The New Raith Rovers Thread

Honestly enjoy reading this thread no matter how well Rovers are doing. Good to see so many people care so much about their team. Don't despair guys, it's just a rough patch, no way you're finishing below Cowden, although it's going to be a hell of a lot tighter than it has any right to be.

Grovelling b*****d.

Bailie In Leeds is surely just writing mad pish for a reaction.

He's quite good to be fair.

Exactamundo, look half the pish I write is shite anyway. I'm not trying to troll any of you. Just think some of you guys are too forgiving of the team and players. We have been monumentally rank rotten, but one or two guys get injured and we're all at sea. Our manager is a defender, he should be getting his knowledge imprinted into their memory banks, I know it's chopped and changed for a while. But someone needs to take command. That's it in a nutshell, I'm not nuts either, it's only because I think we are on paper a really good team, it's just unfortunate that we don't have enough leaders on the park. Step up Dougie Hill.

Exactamundo, look half the pish I write is shite anyway. I'm not trying to troll any of you. Just think some of you guys are too forgiving of the team and players. We have been monumentally rank rotten, but one or two guys get injured and we're all at sea. Our manager is a defender, he should be getting his knowledge imprinted into their memory banks, I know it's chopped and changed for a while. But someone needs to take command. That's it in a nutshell, I'm not nuts either, it's only because I think we are on paper a really good team, it's just unfortunate that we don't have enough leaders on the park. Step up Dougie Hill.

Many games you been to this season? Unless you can say that you have been to at least 15 league games, then your opinion is invalid.

Remember you can't be a fan unless you go to every single game regardless of circumstance

I never said that though? But you can't really have an opinion as strong as his from watching a handful of games..? We're not televised...so he must be basing his opinion on the results alone..and a couple of minutes of highlights a week..? Edited by Rovers1992/1993

Many games you been to this season? Unless you can say that you have been to at least 15 league games, then your opinion is invalid.

Riiiiiiight, I've been to 9 this season, which isn't too shabby as I work most weekends, but don't let that get in the way of your agenda.

But lets all attack me, just because I'm a little more extreme than others.

Edited by baillieinleeds

I think one of the problems we have is that Dougie Hill isn't a leader, and that's no criticism of him. I just feel that he has to be 100% focussed on his own game to be the excellent defender that he normally is. With Paul Watson along side him, he knows he can do that. To an extent he can with Ellis as well, but everyone is very much aware that we're exposed to pace in that situation.

It goes back to that Fife derby we lost at East End, for me, when Colin Wilson started and was at fault for the two goals that left us 2-0 down at half time, when he was substituted. Yes, he made the errors that led to the goals, but the defence itself was a nightmare for those 45 minutes, with a much bigger impact than you'd expect with there just being one young defender slotted into the team.

Watson and Hill have formed an understanding, rather than a proper partnership. They know their own jobs inside out, and have the confidence that each other will be doing what they have to.

I'm not sure if he's trying to compensate with Donaldson, if he's trying to do more than he should, or if Hill is looking after his own area and when Donaldson does that too, it leaves us open to gaps (which is understandable, given that Donaldson has only played a handful of senior games at centre half) but it's an issue that hopefully solves itself with the prolonged return of Watson. If, for whatever reason, Watson isn't available for a run of games before the end of the season, then we need to either find a simpler way of setting up for set pieces, or a clearer and cleverer way of dealing out the defensive responsibilities.

Certainly for next season I'm sure there'll be a more solid defensive Plan B in place. This season's back up, Laurie Ellis, has been sadly (and I mean that, it saddens me) performing at nowhere near the required level.

I think one of the problems we have is that Dougie Hill isn't a leader, and that's no criticism of him. I just feel that he has to be 100% focussed on his own game to be the excellent defender that he normally is. With Paul Watson along side him, he knows he can do that. To an extent he can with Ellis as well, but everyone is very much aware that we're exposed to pace in that situation.

It goes back to that Fife derby we lost at East End, for me, when Colin Wilson started and was at fault for the two goals that left us 2-0 down at half time, when he was substituted. Yes, he made the errors that led to the goals, but the defence itself was a nightmare for those 45 minutes, with a much bigger impact than you'd expect with there just being one young defender slotted into the team.

Watson and Hill have formed an understanding, rather than a proper partnership. They know their own jobs inside out, and have the confidence that each other will be doing what they have to.

I'm not sure if he's trying to compensate with Donaldson, if he's trying to do more than he should, or if Hill is looking after his own area and when Donaldson does that too, it leaves us open to gaps (which is understandable, given that Donaldson has only played a handful of senior games at centre half) but it's an issue that hopefully solves itself with the prolonged return of Watson. If, for whatever reason, Watson isn't available for a run of games before the end of the season, then we need to either find a simpler way of setting up for set pieces, or a clearer and cleverer way of dealing out the defensive responsibilities.

