The New Raith Rovers Thread

We're certainly not gearing up for a promotion push. I dont see the team being significantly strengthened from last season. While I dont see us being in relegation trouble there's nothing to stir expectation.

Now, while I wouldnt expect us to be ready for a promotion push the season after coming up from the Second, I would be expecting us to be developing the side for a promotion push next year, and that doesnt appear to be happening. Right now its like the club will be satisfied with an 'as we were' season.

Yes thats the worry.

We're certainly not gearing up for a promotion push. I dont see the team being significantly strengthened from last season. While I dont see us being in relegation trouble there's nothing to stir expectation.

Now, while I wouldnt expect us to be ready for a promotion push the season after coming up from the Second, I would be expecting us to be developing the side for a promotion push next year, and that doesnt appear to be happening. Right now its like the club will be satisfied with an 'as we were' season.

*Wake up Call*

To challenge in the top half of the league, would mean signing better, potentially more expensive players.

However the reality is that we are broke, we have no money, and no assets against which to borrow money. Untill the cup run last season, we were still being subsidised directly by a couple of directors.

Untill this situation changes, for the better, there will be no promotion push, there will be no fantasy return to the Premier or European football.

Whilst the past is important, we should look to the here and now, if we gamble we will be back with the begging bowls out.

I would rather we cut the debt and finnished 7th, than finnished top 5 and increased the debt.

*Wake up Call*

To challenge in the top half of the league, would mean signing better, potentially more expensive players.

However the reality is that we are broke, we have no money, and no assets against which to borrow money. Untill the cup run last season, we were still being subsidised directly by a couple of directors.

Untill this situation changes, for the better, there will be no promotion push, there will be no fantasy return to the Premier or European football.

Whilst the past is important, we should look to the here and now, if we gamble we will be back with the begging bowls out.

I would rather we cut the debt and finnished 7th, than finnished top 5 and increased the debt.

i dont think anyone is suggesting that

i think the concern (that i have anyway) is that we havent really built on the squad we had last season its just been direct replacement, we need more competition for places and depth and i dont think the quality of player we have brought is much better than those we had

Never mind Partick, I hope it works out for him down south.

Aye. Taking the selfish hat off for a bit, as much as I'd like Smith to be back at Starks Park, it'd be good to see him doing well down south.

Right now its like the club will be satisfied with an 'as we were' season.

Also called 'consolidation'.

If we'd been told at the beginning of last season that we would be in the first next season trying to consolidate, we'd have taken that in a heartbeat.

*tries to stay positive*

1) Yes

2) Depends on Smiths priorities.

I think it would be a great signing for the Jags if we could get Kevin Smith. Do you mind me asking why you think though mate he would choose Thistle over Raith?

presume both clubs pay the same wages, if he lives in Kirkcaldy already then what made you think he might be tempted to go to Firhill?

Dont get me wrong I would be pleased if he did.

I think it would be a great signing for the Jags if we could get Kevin Smith. Do you mind me asking why you think though mate he would choose Thistle over Raith?

presume both clubs pay the same wages, if he lives in Kirkcaldy already then what made you think he might be tempted to go to Firhill?

He doesn't live in Kirkcaldy, although I assume he lives on the east coast anyway.

I also seriously doubt we'd be able to match Thistle for wages.

he doesnt stay in Kirkcaldy, think he is edinburgh (i could be wrong tho)

i dont think anyone is suggesting that

i think the concern (that i have anyway) is that we havent really built on the squad we had last season its just been direct replacement, we need more competition for places and depth and i dont think the quality of player we have brought is much better than those we had

I am concerned about the squad size, but we have to live within our means.

IMHO directors shouldn't be putting their hands into their pockets to bail the club out.

I am concerned about the squad size, but we have to live within our means.

IMHO directors shouldn't be putting their hands into their pockets to bail the club out.

yeah i realise that but we should be looking to build on last season, i know the money isnt there to bring in big name players but we still need bodies in, if we are planning to use some of the youngsters this season then thats ok but just dont want the same cirus of a different loan player coming in every month

"Right now its like the club will be satisfied with an 'as we were' season."

Also called 'consolidation'.

If we'd been told at the beginning of last season that we would be in the first next season trying to consolidate, we'd have taken that in a heartbeat.

Trying not to nit pick, but 'consolidation' means to strengthen ones gains, not merely rest on them. Last season we started off really well, and fell away after the second half of the season, mainly due to injuries and suspensions. But that's the point, we havent strengthened the team, either in terms of players or depth of pool.

I would be expecting us to be developing the side for a promotion push next year, and that doesnt appear to be happening. Right now its like the club will be satisfied with an 'as we were' season.

Really?! Lets just try and get the bloody debt paid off before we think about punching above our weight. Rovers are the size of a mid table-to low end First Division team and until we have any money that's the best we could probably do. We can't afford to have a 'promotion push'.

Whilst talk of a promotion push is premature, I can see where some are coming from.

I don't think we're any better than we were last season. Ok, we've brought in a striker who should actually be capable of getting himself into double figures, but that's it. We've lost two good left midfielders in Johnny Russell (back to DU) and Darren Smith, replacing them with Scott McBride, a player who is untried at this level. Similarly, we've brought in Willie Dyer who is also untried. Both these two may prove good players, or they may struggle.

What is undeniable, is that people want to see the club move forward, even despite any financial restrictions that may be in place. People generally don't want to settle for mediocrity; you could excuse it last season as we wanted to keep ourselves up, but you would expect most people wanting to see us move forward a bit this season, maybe getting ourselves up to 5th/6th.

It's also easy enough to see why some aren't best pleased. The single largest glaring flaw in our team - being light up front - still remains. Whilst I think we will get someone in on loan, we really shouldn't be looking to rely upon loan signings.

O'Carroll would be a handy signing, don't think JM would have taken him along today to view the scenery.

A dozen goals from him and the same from Baird would do nicely for the coming seasonbiggrin.gif

42 games in the first division and he's only scored 6 goals...

:unsure:

42 games in the first division and he's only scored 6 goals...

:unsure:

A goal every 7 games.

Forgive me for being less than impressed should we sign O'Carroll. His record is poor, and we'd be starting the season with the strikeforce of a team which got relegated!

Positive slant: Better than Graeme Weir!

Edited by Michael W

Really?! Lets just try and get the bloody debt paid off before we think about punching above our weight. Rovers are the size of a mid table-to low end First Division team and until we have any money that's the best we could probably do. We can't afford to have a 'promotion push'.

Aye, Really.

So you dont think that we should have a team that can mount a challenge in the First division in our third season? You think the height of the clubs ambition is mid table in First Division?

Tell us, if debts the reason, how many clubs are there in the First Division and the SPL that arent in debt?

Aye, Really.

So you dont think that we should have a team that can mount a challenge in the First division in our third season? You think the height of the clubs ambition is mid table in First Division?

No I don't. Considering we have nowhere near the same budget as Falkirk, Dundee, Dunfermline, the newly relegated team that joins us next season and probably others. I don't see how we can realistically expect to challenge for promotion. You're living in cuckoo land. I'm sure the club have an ambition of reaching the SPL but I'm also pretty sure they don't want to undo all the good work that seems to have been done so far by overspending and then asking the fans to bring the begging buckets back out.

Nothing wrong with ambition, but there's also nothing wrong with steady and simple progress. Lets just make sure our club still exists in ten years time.