The New Raith Rovers Thread

He'd probably already been asked in before the severity of Vaughan's injury was clear.

Really depends what McKinnon regards as his biggest priority, we're as short of numbers at the back as we are up-front.

Don't really understand McK's logic in looking for another midfielder, we've got loads surely? (Callachan, Matthews, McCord, Craigen, Petrie and even Barr if ever fit)

Davo would only make sense for just now in the short term as he can cover the centre half role too, but if Toshney is not too far away and Benedictus is free of suspension I'd have thought we're sorted (especially if Bates continues to improve). For this (Davo coming back) to be the case you'd have to assume they Mango's injury is far more serious and far longer term. Also Davo doesn't fit with Ray McK's signing philosophy so far as he's too old.

Perplexed with the familiar face in training if it not Davo though.

If it is Davo I'm unsure why we are looking at yet another midfielder. Didn't we play in a 4.3.3 formation at the weekend? We need another striking option surely

He'd probably already been asked in before the severity of Vaughan's injury was clear.

Really depends what McKinnon regards as his biggest priority, we're as short of numbers at the back as we are up-front.

Davo was asked to turn out against Lochee but declined, make of that what you will.

Just no

If it is to play as a trialist for the game on Sat then fine tho we shouldn't be looking at signing him. we have plenty of options in centre mid and once suspensions are clear we will be fine for centre defence. That aside it would be a real kick in the baws for the likes of Matthews who will be hoping for a chance to impress at some point

Davo was asked to turn out against Lochee but declined, make of that what you will.

If I was McKinnon and was keen to see Davo in action on the basis that a deal might be offered I'd be telling him to bolt and find someone else to train with.

Some folk talk utter shite on here.

Davo has more experience than any of our current midfeilders, mccord has been very poor so far but i expect that to change once settled. Like many of this seasons signings davo can play in various positions or formations and has a range of passing. Ray has been honest in saying over that last few weeks that we lack proper experience, i trust mckinnon miles more than murray! So we will see,

I dont think we need a striker yet when we habe robertson and court (yes court was given a loan) but if recall it now and chuck em in!

Davo has more experience than any of our current midfeilders, mccord has been very poor so far but i expect that to change once settled. Like many of this seasons signings davo can play in various positions or formations and has a range of passing. Ray has been honest in saying over that last few weeks that we lack proper experience, i trust mckinnon miles more than murray! So we will see,

I dont think we need a striker yet when we habe robertson and court (yes court was given a loan) but if recall it now and chuck em in!

No he hasn't.

Also Davo's range of passing is limited to two modes: backwards diagonal to the nearest centre back, and the 40 yard cross field ball out of play.

Just no

If it is to play as a trialist for the game on Sat then fine tho we shouldn't be looking at signing him. we have plenty of options in centre mid and once suspensions are clear we will be fine for centre defence. That aside it would be a real kick in the baws for the likes of Matthews who will be hoping for a chance to impress at some point

Nae trialists in the Championship, mate.

Edit: Meant to say, was it you lot who had JJ Hooper on trial a while back? He's just signed for Cheltenham incase anyone's interested/didn't know.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Sorry 1RC but I disagree.

We were at least 1 striker light before Vaughan's injury we need two now IMO.

Wighton is a decent young forward and ability wise is streets ahead of both Court & Robertson (unless they have improved massively since last seasons games I saw) and even then I don't think he (Craig Wighton) is ready or good enough to get goals (plural) at our level.

With that in mind Davo would be a nice to have in the squad but I think the wage could be better deployed elsewhere at this time. I also agree with PC that it'd be an undeserved blow for Matthews.

Compared to last seasons form for alloa mccord has been poor. Gave the ball away more times in the two cup games and friendlies than liam fox last season.

He cost us 3 goals in 3 games in pre season because he took an extra touch and fell on the ball or extra touch and was tackled in silly position, but hey its pre season. He should come good soon enough.

