The New Raith Rovers Thread

For anyone who isn't signed up to the Rovers email newsletter, this just in...

"Increased Profits Recorded by Raith Rovers FC As Chairman Turnbull Hutton Announces His Intention To Step Down".

Regarding this, full article with finance info on the site here

So Hutton has stepped down ...

I'm also curious how Murray is now feeling ... It doesn't look like any secret Hutton was a Murray man via his "Captain Mainwaring" speech last season .... A new board (or members or chairman) may want a new man at the helm ? ....

All in all though Hutton has been a great service to our club, frustrating as of late but he has done wonders none the less !

Edited by ADMO

I'm also curious how Murray is now feeling ... It doesn't look like any secret Hutton was a Murray man via his "Captain Mainwaring" speech last season .... A new board (or members or chairman) may want a new man at the helm ? ....

Was just about to say the same thing. A new chairman might not be as supportive towards Murray should things not improve on the pitch.

Its an exceptionally good set of books to get back, but I think people will be realistic about it. Last year we had some brilliant cup results financially, notably the Easter Road games and the Sky cameras visiting when St Johnstone came to town. However, at the same time, we've seen us decline so far on the park. Hutton's Don't Panic statement came across as a bit patronising to the fans for expecting better of the team.

This season we're in a good position but the football hasn't been great to say the least. We've had numerous injuries and been pumped by more than four goals on four occasions, as well as dropping 4 to Queen of the South. I think things have become a bit more sour since the Alloa game, where we effectively resigned ourselves to a point with a lacklustre display against a team who'd lost their last four games.

The main worry for me is that, in my opinion, the club has taken the approach that we're lucky to be here and enjoy the big crowds from Rangers and Hearts. They've obviously got a long term strategy thought out following on from next season. But more and more people are choosing to go to the Flyers each week as it seems to be guaranteed entertainment and something a bit different. Why pay £17 when you can watch Real Madrid on the telly later that night? People don't really watch NHL so much over here, so Flyers offer a local alternative which is a bit rarer.

I don't think sacking Murray will see us rocket up to gates of 2,200 upwards on a weekly basis and we'll become an established top flight team. He seems a great guy, and has been a great servant. But I genuinely think we'd be better with someone who will try to improve us tactically. Even the Linlithgow fans were pointing out our main tactic from Saturday seemed to be pinging the ball to Anderson.

Edited by rw89

Its an exceptionally good set of books to get back, but I think people will be realistic about it. Last year we had some brilliant cup results financially, notably the Easter Road games and the Sky cameras visiting when St Johnstone came to town. However, at the same time, we've seen us decline so far on the park. Hutton's Don't Panic statement came across as a bit patronising to the fans for expecting better of the team.

This season we're in a good position but the football hasn't been great to say the least. We've had numerous injuries and been pumped by more than four goals on four occasions, as well as dropping 4 to Queen of the South. I think things have become a bit more sour since the Alloa game, where we effectively resigned ourselves to a point with a lacklustre display against a team who'd lost their last four games.

The main worry for me is that, in my opinion, the club has taken the approach that we're lucky to be here and enjoy the big crowds from Rangers and Hearts. They've obviously got a long term strategy thought out following on from next season. But more and more people are choosing to go to the Flyers each week as it seems to be guaranteed entertainment and something a bit different. Why pay £17 when you can watch Real Madrid on the telly later that night? People don't really watch NHL so much over here, so Flyers offer a local alternative which is a bit rarer.

I don't think sacking Murray will see us rocket up to gates of 2,200 upwards on a weekly basis and we'll become an established top flight team. He seems a great guy, and has been a great servant. But I genuinely think we'd be better with someone who will try to improve us tactically. Even the Linlithgow fans were pointing out our main tactic from Saturday seemed to be pinging the ball to Anderson.

Depends on what the board consider to be the priorities. Is it getting the ground back or is it what's on the pitch? Personally I don't care if we're in the bottom tier; I want Stark's Park to be owned by Raith Rovers and not John Sim.

Sad news Turnbull's stepping down. We're a far stronger club with him at the helm than not and I doubt we'd still be in our current existence if it wasn't for his time and money. Some might not like his straight talking but at least you know where you stand. More than earned his retirement and deserves thanks for what he has done.

