, Dumbarton and Hamilton, or are we good enough to challenge Partick or the Pars. Ourselves, Falkirk, Morton and Livingston are in for a long, boring season. The first division is absolute horse shit, and I'll be fucked if I'm paying £13 to go and watch nothing games for the rest of the season.

The annoying thing for me is that if you look at the last 3 league games, we really could (and arguably should) have had 4/5 more points.

Vs Morton there was fack all between the side, settled by a belter of a strike.

Vs Partick whilst they deserved a point, we lost a goal with pretty much the last kick of the game

Vs Dumbarton as above, plus missing a last minute sitter.

Thats what separates mid table meh from the top I guess. Frustrating though that an ability to see out games would see us close to the top, and would have potentially set up a belter of a derby in November.

Still, I would much rather be mid table than near any of that shit at the bottom. Been there, done that, dont like it thanks very much.

Conversely there's games we've won which we might not have done. That's football innit, but the tendency is always to count the missed chances and to forget the bits of good luck that balance it out.

Its strange, as i said in the crystal ball thread,

We will not go up

We will not go down

We look for a pay day in the cup (Celtic ? )

We look for a scottish cup run

I know that Rovers being Rovers we will probably get dragged into something good or bad, but it looks like the season has panned itself out already with the Scottish Cup the only target left thus the apathy of the fans. (And pumping the pars off course)

Replying here because this is the "source" of some of the more infantile posts that followed...

If I can drag all the moaning minnies back to the close season (Pre ServCo comedy) when there was doubt (considerable and justified) that we may well have ended up as the Divisions cannon fodder due to our incredibly limited finances, there wasn't a poster on here that wouldn't have bitten your arm off for a mid-table finish and respite from the will we / won't we go down angst fest of last season.

Nothing has changed on that positional aspiration gents. What changed was the management structure. It could easily have gone pear shaped and we'd be scrambling for points against everyone. It hasn't and the transition from manager to manager has been ok given that it's his FIRST POST.

If mid-table survival is not exciting enough for some of you then perhaps Saturday shopping or decorating is your thing.

For me - and many other Rovers fans - watching the side play, and hopefully develop and improve, is why I go to matches. Sometimes it's frustrating, sometimes it's exciting....... that's football and NO SIDE has any divine right to beat any other - end of.

So - if your that pissed off to see us safe in the mid-table zone for the rest of the season - well, that is your prerogative and I hope you find something to fill that Saturday afternoon void.

Me ? I'll continue to travel to see the team, SUPPORT the club and shout myself hoarse........paying whatever it takes to help keep the club alive.

'Mon you Raith !

So - if your that pissed off to see us safe in the mid-table zone for the rest of the season - well, that is your prerogative and I hope you find something to fill that Saturday afternoon void.

Our attendances would suggest people are doing just that...

I agree with you on the whole, but I take issued with your lambasting of the fans. Interesting that you're stating that you're happy paying what it takes to keep the club alive, yet are also in the same post telling people to find something else to do on a Saturday. That is just one massive contradiction, unless you're absolutely fucking minted and are prepared to shell out five-figure sums.

Last week's result has rightly pissed people off. We are struggling for crowds and maybe not conceding two last minute equalisers in a row would have added a couple of hundred onto our next home gate? As you rightly say, our financial situation is far from ideal.

Personally, I think we'll finish between fourth and seventh.

1350065418[/url]' post='6707863']

Its strange, as i said in the crystal ball thread,

We will not go up

We will not go down

We look for a pay day in the cup (Celtic ? )

We look for a scottish cup run

I know that Rovers being Rovers we will probably get dragged into something good or bad, but it looks like the season has panned itself out already with the Scottish Cup the only target left thus the apathy of the fans. (And pumping the pars off course)

Hey hope I'm not being misunderstood here, I have followed through thick and thin for many years and do not intend to change my habits, this was a reply to the general apathy shown just now, we attract more punters when we have something to play for. It's just the way it's always been. We now appear to be an established 1st division side, which arguably is our true position in the grand scheme of things.

