The New Raith Rovers Thread

Really, really underwhelmed with the signings so far.

Like the McCord signing, Megginson potential I suppose and Benedictus half decent although we may have let go better.

So far a bit meh, hopefully there's far more up Ray's sleeve in terms of signings.

As an aside, I know that McKinnon has said that he's broadly looking at a younger squad, but we weren't exactly awash with geezers last season.

Fox, Moon, Elliot and Conroy have left and taken most of the experience in the squad with them. If you discount the goalkeepers, and Laurie Ellis, the elder statesman of the team is Grant Anderson, who's 28.

I'm not trying to be negative, and I'm fully aware there's plenty time left for squad building, but I'd be more comfortable with a couple of regular starters who've been around the block a few times.

Also, I'd still like an outlandish marquee signing, even if he's going to be injured half the time and cost a fortune. Excite me, damnit!

Really, really underwhelmed with the signings so far.

Like the McCord signing, Megginson potential I suppose and Benedictus half decent although we may have let go better.

So far a bit meh, hopefully there's far more up Ray's sleeve in terms of signings.

Well it's 9 out (if we now include Watson as 'out' and 5 in: McCord, Megginson, Petrie, Benedictus and Toshney.

Defence looks largely sorted, centre of midfield has Callachan, McCord, Petrie and Mathews, so maybe another guy in there, another guy who can play out wide to complement Megginson and Anderson and some competition for Vaughan and Stewart.

Edited by renton

As an aside, I know that McKinnon has said that he's broadly looking at a younger squad, but we weren't exactly awash with geezers last season.

Fox, Moon, Elliot and Conroy have left and taken most of the experience in the squad with them. If you discount the goalkeepers, and Laurie Ellis, the elder statesman of the team is Grant Anderson, who's 28.

I'm not trying to be negative, and I'm fully aware there's plenty time left for squad building, but I'd be more comfortable with a couple of regular starters who've been around the block a few times.

Also, I'd still like an outlandish marquee signing, even if he's going to be injured half the time and cost a fortune. Excite me, damnit!

In fairness, despite their relative youth, guys like McCord, Megginson and Benedictus have been round the block at least a couple of times by now.

Well it's 9 out (if we now include Watson as 'out' and 5 in: McCord, Megginson, Petrie, Benedictus and Toshney.

Defence looks largely sorted, centre of midfield has Callachan, McCord, Petrie and Mathews, so maybe another guy in there, another guy who can play out wide to complement Megginson and Anderson and some competition for Vaughan and Stewart.

Yeah would agree the defence is looking sewn up with, especially with Petrie being versatile and can play at the back too it looks like we'll cover all bases.

Be interesting to see what sort of wages these guys so far will be on, coming from where they have may suggest that they could be on lower wages than what our big earners were on last season? Maybe free up some funds for a more marquee name or two. Also the Wighton deal is still a possibility so it will be interesting to see his next moves.

We are never going to be able to sign the best players in this league. Anyone proven at this level is likely to go to Hibs or St Mirren or to a Premiership side. Look at the QOTS...how many of their top players from last season have they lost already?

We have to look at who are the best players available from teams around and below us. Look at players who are part-time and who can and want to make the step up. As has been said last season our defence and centre midfield were shocking. We have to take gambles at this level at players.

We're covered at left and right back now and centre back we have Benedictus, Toshney, Barr and Bates. If Watson signs up then great, if not I still think we could do with some extra cover or is there another youth player who could step up?

Centre midfield we have Petrie, McCord, Callachan and Matthews. Still very light in my opinion and really could do with an experienced player in there just to shore things up and to give guidance to the youngsters. We only have 1 right and 1 left winger as well so again need something else there.

We have to remember as well than McKinnon will likely turn to our youth set-up far more than his predecessor's ever did.

But with Anderson being the most experienced, and then Thomson and Stewart, 1 or 2 players with a bit more experience is a no-brainer.

Lets face it, I'd be more worried if we retained the whole back line. We were Shite at the back for long spells last season. Improved when McGurn was in goal....

Agreed with this. Individually none of McKeown, Watson, Hill, Barr or Thomson had poor seasons. In McKeown and Watson's case at least after Perry left. But we were still chronic at the back. Diabolical. Wholesale change seems harsh but I think it was needed.

I do agree the signings have been generally underwhelming but then last season's seemed good and that got us nowhere. Would still like to see a 'big lad' come in up front, and if Wighton signs too just how far off are we? Maybe one CM and another winger?

Most of the guys that have come in should be hungry, something last season's side weren't. Hopefully it proves to be the case.

Tade was released from Stranraer. Very mixed reviews when we signed him.

Brian Graham was signed from Morton. Morton fans didn't rate him much!

Every signings a risk at this level.

Your general point stands, of course, but Tade did pretty well at Stranraer, earned himself a move from there to (then first-division) Clyde, and was let go by Clyde only because they paid off all their full-timers, contracts or not, when they hit the buffers financially.

As for the new signings, I'm happy to give the guys a chance to come out and play.

Even at their best last season, parts of our team looked distinctly average, so I'm relatively happy to let the likes of Watson and hill move on.

Let's try something new.

Barr must be in his late 20s as well.

And that kit must be our worst for at least 10 years.

Edited by Martin Nelson