The New Raith Rovers Thread

I can see where you're coming from but on balance I'd rather pocket their cash, taunt them for 90 minutes for having gone bust and even if we lost then its still just the Diddy cup. So we could point and laugh at them treating winning the Diddy Cup like it was the Champions League. Win win

Exactly. When Man City were in the third flight I remember being secretly relieved when we got knocked out of the lower league cup in the first round. Sure, being beaten at home by Mansfield, in the same midweek that United were playing Bayern Munich, was a bit embarrassing, but I reckoned the greater indignity would have been to have gone on to win the trophy and to have to watch the players parading the Auto Windscreens Shield around Wembley as if winning it represented some kind of fucking achievement.

So, while I normally avoid games featuring either of the Old Firm these days, I'd almost be tempted by that one (*if it came to pass). Either we win, which would be nice, or failing that at least we get the consolation of knowing that footage of Rangers players cavorting around with the Ramsdens Challenge Cup will forevermore be available on youtube for the rest of the world to snigger at.

I wouldn't be too harsh on Starks Park and the atmosphere within it. I've been to a few grounds over the years that are similar & the atmosphere is comparable. Plus like someone posted earlier, you cannot put a price on a club with an identity within the community & a ground that is 10 minutes walk from the High Street & pubs etc.

Always enjoyed my trips to Starks. Hopefully not too long to wait til we meet again.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2013/sep/24/damian-mcbride-10-things-book-labour

5) Gordon Brown signed defender Marvin Andrews for Raith Rovers in a pub car park This is only implied, but it is implied strongly. Brown apparently had a habit of getting too involved with his local football club when he had spare time in Scotland. A journalist rang McBride saying that Brown had been seen discussing contract terms with Andrews in a Kirkcaldy pub car park in the middle of the night. Brown's reaction was: "Have they got photos?"

really? :lol:

Edited by renton

I thought the contract with the owner was a 10 year rolling contract. This would mean that if we were to make an offer or leave starks then it would cost us a fare bit of money

There was a secured loan from the Allied Irish bank, against Starks park.

That loan accrues interest of £4,000 per month, and the initial term was 10 years.

John sim is the guarantor of that loan, should he club default, the loan value ( what ever it was) is still there, and hopefully the low interest rates, might mean we actually start paying it off, or jus pay a lower rent.

Just a thought on the railway stand pie in the sky really. Could it be knocked down and turned into either executive boxes proper ones which most clubs have or meeting rooms conference facilities? At the very least it would yield a return so that the club could either make a bit of money out of the space long term or throw it into paying the mortgage.

There should be a FAQ's thread.

The Railway Stand is structurally sound and is not falling into disrepair.

Hosting hospitality has been investigated and priced, IIRC £140,00.00, this would involve installing portacabins and upgrading the toilet facilities.

There is no point installing seats in the stand if the South Stand is regularly half empty.

Source, Turnbull Hutton.

The board aren't stupid enough to spunk any income we may have on the Railway Stand because 100 supporters 'miss it'. Which is great news for us all, really.

We should've turned in a profit for the last financial year, and I expect us to do so again this time around. That money should be spent solely on getting rid of debt, helping with the stadium loan/upkeep of the stadium, and if there's some left over then the team on the park.

Rovers 4-2 victory over Alloa on Saturday added more fuel to growing talk of the club as a potential title contender.

Who the hell is wandering about talking aobut us being title contenders after six games? That's Foxbarton levels of crazy talk.

:lol: I remember that from our season when we finished second. Every Rovers fan on here was almost embarrased by how well we were doing. We started the season well, and then we went on to "We'll tail off by Christmas". When we cut the gap at New Year it was "We won't keep this up but it is welcome". By the time we got to the final ten games we were all sitting there saying "We don't know how we're here. We're enjoying it, but we shouldn't be here really".

You are of course completely correct. Any Rovers fan would happily take a top four place.

Who the hell is wandering about talking aobut us being title contenders after six games? That's Foxbarton levels of crazy talk.

'Believe!' Remember that one. It worked.

This is quite a weak league this year. If it wasn't for the fact it's early doors and we have a tiny squad, I'd be getting excited. I promise not to start a Great Feeling at Stark's Park thread though. At least not until Xmas.

• 2 weeks later...

With us not having a league game next week due to our cup exploits that's the first round of games effectively completed. I think we've been unconvincing at times but in such a tight league to be sitting with 15 points after 8 games is excellent.

Interesting that the 5 games against the full time sides have been tight, low scoring affairs while the 3 games against the part time sides have seen 19 goals!

Was talking to Ian Davidsons dad on Sat night and he said that his son would never sign for the Rovers again as they had no ambition and were going nowhere. That's the reason he left and had nothing to do with money. He also said that his son was to good for us, nearly pished myself at that one. Found it really hard to bite my lip but managed, just.

This is the first season Hill has had where he's been very much the senior centre-back, and I was hoping he'd respond well to that. Early signs are that he is doing. He always had all the attributes of a very good defender, just his decision-making seemed a bit suspect sometimes - and that's something that can be learned. Perfectly possible he might blossom into a cracking player, at this level at least, in his late 20s / early 30s.