Our attendances would suggest people are doing just that...

I agree with you on the whole, but I take issued with your lambasting of the fans. Interesting that you're stating that you're happy paying what it takes to keep the club alive, yet are also in the same post telling people to find something else to do on a Saturday. That is just one massive contradiction, unless you're absolutely fucking minted and are prepared to shell out five-figure sums.

Last week's result has rightly pissed people off. We are struggling for crowds and maybe not conceding two last minute equalisers in a row would have added a couple of hundred onto our next home gate? As you rightly say, our financial situation is far from ideal.

Personally, I think we'll finish between fourth and seventh.

I'm not really lambasting the fans MW. Nor am I ".... telling people to find something else to do on a Saturday."

I'm replying to someone who, for whatever reason, wants to tell us that..... "The first division is absolute horse shit, and I'll be fucked if I'm paying £13 to go and watch nothing games for the rest of the season."

Fair enough I say, your choice. But if your looking for agreement based on your 'argument' (given the circumstances I outlined) then you will be disappointed.

Certainly not minted Michael (lottery win pending of course tongue.gif) and, being on the wrong side of the country wink.gif, I spend plenty trying to maintain my support and, provided I can afford it, will continue to do so.

I don't criticise or praise fans for turning up or staying away, it's all about choices. I do, however, question the reasoning behind publicly proclaiming their non-attendance for the bizarre reason listed above.

Sixth. wink.gif

I'm a student. Money is not in abundance. I don't find Rovers particular value for money, particularly when travelling from Edinburgh, as I will be in a few weeks time. I'd LOVE to go every week, but I can't manage, such is life. Hopefully in a few years time when I'm making good cash, I'll be able.

However, don't let that get in the way of an argument. I'm in what I would class as the "diehard" element of our support. I was in Wick at the start of the season for f**k sake. However, sometimes other things come first.

I'm a student. Money is not in abundance. I don't find Rovers particular value for money, particularly when travelling from Edinburgh, as I will be in a few weeks time. I'd LOVE to go every week, but I can't manage, such is life. Hopefully in a few years time when I'm

making good cash, I'll be able.

However, don't let that get in the way of an argument. I'm in what I would class as the

"diehard" element of our support. I was in Wick at the start of the season for f**k sake. However, sometimes other things come first.

Like Hank, money strictly limits my attendance at Starks. After donkeys years of going home and away I can't make many games these days, and I would also consider myself a diehard. I've got a Rovers crest on each shoulder and I love the club dearly, always have and always will. Missing games is fkin horrendous so I say to the guys who can afford to go, please keep turning up. Because there may be a time when you can't.

Like Hank, money strictly limits my attendance at Starks. After donkeys years of going home and away I can't make many games these days, and I would also consider myself a diehard. I've got a Rovers crest on each shoulder and I love the club dearly, always have and always will. Missing games is fkin horrendous so I say to the guys who can afford to go, please keep turning up. Because there may be a time when you can't.

My mate is of a similar case. He currently doesn't earn too much, he'll make as many games as possible, but his work limits it down. Was considering buying him a season ticket and getting the money back over a longer spell as often paying a chunk each month takes quite a lot away, especially with him staying in Edinburgh. Ultimately, I can see why some people limit their games. People like Hank Scorpio, who I've met at the games before on numerous occasions, are just in the unfortunate situation where they have to prioritise. Their loyalty shouldn't be called into question. Its the people who turn up for the Pars games but then go away and then disappear off for a few months who truly annoy me.

I'm a student. Money is not in abundance. I don't find Rovers particular value for money, particularly when travelling from Edinburgh, as I will be in a few weeks time.

Out of interest what is your situation at the moment? Still to get a flat sorted etc?

I'm not really lambasting the fans MW. Nor am I ".... telling people to find something else to do on a Saturday."

I'm replying to someone who, for whatever reason, wants to tell us that..... "The first division is absolute horse shit, and I'll be fucked if I'm paying £13 to go and watch nothing games for the rest of the season."

