The New Raith Rovers Thread

You think Jefferies is as bad as Murray? :unsure2:

Stroll on...

Edit: Relegated "twice"? Relegation doesnt make a bad manager; it was effectively once because of the points deduction.

No doubt I'll be accused by the literally challenged of saying Jefferies was a good manager :)

More than the relegation, it's how he failed to get them back up. In truth, while there are outliers: Managerial geniuses and guys who should be no where near football, it's a pretty tight distribution of skills and abilities for the majority who do it for a living, and the criteria for success and failure can be pretty vague - take John McGlynn for example: Success or failure? Based on his time with us, unequivocal success, then hearts and then Livi? Not so much. Macintyre, Got the Pars up, was in the process of taking them down. Sacked. Now making a go of it at Ross County, pulling them out of the shit.

And saw what? What exactly was it that Murray wasn't doing that he should have been doing to show 'ambition' or 'signs of moving forward' - at this point I'm not saying it's the wrong decision but I don't see what's so interesting about a bunch of generalized buzz words to describe why someone's failed. It's subjective and everyone can apply their own meanings to them but it doesn't fucking mean anything. I'd like our chairman to be able to articulate clearly exactly where and why Murray failed.

I sense that you're angry with the dismissal. Perhaps Young was thinking of Falkirk and Queen of the South when using words like ambition or signs of moving forward. Rovers are a mile away from them and have been for quite a considerable time. He also used another word that you didn't bother quoting - work.

Bold decision. The Board has basically said that anything other than the promotion play-offs is failure. I hope this doesn't result in a manager being sacked every May but it's setting a slightly dangerous precedent. Remember, we could be in a league with Hibs, The Rangers, St Mirren, Motherwell and Falkirk next season.

Thanks for the memories, Grant.

I'd say Jefferies being relegated twice in a row outweighs Murray's failings by a country mile. A bizarre comparison.

Indeed it really is a bizarre comparison to make Jefferies out to be worse than Murray:

Jefferies won the Scottish Cup, the challenge Cup, took Hearts to 3rd in the top flight, and far from 'two relegations' won the First Division (now the Championship) TWICE.

The first thing you need to learn about honest debate is objective treatment of facts. But if you think Jefferies is a worse manager than Murray then objectivity and fact are alien concepts to you.

I sense that you're angry with the dismissal. Perhaps Young was thinking of Falkirk and Queen of the South when using words like ambition or signs of moving forward. Rovers are a mile away from them and have been for quite a considerable time. He also used another word that you didn't bother quoting - work.

I'm not really. I never like to see a guy lose his job, fair enough and I do tend towards caution over taking gambles in my opinion of when to dismiss someone from a football management job. In this case I think Rovers are doing well but still in a fragile condition, and I'd hate to see us end up going massively backwards and sliding into relegation. That's pretty much it, the worst Murray was gonna do was have us marooned in obscurity if the last three years were anything to go by. We get the next appointment wrong and we could be well fucked (again I'm just massively scarred by both the 96-97 season and the 04-05 season). of course, it could turn out brilliantly as well, but as I say I tend to favour caution over this.

Still if he had to go, then he had to go. Buzzwords do annoy me though, and yes he mentioned 'work' but again, in what sense? Nothing particularly to do with Murray but vague terms that have lost all meaning just leave the whole thing opaque - you can take what Young has said and attach any meaning you like to it. As for Falkirk and Queens, well both have bigger budgets than us, Falkirk significantly so, and that's as much to do with recent history of the two clubs as the current or recently departed manager.

Indeed it really is a bizarre comparison to make Jefferies out to be worse than Murray:

Jefferies won the Scottish Cup, the challenge Cup, took Hearts to 3rd in the top flight, and far from 'two relegations' won the First Division (now the Championship) TWICE.

The first thing you need to learn about honest debate is objective treatment of facts. But if you think Jefferies is a worse manager than Murray then objectivity and fact are alien concepts to you.

Objectively though, his recent record would not make him favourite for the job.

Bold decision. The Board has basically said that anything other than the promotion play-offs is failure. I hope this doesn't result in a manager being sacked every May but it's setting a slightly dangerous precedent. Remember, we could be in a league with Hibs, The Rangers, St Mirren, Motherwell and Falkirk next season.

Thanks for the memories, Grant.

I dont think they are saying anything other then promotion playoffs is failure. They are saying finishing 18 points behind them is failure.

Jefferies is the managerial equivalent of a striker who scored a shed load when he was 25 and still lives off those glory days 10 years later when he can barely kick his own arse. It gets him a contract, but the delivery just isn't there. No thank you.

Dare I say Derek Adams is the best currently unattached candidate? The downside is that he is a w****r.

Jefferies is the managerial equivalent of a striker who scored a shed load when he was 25 and still lives off those glory days 10 years later when he can barely kick his own arse. It gets him a contract, but the delivery just isn't there. No thank you.

Dare I say Derek Adams is the best currently unattached candidate? The downside is that he is a w****r.

Well, we hated the last guy anyway - so what's to lose?

Id happily we had a w****r at the club. The nicey nicey management team didnt do too well.

Ive always thought what we lacked under Murray is a bit of...."streetwise". I'd love to see some of that with a new boss.

I agree a lot with what Renton is saying. Now that he's gone I'm actually now a bit fearful of where we go from here, especially given some of the names being suggested.

Maybe I've nothing to worry about but at the moment it's feel like the bloke who's just walked out on his marriage because he liked the thought of shagging the local barmaid. Fast forward 12 months and he could end up shacked up with the barmaid living happily ever after. But it is equally likely he'll be sitting alone in s bedsit with only Babestation for company thinking 'what the f**k have I done?'

Time will tell

Id happily we had a w****r at the club. The nicey nicey management team didnt do too well.

Ive always thought what we lacked under Murray is a bit of...."streetwise". I'd love to see some of that with a new boss.

In principle, no problem with that viewpoint.

My issue with Adams is that he is quite widely disliked amongst our support and it won't take much to have the knives out.

Our support are like a deranged bunny boiler at the best of times up and down on a weekly basis. so it won't matter too much who we appoint.

What I want is the best candidate for the job regardless of how much of a walk they are perceived to be. Of that's someone with ties to the club then great if not so what.

We're obviously going to have doubts and concerns - there are obvious pitfalls here. But the board were facing a new season starting with next to no goodwill and no optimism in the stands. Look at the end of the game on Saturday. Where could we go from there? We were unlikely to get relegated next season, but diminshing returns due to less and less interest and fan buy-in could have led to real trouble. Rot hasn't set in yet so this is an opportunity. The fans will have to buy in now though - this what we asked (booed)* for.

*I never booed the team, personally