The New Raith Rovers Thread

Not before time. I do hope Bert finds another job in football but it shouldnt be as a manager, he's clueless. Some are saying he kept us in the division but I'd rather have a team worth watching in a lower league than the painful incompetence we've had under Murray. I remember the quality of football we played when we had Calderon, in particular. I'd have liked Butcher back but hes gone to Wales (we probably cant afford him now anyway). I agree with the comments that Adams or Pressley could be good choices, regardless of what comes out of their mouths. But please, not Ellis - we need to new start with a clean slate..

I wouldn't be so flippant about life in league 1, given how painful it was to get out of there last time, and what a drain it is on the club's infrastructure.

The club has pulled itself into a decent position now, but it's still fragile. Relegation would send us back years again.

As for Calderón, great football (though I mind plenty of screaming about his "tippy tappy pish") but a bunch of mercenaries on six month contracts is hardly sutainable.

Apparently he was given a 1 year deal when he joined Alloa. Id imagine, Alloa will get rid of him if they go down for financial reasons.

If that's the case, 'mon the Cowden and 'mon the Livi. Wouldn't mind Lennon.

If that's the case, 'mon the Cowden and 'mon the Livi. Wouldn't mind Lennon.

Lennon does come with advantage that he's already left starks to a chorus of boos as a player, so at least we won't have to bother with breaking him in.....

Interesting but refreshing comments from Young. Glad to see the club aren't willing to just accept that 6th place is where we should be. It really gives a sense of the club wanting to progress and move forward than remain static and always remain a mid table championship team. Interesting to read that Malpas is definitely not a candidate to replace Murray as well.

Jefferies?!?!?!?!

A fucking dinosaur who makes Mcglynn look like a Brazilian coach.

I'm honestly struggling with the notion that folk thought Murray was clueless and incompetent - and then the same people go and suggest dinosaurs, non-descripts and proven failures like Jefferies, Calderwood and Cameron.

Edited by renton

Interesting but refreshing comments from Young. Glad to see the club aren't willing to just accept that 6th place is where we should be. It really gives a sense of the club wanting to progress and move forward than remain static and always remain a mid table championship team. Interesting to read that Malpas is definitely not a candidate to replace Murray as well.

I think Malpas' position will become clearer if Butcher gets job at Newport. Wouldn't be surprised to see him follow suit.

Malpas' managerial record is very poor though and he's definitely more suited to being a coach.

"But there has been a lack of ambition, work and no signs of moving forward, which has been concerning."

It'd be interesting to know how Young measured those objectives - was it Murray's attitude to the defeats? His signing targets? re-signing targets? A lack of forward planning?

"But there has been a lack of ambition, work and no signs of moving forward, which has been concerning."

It'd be interesting to know how Young measured those objectives - was it Murray's attitude to the defeats? His signing targets? re-signing targets? A lack of forward planning?

He used his eyes?

If our ambition recently has been to simply not get relegated, job done

If, as the article suggests, it was to push for the playoffs, we have fallen short. I've no doubt the budget we were set was geared towards that, and Murray has IMO fallen short.

If we'd made a better go at the playoffs there is no doubt in my mind Murray would still be here. Alas, we missed by a mile in the end.

Edited by Michael W

He used his eyes?

And saw what? What exactly was it that Murray wasn't doing that he should have been doing to show 'ambition' or 'signs of moving forward' - at this point I'm not saying it's the wrong decision but I don't see what's so interesting about a bunch of generalized buzz words to describe why someone's failed. It's subjective and everyone can apply their own meanings to them but it doesn't fucking mean anything. I'd like our chairman to be able to articulate clearly exactly where and why Murray failed.

If our ambition recently has been to simply not get relegated, job done

If, as the article suggests, it was to push for the playoffs, we have fallen short. I've no doubt the budget we were set was geared towards that, and Murray has IMO fallen short.

If we'd made a better go at the playoffs there is no doubt in my mind Murray would still be here. Alas, we missed by a mile in the end.

I thought at the end of last session it was announced top 4 was our aim but the excuse given was due to the amount of injuries. This season 4th place has consistently been talked about but as you say correctly we are well short. We are as close to relegation as 4th place and in many of the past seasons we'd have been involved in a relegation battle with our current points total.

If we'd gotten to 50 points this season then I have no doubt he'd still be there. It would have been clear progress and we'd all have acknowledged that.

I thought at the end of last session it was announced top 4 was our aim but the excuse given was due to the amount of injuries. This season 4th place has consistently been talked about but as you say correctly we are well short. We are as close to relegation as 4th place and in many of the past seasons we'd have been involved in a relegation battle with our current points total.

If we'd gotten to 50 points this season then I have no doubt he'd still be there. It would have been clear progress and we'd all have acknowledged that.

But if that 50 points mark was gained in the last 5 games, realistically once the play off chance was gone (slim as it was) what kind of progress is that?

Some 'dinosaur' managers know what they are doing; thats why some of Europs biggest clubs have them. Jefferies Calderwood might be managerial failures but Murray took incompetence to a new level.

In comparison to Jefferies recent outings? Really?

You think Jefferies is as bad as Murray? :unsure2:

Stroll on...

Edit: Relegated "twice"? Relegation doesnt make a bad manager; it was effectively once because of the points deduction.

No doubt I'll be accused by the literally challenged of saying Jefferies was a good manager :)

Edited by Big Berk