The New Raith Rovers Thread

McKeown's long-throws aren't quite as dangerous as they've been cracked up to be. Bear in mind he's just been playing at Cowdenbeath where the pitch is several yards narrower.

Any idea if Archie Campbell is signing for us?

Contrary to the squad lists posted on here, we signed Gary Glen instead. Obviously Gary's been injured pre-season, hence his lack of action. No idea when he'll be back.

#PrayforGary

f**k me is Hammill still in there, even i would have let him out by now Zen ya cruel b*****d…...

He was incarcerated in the North East for a while, then he was released into the community, the only reasonable place to do so was Airdrie.

Really unimpressed with Perry signing. The guy is absolutely woeful.

based on what,other supporters opinions or having watched him regularly?

He is a dud.

f**k me,thats rich when you have the likes of moshni,oh aye and elbows

How is Rory doing for you guys? Disappointed we lost him.

hes certainly no calum booth that for sure but he looks decent but reluctant to get forward regularly .

I don't think it's fair to say that McKeown is reluctant to get forward. If anything, he's a little more direct than Booth. Whereas Cardle would come inside and Booth would stick to the touchline like a rabbit on a rail and try to hit the byline. McKeown seems to aim for somewhere around about the corner of the box before releasing the ball. At one point in the St Johnstone game there was a little give and go, which didn't quite come off, but ended up with him in the right wing position. That, if anything, is being too eager to get forward!

I'd agree with Raith Against the Machine. I really think it is too early to judge too (preseason cliche I know). Last season Booth was absolutely ruining teams on the wing but in the second half of the season he became a bit more conservative in moving forward with the ball. McKeown looks relatively solid in tackles so far and isn't exactly an Eddie Malone type who'd rarely venture further than the half way line.

f**k me,thats rich when you have the likes of moshni,oh aye and elbows .

No one mentioned them though.

Personally think Perry will be a good addition now. Wasn't there on Saturday but seems like he fitted in well. Doubt he'll play very much after Hill and Barr are fit but it will hopefully allow us to send Bates out on loan.

I don't think it's fair to say that McKeown is reluctant to get forward. If anything, he's a little more direct than Booth. Whereas Cardle would come inside and Booth would stick to the touchline like a rabbit on a rail and try to hit the byline. McKeown seems to aim for somewhere around about the corner of the box before releasing the ball. At one point in the St Johnstone game there was a little give and go, which didn't quite come off, but ended up with him in the right wing position. That, if anything, is being too eager to get forward!

I'd agree with Raith Against the Machine. I really think it is too early to judge too (preseason cliche I know). Last season Booth was absolutely ruining teams on the wing but in the second half of the season he became a bit more conservative in moving forward with the ball. McKeown looks relatively solid in tackles so far and isn't exactly an Eddie Malone type who'd rarely venture further than the half way line.

just have to agree to disagree.yes its early days but i`ve seen nothing to suggest that he`ll be seen in a similar mould as booth in an attacking sense,booth gave cardle great support and extra attacking dimension but saying that McKeown has very little to support as we are toling width wise for me....

booths rampaging runs being less so in the second half of the season could be put down to instructions from murray due to our shitey form/performances from december onwards

not for one minute saying eddie malone,,esk ;)

I agree that on first impressions, McKeown doesn't fill me with as much enthusiasm as Booth did, although that's not to say that I think he's performed poorly.

It could also be the case that he's still growing into a new kind of role too. He was asked to play as a wing back at Cowdenbeath and provide them with width, whereas our 4-4-2 means he has to curtail that a wee bit.

I'm also sceptical as to how much protection Conroy will give him, which is something else he possibly has to consider before he goes off gallivanting.

There were signs he was keen to get forward though, with that chance at the end of the first half, and as has already been mentioned, the moment where he popped up on the right wing in the second.

It may be no bad thing that mcKeown seems a bit less cavalier than Booth. Booth looked good and was definately the type of player the fans loved to see.

We need to remember though that we were shipping goals left right and centre for months. Although not obvious Booth playing in an attacking style did leave a lot of space in behind which hurt us.

Hopefuly the overall shape will suit and we will be a better team for it.

I agree that on first impressions, McKeown doesn't fill me with as much enthusiasm as Booth did, although that's not to say that I think he's performed poorly.

It could also be the case that he's still growing into a new kind of role too. He was asked to play as a wing back at Cowdenbeath and provide them with width, whereas our 4-4-2 means he has to curtail that a wee bit.

I'm also sceptical as to how much protection Conroy will give him, which is something else he possibly has to consider before he goes off gallivanting.

There were signs he was keen to get forward though, with that chance at the end of the first half, and as has already been mentioned, the moment where he popped up on the right wing in the second.

For the little we've seen of him, I thought Conroy has been fairly diligent with his defensive duties. One thing maybe worth mentioning is that Conroy doesn't cut in nearly so much. he doesn't go for the byeline that much iether but seems to want to put balls across the box from quite deep (which is fine becuase he certainly can whip a decent ball in) that must limit the space for McKeown to attack down that side. part of the reason Booth was so proficient at attacking the left side byline is surely because Cardle was so intent on making space for him to do so on the overlap by cutting inside on his right. Conroy is left footed and won't give up that axis of attack so often as he has to keep it on that side to get a decent delivery.

Conroy can play left back as well can he not? Surely he'll know how to cover McKeown? I've not seen the team in pre season though so can't really comment. Surely be able to protect him better than Cardle?