The New Raith Rovers Thread

Regarding the Ultras. I have been attending Raith games for over 45 years and have always been singing the songs. Having moved to Derry 10 years ago I only catch a few home games a season and have to say atmosphere is shocking. Away games are far better. I watch Derry City who get lower crowds thab Raith but atmosphere is amazing. Why? Because they have 4 or 5 drums and are played well. I am all for the concept and hope it gathers support. COYR

Just looking at yesterday's programme and struck just how well our youth development is delivering at the moment.

Callachan and Vaughan first team regulars.

Bates, Laidlaw and Matthews looking very decent prospects.

Court, Campbell, Robertson relative unknowns but who knows

Not sure what has made the difference to the barren years but suspect the combined efforts of McGlynn and Murray has helped bring these boys on to some extent. So credit where credit is due

Just looking at yesterday's programme and struck just how well our youth development is delivering at the moment.

Callachan and Vaughan first team regulars.

Bates, Laidlaw and Matthews looking very decent prospects.

Court, Campbell, Robertson relative unknowns but who knows

Not sure what has made the difference to the barren years but suspect the combined efforts of McGlynn and Murray has helped bring these boys on to some extent. So credit where credit is due

Almost all of them came through the youth ranks at SP, I might be wrong but wasn't Jonny Court one of the 4 we signed last summer that had been released from other teams youth development programs?

There has possibly been others too in previous seasons, the big difference could just be the new manager who seems keen to give the kids a chance. Both McGlynn and Murray seemed to go with experience almost every time (until they had no other option).

I totally agree with the philosophy though and glad to see it paying dividends at last, long may it continue.

Now if Barca will just come in and offer a couple of €M for one of em ;)

Regarding the possession football we are playing at 3-0 I could better understand the frustration of fans if we were a goal or two down but cruising at 3-0 and hearing "Get it forward!" had even my son looking at me in amazement. Some of these boys would absolutely hate German football.

I was surprised at Ray McK's comments on that issue too, unless he was talking about earlier before we got the 3rd.

Regarding the possession football we are playing at 3-0 I could better understand the frustration of fans if we were a goal or two down but cruising at 3-0 and hearing "Get it forward!" had even my son looking at me in amazement. Some of these boys would absolutely hate German football.

I was surprised at Ray McK's comments on that issue too, unless he was talking about earlier before we got the 3rd.

I think McKinnon's point was that he didn't want the team to be on cruise control - late in the game we seemed to lack a bit of purpose, happy to keep the ball without trying to threaten with it. The possession football is great though, attractive on the eye and yeah, some of the absurd comments are reminiscent of the 'enough of this tippy tappy pish' comments that Calderon used to get. Stewart seemed to be on the end of quite a few of them when, despite putting in a selfless, committed performance just failed to get on the end of something most forwards wouldn't have bothered their arses starting to try and collect.

Folks see things different ways and often as not both sides have sound reasoning.

Ray doesn't want to see cruise control (and I'm all for that!), but he might just as easily have said "the job was done and we have a couple of injuries in key areas where we have little cover (or none), the prudent course was to hold on to possession and see the game out"

I can see where McKinnon is coming from - he doesn't want us slacking off deciding the game is done. It may well have been in this instance, but early on we need to be getting the intensity up for 90mins or as close as possible. The season has barely started and I'd argue that players only genuinely become properly match fit again a couple into the season. Friendlies are all about fitness, but they don't have the intensity of a competitive match and the players don't quite push themselves as far.

I'd imagine McKinnon won't want a repeat of the drop off if we're defending a one goal lead.

In saying that, I can see why it may come across as harsh. It is a sign our manager won't settle though, which is good to see.

Courier says we're waiting on Vaughan's scan results to see how bad his injury is. Physio is worried he's popped his knee, but we're obviously hoping it is less serious than feared.

Toshney apparently managed some running as well and is about two weeks ahead of where it was thought he'd be.

Really like the way McKinnon conducts himself in interviews, he's so refreshing and honest about the way his team should play. Not like Murray, taking positives from every match despite being humped. And has he even used First and Foremost patter yet, as he'll lose points with that pish haha.

Really like the way McKinnon conducts himself in interviews, he's so refreshing and honest about the way his team should play. Not like Murray, taking positives from every match despite being humped. And has he even used First and Foremost patter yet, as he'll lose points with that pish haha.

He uses the word 'listen' a lot. That can be his new catchphrase.