Good financial results as well.

Depends on what the board consider to be the priorities. Is it getting the ground back or is it what's on the pitch? Personally I don't care if we're in the bottom tier; I want Stark's Park to be owned by Raith Rovers and not John Sim.

Yeah. There's obviously got to be a balance - if crowds dwindle and we get dumped out the cups early then the finance isn't going to work out. But if we are making progress towards paying off the ground debt then I'm more than willing to accept a team that's treading water for the time being.

Below is what the man has achieved over the last 3 years and for that we must all be eternally grateful.

June 30th 2011.

Raith Rovers have announced financial losses of £162,000 for the year to June 30, 2011.

The club’s balance sheet also shows a £1.4m debt, although it stressed that £1.2m of that simply stems from “intercompany funding from our holding companies”.

June 30th 2014

The Club’s accounts for the year ended 30th June 2014 have been finalised, approved and signed off by the Auditors. The accounts show almost a 20% increase in profit for the year of £97,499 (previous year £81,350).

The Club’s Balance Sheet also continues to improve with zero bank debt and all liabilities for taxes and suppliers fully up to date at the year end. As at 30th June 2014 only loans from directors of £88,000, and inter company debts totalling £338,000 remained outstanding.

Below is what the man has achieved over the last 3 years and for that we must all be eternally grateful.

June 30th 2011.

Raith Rovers have announced financial losses of £162,000 for the year to June 30, 2011.

The club’s balance sheet also shows a £1.4m debt, although it stressed that £1.2m of that simply stems from “intercompany funding from our holding companies”.

June 30th 2014

The Club’s accounts for the year ended 30th June 2014 have been finalised, approved and signed off by the Auditors. The accounts show almost a 20% increase in profit for the year of £97,499 (previous year £81,350).

The Club’s Balance Sheet also continues to improve with zero bank debt and all liabilities for taxes and suppliers fully up to date at the year end. As at 30th June 2014 only loans from directors of £88,000, and inter company debts totalling £338,000 remained outstanding.

Winning cup matches and getting decent draws (Celtic twice a few years ago and Hibs away, St Johnstone at home televised and the Ramsdens last year) have played much of their part in this. However, you can't really complain much about the running of the club over the past few years.

I still remember the year after your first paragraph - we lost £80k despite making cuts to the team's budget after our failed promotion attempt. You can go back in this thread and see myself and several others going absolutely ballistic about that, and I think it ended in Turnbull calling for a meeting due to the unanimous anti-board sentiment. It was only from there that things started looking up and our financial health started to improve: trust in the board improved greatly and the club budgeted sensibly. Despite dissatisfaction with the management, I do believe we're on a good footing for the future. Turnbull deserves a lot of credit for this and has played a huge part in getting us to here, for which I am exceptionally grateful.

I was very unhappy with some of his barely disguised rants last season which almost seemed to blame the fans, but he's entitled to his views.

Will take my hat off to Turnbull.

The post above with the two snapshots from 2011 and today speak volumes for me.

Now his straight talking was a PR nightmare, sometimes it worked, other times it didn't but by in large I think his heart was always in the right place.

I can also imagine that a small part of Turnbull's kids inheritance has been spunked up the wall of Starks Park.

Seen some fans regard this as a great day for the club which is a bit disappointing. I doubt we have a oil oligarth waiting in the wings.

Edited by mojito

Seen some fans regard this as a great day for the club which is a bit disappointing. I doubt we have a oil oligarth waiting on the wings.

I'm surprised folk feel like that. I was no fan of the way he dealt with criticism from the support but at least the board appear to have learnt for some horrendous budgeting errors 2 or 3 years ago and have turned things around (helped by some good cup results under Murray to be fair).

Seen some fans regard this as a great day for the club which is a bit disappointing. I doubt we have a oil oligarth waiting on the wings.

That's genuinely astounding if true. I'd love to hear the logic.

I honestly can't see anyone moaning about Hutton and being glad he's gone; maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I expected nonsense from some of the Facebook page seethers but it turns out the world is full of surprises and I didn't see any negative comments about him.

Edited by Michael W