The New Raith Rovers Thread

Stephen Thompson* as player manager

Or insert any other 30+ premier league player that will not get a new contract on SPL wages.

My thoughts exactly. Thompson would be, in my mind, a brave and exciting move.

Am I the only one who thinks Thompson would be a shite appointment? No experience as a manager and has generally plodded along at St Mirren for years. I wouldn't look at him as being exciting.

It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if Butcher came in. He's got experience at this level with Caley, he knows Malpas and he's looking to show what he can do after his time at Hibs.

A few others names would be Aitken of Stranraer (who, incidently, I think would be a fantastic opportunity for both ourselves and Aitken) or Kirkwood (albeit he's untested at this level. Pressley and Adams will probably be linked to it, and while they've both played decent football, they both come across as fannies.

I don't want anyone mentioned here already. There must be loads of managers in England with a decent cv. St Johnstone seem to regularly find decent managers.

I thought you were packing it in due to the disabled season ticket fiasco. No?

I'd have canned Murray before Christmas, but somehow now feel a little unsure that the right decision has been made. This is despite the evidence justifying it; maybe I just feel a bit bad because he's a good guy.

There is also the immediate concern of getting players to sign when we don't have a manager. Then again, the last few weeks have hacked me off to the degree that I'll be happier for a few more of them to leave than I was previously.

I honesty couldn't care less if our next manager is a fanny. If he got us up challenging for the playoffs, winning more games than he lost and playing good football he could be the biggest cock on the planet for me.

Just thinking about it from Murray's perspective it might be better to get sacked now. He can go to another club with a cup win and two quarter finals on his cv and having kept us comfortably in a championship involving hearts, jobs and rangers. In his interview he can just say expectations were too high there and point to his record. Smaller clubs might be attracted by his cup record especially

The thing is, we f**k this up and we could end up back in the third tier.

This is the scenario no one thought about while shouting for his head. Just like the perennial shout for subs, the assumption is that change is always good. Sometimes it makes no difference and sometimes it makes it worse.

Fingers crossed we get it right

To be honest Murrays sacking won't effect players re-signing or new players coming in because Malpas will already have earmarked new players and he will know who we intend to keep/ get rid of anyway. Big decision now for the board to appoint the right man, also the fans have to back the club now via going to games purchasing season tickets etc I was one of the guys who wanted him out but still purchased a season ticket to show my support for the club not the manager.

Feeling pretty gutted for Murray now that it's happened. From the outside looking it looks like a bizarre decision but he's lost the crowd and there was no sign of him getting it back. Next season would have been a shitfest from the off with most of the crowd willing him to fail. At least now we get the chance of a fresh start.

Hopefully everyone who was moaning about Murray and threatening not to renew their season tickets or to stay away will get their arse down to Stark's Park and invest their money in a season ticket to back the club and new manager with money to build a decent squad. There's no excuse not to now as the board has done what you wanted. And when the season starts hopefully the home crowd will try getting behind the team rather than berating folk for mistakes.

Can't say I'm that inspired by the list of usual names being punted about. Mostly has beens or unproven.

I'm buying mine tomorrow.

I thought you were packing it in due to the disabled season ticket fiasco. No?

That and the product being crap.

Sacking Murray has given my son something to think about.

Could not justify a 100% hike in cost with nothing to look forward to. Finally the Board have grown a pair there is fresh enthusiasm. I have spoken to 4 people tonight who are considering renewing who were not if Murray stayed.

To be honest Murrays sacking won't effect players re-signing or new players coming in because Malpas will already have earmarked new players and he will know who we intend to keep/ get rid of anyway. Big decision now for the board to appoint the right man, also the fans have to back the club now via going to games purchasing season tickets etc I was one of the guys who wanted him out but still purchased a season ticket to show my support for the club not the manager.

Lennon would have been the man.

Yep, could all go spectacularly wrong. Hopefully we get the right candidate in and it goes spectacularly right. Everything is a gamble. We could have been relegated next season with Murray in charge.

And that could also have happened if we retained him.

Pleasantly surprised to log on and see the board have taken some action. There are plenty candidates out there although some are with clubs just now. What about Young at Albion Rovers? Aitken is also a good shout if Stranraer don't come up. Gary Bollan as well.

Maybe even Allan Johnston?

Anyway, good luck to Murray in the future.

Edited by Martin Nelson

I am not sure who we could employ that would have us playing worse than Murray. The football was awful. Results were poor to average overall.

Get a decent manager we might attract better players.