The New Raith Rovers Thread

You been thinking that one up all morning?

I was just trying to coax a bellend of a Cowden fan onto our thread. No surprise to see the Cocklord himself appear.

One Jimmy Nicholl, there's only one Jimmy Nicholl.

Feel so sorry for you. Try being papped out the cups at the first stage and being brutal all season,

To be honest, nobody really expected anything else from Cowden.

We have a full time squad with a budget obviously geared towards the play offs, to be even worrying about 9th spot this season is utter failure. Especially considering our position in Jamuary.

Again, what the f**k are you on about? Were you in some sort of car crash that damaged your brain or something?

You ask a lot of questions. Have you just dropped in for a chat?

See that Cowden got humped yesterday. Hopefully Livi can finish the job on Saturday.

2 wins in 16, btw.

Just let that sink in - it's abysmal. I'm starting to wonder if our start was a fluke and we have a squad that isn't actually very good at all.

I'm struggling to pinpoint a reason other than our defence being awful at times, yet no-one really gets on at anyone in our defence - so where does the problem lie? Callum Booth is possibly our player of the year, Jason Thomson is reliable enough even if not as influential this season and Paul Watson was basically hailed as jesus only a month ago. That leaves Dougie Hill, who most people seem happy enough with despite his red card habit.

I know we've struggled to have our defence settled lately, but there ia obviously a big problem with the players as a unit. I can't identify an individual weakness.

Edited by Michael W

2 wins in 16, btw.

Just let that sink in - it's abysmal. I'm starting to wonder if our start was a fluke and we have a squad that isn't actually very good at all.

I'm struggling to pinpoint a reason other than our defence being awful at times, yet no-one really gets on at anyone in our defence - so where does the problem lie? Callum Booth is possibly our player of the year, Jason Thomson is reliable enough even if not as influential this season and Paul Watson was basically hailed as jesus only a month ago. That leaves Dougie Hill, who most people seem happy enough with despite his red card habit.

I know we've struggled to have our defence settled lately, but there ia obviously a big problem with the players as a unit. I can't identify an individual weakness.

Can't argue with any of that. I think the difference is what's behind them. With McGurn there it instills confidence, with Laidlaw/Robinson there's just not the same confidence or organisation hence the awful shipping of goals.

Also our attack jjust stopped goals at the start of his year. That didnt help

2 wins in 16, btw.

Many may disgaree but I think our deficiencies lie in the midfield area.

I'm not doubting that our two regular starters there, Moon and Fox, are quality players but I've been more frustrated than usual at the space the opposition have been granted in midfield this season.

I think it's a system issue, not personnel.

Can't argue with any of that. I think the difference is what's behind them. With McGurn there it instills confidence, with Laidlaw/Robinson there's just not the same confidence or organisation hence the awful shipping of goals.

Also our attack jjust stopped goals at the start of his year. That didnt help

This is where I think it gets interesting.

Often, you can tell a defence have no confidence in a keeper when they're a panicking mess. I haven't really felt that to be the case from what I've seen, instead it's more just been a failure to do something.

Thing is though, there must be some degree of truth in it. We were OK when Laidlaw first came in, but after he made a few errors it's been non-stop with conceding since.

2 wins in 16, btw.

For me, the decline in form came with player suspensions/injuries to the creative players on the wings: Cardle, Anderson, Booth and Thomson.

They all missed games in Nov/Dec/Jan. Even when they've come back into the side, we haven't been able to return to our passing wing play game. Whether that was to do with heavy playing surfaces, lack of confidence, change of tactics, or all three, I'm not sure. I just wish we could get back to that style of play, as currently we don't seem to have any particular ethos, in terms of style of play; it just seems like your typical Scottish shitty ineffective football.