The New Raith Rovers Thread

Well no you didn't - at the start of the season the top 3 now were clearly ahead in terms of squad depth, Queen of the South and Morton ought to have been at least on a par with Raith in terms of momentum and resources. The only clear issue is an alarming drop in form with the likes of Dumbarton and Alloa doing well enough to overtake you. No particular reason to panic apart from trying to survive next season, which will be undoubtedly brutal for most clubs.

At first I thought Bert was doing well, getting us to play open attractive stuff, always looking like scoring and steady in defence. He must have done something right to start with, so what's he up to? Now we're all at sea, defensively and in attack. He seems to have sleeped walked into this - in all his post match comments he's never mentioned the obvious failings which now take place every week; I doubt he can see them.

Fair point re: our initial squad depth - Murray seemed to opt for quality (at this level) over quantity. We knew we might begin to struggle once injuries / suspensions started to kick in. However, Murray has been able to bring in other players since then and, in my opinion, only Baird has had any positive impact.

It's more disappointment / depression than panic I would say.

If we finish 8th ahead of Morton and Cowdenbeath, they will end up getting replaced by The Rangers and Dunfermline (Potentially), who are undoubtedly better teams than the two below us this season.

If Murray stays then I'm going to really worry about the next campaign.

We aren't even safe yet and we could get relegated. But obviously, he won't lose his job because we beat the likes of Stirling Albion and Annan to get to a diddy cup final.

Edited by Guest

We will almost certainly be relegated next season (if not this season) if he remains in charge.

We will no doubt lose our better players over the summer and be left with dross like Robinson, Cardle, Spence, Fox and Smith. It's a frightening thought.

The league position and results earlier this season merely papered over the cracks and I thought so at the time. Look as far back as Cowdenbeath away in game 2 of the season, 3-2 down late on and win with a pen from a dive.

Up until October we were getting results we didn't deserve due to McGurns saves and Watson being in there. We have been rank all season, we just got away with it for the first 3-4 months.

We weren't playing great early doors but we deserved to be where we were. Some of our football was actually quite good.

A mediocre, or even poor, run of results since Xmas would still have seen us up there challenging for 4th.

Instead we have been mind blowingly horrific. Based purely in football reasons, Murrays position is completely untenable.

Oh it is not. 'Untenable' would be in ninth position, and papped out all the cups early doors. The position we're in is highly undesirable but that's overstating things.

Has everyone forgotten that we went to Dens Park on Tuesday and took a point and a clean sheet? Just because hardly anyone was there doesn't mean it doesn't count.

Aye, it's shite following Rovers but what can you do?

I'm actually thinking of heading through to Alloa on Saturday. f**k knows why. I very much doubt this team has the stomach for a relegation battle, if it comes to that. I'm still pinning my hopes on Cowdenbeath fucking up rather than us taking it into our own hands. I just hope that by the time we meet them at Starks we are still about 7 points clear.

Edited by Scary Bear

Oh it is not. 'Untenable' would be in ninth position, and papped out all the cups early doors. The position we're in is highly undesirable but that's overstating things.

Has everyone forgotten that we went to Dens Park on Tuesday and took a point and a clean sheet? Just because hardly anyone was there doesn't mean it doesn't count.

Nope. I was at Dens park and was very pleased with how we defended.

The way that same defence played yesterday was utterly horrific.

The form table since December makes horrific reading. There is little evidence to suggest things are going to get any better.

Murray was faced with two huge tests this season. How he coped with losing the unbeaten run in November, and how he coped with injuries.

Our form, and the fact that our ability to defend is almost entirely reliant on one man being fit, says it all to me.

Edited by CALDERON

I think the two biggest things that have fucked our season have been McGurn and Watson's injuries and reaching the Ramsdens final.

The injuries to McGurn and Watson seems to have turned our defence into a quivering wreck which has sapped confidence from the entire team

Reaching the Ramsdens final I think has given a number of players the belief that they have already made it and are better than they are which has shown in complacent performances ever since

Here are the statistics guys.

Laidlaw Pld 15 Conceded 20 Clean sheets 4

Robinson Pld 8 Conceded 20 Clean sheets 1

I for one cannot wait for the return of Laidlaw and get this Mackem to f**k.

I'd like to see Ross back in and if not then give him the Ramsdens final at least

Wow, I've always preferred Laidlaw but I had no idea that's what the stats were like.... Am I right in thinking that is virtually been the same defence in front of them both (with a variable of Ellis / Donaldson), though Robinson has had Watson playing in two of his games?

I think the two biggest things that have fucked our season have been McGurn and Watson's injuries and reaching the Ramsdens final.

The injuries to McGurn and Watson seems to have turned our defence into a quivering wreck which has sapped confidence from the entire team

Reaching the Ramsdens final I think has given a number of players the belief that they have already made it and are better than they are which has shown in complacent performances ever since

I think that because we went for quality ( if that's what you call it ) and not quantity, there's not enough competition for places and some of the players know that even if they are shite every week they're not going to get dropped. Can't see why Murray hasn't brought in a couple of loanees to boalster the squad and give us some fresh legs for the last 15/20 mins in games especially on the flanks. Get a left sided winger and put cardle on the right for the last quarter of the game. We need to try something different. Not gonna start on the missing defence except try a 532 for a change