Certainly for next season I'm sure there'll be a more solid defensive Plan B in place. This season's back up, Laurie Ellis, has been sadly (and I mean that, it saddens me) performing at nowhere near the required level.

We don't tend to agree with you very much, but you are 100% correct. Hill does try to do more than he should, which leads to mistakes. Hill and Watson are a good partnership, and once they get into a groove they'll be literally unbreachable next season.

Good points in this,however, we need to get this particular comment into perspective.

Despite having a broken hand Colin Wilson was told to remove the cast and play that day....("not a lot a people know that!!")

Play in a local derby against DAFC with a broken hand.......CRAZY!!

Granted he may have been at fault in part for the goals, however, I doubt many would have been fully concentrated on their game carrying that sort of injury.

The youngster got the pelters that day and eventually the boot, but...the Manager/Coaching staff were as much, if not more, at fault as Wilson!!

Edited by Wee Sandy

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Colin Wilson, and I'm fully aware that he was carrying the injury. I meant that in purely technical terms, he made the mistakes for the goals, but my larger point was that we lost that game not because Colin Wilson was (or is) a bad defender but because our defence, and in particular Dougie Hill (who I am a massive fan of, I'd hate for this to come across as Dougie-bashing) is not suited to incorporating a "green" defender, who might need guidance throughout a game.

I used that game as an example purely because it illustrates that the problems aren't just with Reece Donaldson, who has been largely involved in the most recent evidence of our ropey defending

I've always felt that there must've been more to the Colin Wilson situation than met the eye. He certainly wasn't released on the basis of one 45 minute performance. I think it probably became quite apparent that he wasn't going to be integrated into the first team, and he was offered the chance to leave and find a club in the middle of the season, rather than waiting until pre-season when the competition is a little more fierce. He's started twelve games for Montrose this season, which probably vindicates both sides. He's obviously not setting the heather alight in the Third Division so he's unlikely to have found success to tiers higher, but he is at least playing professional football and he's still young enough to go on and make a decent career for himself.

Paul Watson is 23. Dougie Hill is 29. If Hill is relying on someone like Watson to get him through a game (and for what it's worth I agree fully with your points) then the problem is with him, nobody else.

For what it's worth I'm not sure I'd keep Hill. I'm aware the majority would but he's 29 years old, played for us for five years, been the only centre back who's played all season, he should have his stamp all over the team. He should be barking orders, leading by example. But he isn't. He's far from the only one, obviously, but I think he's been poor over the last few months - not making individual clangers that catch the eye, just continually caught under the ball, too tight to his man leaving space behind, etc. His aerial dominance is good but he gets caught a lot rashly going for a ball he's never going to make. By his age he should've sorted that out. I know he has had a lot of partners and I agree with Watson beside him he's generally a lot better. But he's not a raw youngster any more, he should be doing better for me...

Riiiiiiight, I've been to 9 this season.

6 games off being entitled to an opinion that will be taken seriously apparently.

Who the f**k decided you had to attend 15 games for your opinion to be valid? Idiot

Paul Watson is 23. Dougie Hill is 29. If Hill is relying on someone like Watson to get him through a game (and for what it's worth I agree fully with your points) then the problem is with him, nobody else.

For what it's worth I'm not sure I'd keep Hill. I'm aware the majority would but he's 29 years old, played for us for five years, been the only centre back who's played all season, he should have his stamp all over the team. He should be barking orders, leading by example. But he isn't. He's far from the only one, obviously, but I think he's been poor over the last few months - not making individual clangers that catch the eye, just continually caught under the ball, too tight to his man leaving space behind, etc. His aerial dominance is good but he gets caught a lot rashly going for a ball he's never going to make. By his age he should've sorted that out. I know he has had a lot of partners and I agree with Watson beside him he's generally a lot better. But he's not a raw youngster any more, he should be doing better for me...

Personally love Dougie Hill. Feel he is exactly the player we need. He's a warrior and wears his heart on his sleeve. Decent player too

Riiiiiiight, I've been to 9 this season, which isn't too shabby as I work most weekends, but don't let that get in the way of your agenda.

But lets all attack me, just because I'm a little more extreme than others.

I'm out as well only made a similar number to you living near London and working shift so my opinion doesn't count

Why 15 games why not 20?

Do the games have to be home? Do away games count extra?

What if you had a beer before does that make his opinion irrelevant?

Can it be 14 +watching the St Johnstone game on TV?

:lol: