The New Raith Rovers Thread

You said you'd sack Murray if we failed to get top 4.

I'd agree that, following our start to the season, missing out on a top four place would be sore. However, if you asked us all at the start of the season if we would've been satisfied with 6th in the league, a Ramsdens cup final, a Scottish Cup QF, Paying off some debt and 4 of our own youth products establishing themselves as first team regulars then I think the majority would've been quite content with that. Remember, we are a generally average team too.

We have 10 games left this season in the league and a couple of cracking cup ties to look forward to. Granted our form results-wise is poor but we've put in some not bad performances in the last 3 games. A bit of support, a bit of tightening up at the back and a bit of confidence/ luck and I think we may still contest the top four and have a chance of winning one of the big cup games.

Let's see where the next 2.5 months take us before we start talking of sacking folk.

Good post, agree 100%.

You said you'd sack Murray if we failed to get top 4.

I'd agree that, following our start to the season, missing out on a top four place would be sore. However, if you asked us all at the start of the season if we would've been satisfied with 6th in the league, a Ramsdens cup final, a Scottish Cup QF, Paying off some debt and 4 of our own youth products establishing themselves as first team regulars then I think the majority would've been quite content with that. Remember, we are a generally average team too.

We have 10 games left this season in the league and a couple of cracking cup ties to look forward to. Granted our form results-wise is poor but we've put in some not bad performances in the last 3 games. A bit of support, a bit of tightening up at the back and a bit of confidence/ luck and I think we may still contest the top four and have a chance of winning one of the big cup games.

Let's see where the next 2.5 months take us before we start talking of sacking folk.

if you had asked us all at the end of october if we would`ve been satisfied with 6th in the league i think the majority would say no.there are currently 5 teams above us 1 comfortably so who are no better than us which could suggest our problems aren`t player related

i`ll stand by what i said regarding murray and our final league placing

im hoping Watson coming back in with get a bit of stability at the back with Hill tho anytime ive seen Thompson this season I havent been impressed with him at all but since he has the captains armband he will be undropable in the same way Davo and Walker were. Going to make an effort to make as many of the remaining games as i can. If we can get a win sooner rather than later hoping that gives the squad a bit more confidence much like the Hibs game did for our lack of scoring

Its not an ideal situation but we have time to pull ourselves out of this

We looked a bit better with Watson back in there. But yup Robinson out for me I think. Said it on the match thread, and on Facebook. He reminds me of Ramiro. Gives me a headache every time he gets the ball...

Based on how meekly Rovers have conceded straight after half time in last couple of matches, perhaps Grant should stop his half time team talks,

perhaps he should just stop altogether.

Again it wasn't happening today with 5 in the midfield and even when we went 3-1 down he took a striker of and put one on. Shouldve taken fox off for spence considering we were chasing the game by then. As for Robinson, he could dive in front of a bus and it would go under him

I'll post up a proper reasoned argument later, but people have changed their tune on Laidlaw, bloody drastically. He was good in the Hibs game, but before that we looked panicked at the back, and he was directly at fault for goals.

If Robinson had saved the first one today, it would've been a better save than anything Laidlaw managed against Hibs.

He came out for a cross that he didn't get anywhere near today, and might've done better for the third (I'd need to see it again) but every goalkeeper in the world will concede goals like the first two.

Obviously we're conceding far too many goals, but chopping and changing AGAIN isn't going to help that. Now that Watson is back we should be able to name a consistent defensive unit for a few games running.

I actually quite like Laidlaw, I was one of his staunchest champions when Stewart was the alternative, but Robinson is the better goalkeeper, at this moment in time. Laidlaw was directly at fault for more goals in the home game against Cowdenbeath than Robinson has been in the entire time he's been here.

Edited by Raith Against The Machine

Much as I've questions over whether or not Robinson could've saved those goals today, lets take a minute to remember Laidlaw was more than culpable of chucking goals away previously. Yes, dropping him after the Hibs game may seem harsh, but let's not all start pretending he's the answer.

Last week, the injured Paul Watson was the answer. Now he's back it seems that there's someone else who isn't playing is viewed as the solution.

Though it didn't make things better for us, I thought bringing on Vaughan for Callaghan was the right move, though really either of him or Fox being subbed would've been right as they were our worst outfield performers. We could maybe have went with two up front, but Spence is dross so I doubt that would have made a difference.

Smith actually played quite well today I thought. I'm often unhappy with his contributions but he actually did a good job of leading the line.

Laidlaw could have been dropped after any one of his keech displays, to stick by him then drop him after a good game was a bit off.

Robinson is certainly nowhere near good enough as was suggested to us, and probably not a great deal better than we already have.

My fondness for Dave McGurn grows game after game without him.

Thought we were reasonable today. Some neat passages of play and an absolute cracker from Cardle but we badly need a win to instill belief back in the side.

Good to see Paul Watson back today and even better to see him get through the ninety minutes without, it seems, any problems.

Big game against Morton next week.

Edited by Andy C