Fair enough I say, your choice. But if your looking for agreement based on your 'argument' (given the circumstances I outlined) then you will be disappointed.

Certainly not minted Michael (lottery win pending of course tongue.gif) and, being on the wrong side of the country wink.gif, I spend plenty trying to maintain my support and, provided I can afford it, will continue to do so.

I don't criticise or praise fans for turning up or staying away, it's all about choices. I do, however, question the reasoning behind publicly proclaiming their non-attendance for the bizarre reason listed above.

Sixth. wink.gif

I was wrong to say you lambasted them, having read that all again. I do tend to get a little arsey when I think people are having a go at the fans, though. My apologies.

As for my own circumstances, I have thus far attended all the home games except Montrose in the cup as I was working. As far as away games go, I'm afraid the 'poor value for money' line is what I currently adhere to. £16 and whatever the cost in petrol is is unacceptable and I'm just not prepared to pay that every week. I've been to Dunfermline and Celtic away, and I anticipate I'll be at Dumbarton, Dunfermline (again), Livingston and Hamilton this season. Other than a cup draw to a ground I've never visited before, that'll probably be my lot.

I'm afraid the fact of the matter (for me) is that the value for money is very poor, even at home games where my travel costs are, at most, £1.60.

As for non-attendance at home games - good results and, dare I say it, good football are the only things that will coax the fans back. Lowering the prices could help too, but we would bankrupt ourselves within a couple of months if we did that.

To be honest, I myself am in the fortunate position of being able to share lifts with my Dad down to games on a Saturday. If I was just going myself, its very doubtful I'd be able to afford to go every week due to the extreme price of Diesel, getting a flat earlier this year etc etc. Train is sometimes reasonably price, but usually only if you book months in advance or you take daft times (got a 7.30 train home the other week from Kdy as it was a tenner :ph34r: )

Its expensive stuff. (Not the clubs fault, just the way life is at the mo)

Good replies gents.

So - the revised (and more pertinent) argument is......... affordability. Absolutely agree with this. cool.gif

These are shockingly tough times I know and football is like any other business that needs to address cost/profit issues, very much in the same way you all are effectively addressing your own cost/value for money issues on a personel level. It's a real bummer gents and you have both my understanding and sympathy.

Keep the faith wink.gif

I daresay we've all had times in our football supporting lives when we've been more or less skint and it's affected our choice of games, and of course there isn't an issue with that. I think the initial confusion was caused by it being phrased as a reflection on the fare being offered up by the club rather than personal circumstance.

Anywa, I watched Glenrothes v Newtongrange Star on our blank weekend. Craig Winter was playing for Glenrothes, Keiron Renton and Joe Dunbar for Star. Dunbar looked lively while he was on the pitch, but was then booked twice for diving. Which I'm afraid made me laugh a bit even if I was far from sure about the decisions.

Still never really got to hear what went wrong for him at Raith.

I daresay we've all had times in our football supporting lives when we've been more or less skint and it's affected our choice of games, and of course there isn't an issue with that. I think the initial confusion was caused by it being phrased as a reflection on the fare being offered up by the club rather than personal circumstance.

Anywa, I watched Glenrothes v Newtongrange Star on our blank weekend. Craig Winter was playing for Glenrothes, Keiron Renton and Joe Dunbar for Star. Dunbar looked lively while he was on the pitch, but was then booked twice for diving. Which I'm afraid made me laugh a bit even if I was far from sure about the decisions.

Still never really got to hear what went wrong for him at Raith.

Did he not fall out with McGlynn for basically having a strop for not being in the first 11?? Clearly the right decision because he certainly hasn't moved onto Anything of the same level or even directly below out level! Try about 5 divisions below! And good riddance haha! Same for Renton. He was fucking garbage! :)

Did he not fall out with McGlynn for basically having a strop for not being in the first 11??

Well that was the rumour but the club were very quiet about it and I always presumed there was probably a bit more to it.

(I didn't think Renton was as bad as everyone else seemed to.)