Davo's range of passing will suit us better than when he was here before. Did anyone moan in 1st two cup games when callachan passed 40 yards for a throw in? Or 10 yards backwards to defence who keep the ball? NOPE!

Just my opinion like many others.

Signings wont please many,

Weve been crying out for a gaffer to finally play some youth boys, and signing someone elses youth striker when we have two who may do a job would be daft just now.!

Yes, Iain Davidson's penchant for passing the ball to a defender three yards behind him (who will launch it under pressure) or launching it diagonally down the line will definitely suit Ray McKinnon's playing style. As will his positional ill-discipline.

Please leave Davidson in the McGlynn era where he belongs.

Compared to last seasons form for alloa mccord has been poor. Gave the ball away more times in the two cup games and friendlies than liam fox last season.

He cost us 3 goals in 3 games in pre season because he took an extra touch and fell on the ball or extra touch and was tackled in silly position, but hey its pre season. He should come good soon enough.

Davo's range of passing will suit us better than when he was here before. Did anyone moan in 1st two cup games when callachan passed 40 yards for a throw in? Or 10 yards backwards to defence who keep the ball? NOPE!

Just my opinion like many others.

Signings wont please many,

Weve been crying out for a gaffer to finally play some youth boys, and signing someone elses youth striker when we have two who may do a job would be daft just now.!

He's doing a different job for us than he did for Alloa, who played him in a more advanced position - we use him as a deep lying playmaker, and while he may have cost us with the odd extra touch in the pre season games, he's been faultless in the two cup games, and has done well in his principle role of keeping the ball moving, and getting it into advanced areas.

As For Callachan, aye he still occasionally tries that holywood ball and sometimes the centre back is the only ball on but it's not all he does, unlike Davo who was a very limited ball player but a decent, strong athlete. We also have the likes of Mathews and Petrie who can play a more sitting role in midfield, and the likes of Craigen who can play further forward - Davo would be a luxury in our team.

As for what we need up front, I agree with Scotty that we do need another forward as a priority, though I'm not after a direct replacement for Vaughan as that number 10 role could be played by Wighton, Megginson or Anderson and you can still have Craigen playing in behind the strikers - not necessarily a number 10 but still providing that link. We are desperately short of someone who can do Stewart's role, holding the ball up and playing off the last defender.

Edited by renton

Yes, Iain Davidson's penchant for passing the ball to a defender three yards behind him (who will launch it under pressure) or launching it diagonally down the line will definitely suit Ray McKinnon's playing style. As will his positional ill-discipline.

Please leave Davidson in the McGlynn era where he belongs.

Agree

Always amuses me when people automatically assume ex players will be a carbon copy, ability wise, from when they originally played with us. There is that possibility that Davo might, you know, have improved since his time with us over 3 years ago. Just saying.

Always amuses me when people automatically assume ex players will be a carbon copy, ability wise, from when they originally played with us. There is that possibility that Davo might, you know, have improved since his time with us over 3 years ago. Just saying.

Possibly even shitter.

It's great to see the reactions of different fanbases to potential signings. Here we have Raith fans in uproar over the prospect of signing Iain Davidson, whereas Morton fans have been in uproar for weeks because we haven't signed Iain Davidson.

Given that point is he has improved why is he training with us and not already signed up elsewhere?

Davo is not the answer. Christ if he was what was question?

Im more than happy for our current crop of midfielders (who haven't even played a league game yet) the opportunity to show us what they are capable of. People showing for Davo back after 2 good showings in cup games should hand in their bunnett and cliche' football abuse shouts at the door

Your post makes no sense....

You say we need experience in midfield and Davidson offers that but yet we don't need a striker and use the examples of Robertson and Court, both of whom have never played a competitive 1st team match in their career.

Davidson will be using facilities to keep fit. We're maybe short of cover at the back but once Benedictus is back next week and Toshney at the same time we're only waiting on Barr. Bates has so far shown he's more than capable of covering in the short term and in midfielder we have about 6 players who can all play centre mid.

Davidson, on both past and present ability, is not needed.