The New Raith Rovers Thread

But it's still the tournament proper. It's a qualifier for the group stage, which is a progression of the same tournament. Qualifying for the actual tournament is sorted by league positions.

For instance Celtic qualified for the Champions League by finishing in first place in the Scottish Premiership. They'll be knocked out of the Champions League during the qualifying round if they lose to Malmo when they play in Sweden. There's a massive difference.

If they get knocked out in the qualifying round then they won't have made the champions league. Same as the amateur teams that start trying to qualify for the Scottish cup, they can't say they've made it until they reach round one.

Except for those games he played, in the champions league. Which really are Champions League games.

If they are Champions League games, why won't UEFA let them play the Champions League into music when the teams come out?

Romanian Golden Boot Winner, signed for half a million pounds for a club that reaches the CL every five years or so - he's pish.

Lee Bryce - get him oan McGlynn.

Football fans are great.

On the other hand.

Some of our fans - Get Vaughan on.

Some of our fans - if he was good enough the manager would pick him.

Even though it was glaringly obvious that this youngster actually had ability, in stark contrast to Bryce.

As for Tade, he's one of the main reasons we challenged for the league that season. The season after he left we were nearly relegated and we've been bottom half of the league ever since.

Edited by Scary Bear

I'd probably have been entitled to give Tade the benefit of the doubt, however.

The UEFA rule book says that the tournament consists of three phases. The qualifying stages, the play-offs, and the UEFA Champions League.

The way it's worded would suggest that they don't quite regard the introductory knock-out stages as part of the shin-dig.

If they get knocked out in the qualifying round then they won't have made the champions league. Same as the amateur teams that start trying to qualify for the Scottish cup, they can't say they've made it until they reach round one.

In the same way that World Cup qualifiers don't count as playing in the World Cup.

Back to the actual point of the discussion though I'd have Tade' back in a heartbeat......never happen though.

Considering we only scored one goal less the season after we challenged for the title it would suggest our problems came at the other end of the park

I'd disagree with that suggestion. Tade was never prolific. However, he did bully opposition defences.

From what I said on FT.

I took in about an hour of the U20 game against the Pars at Auchmuty last night.

I left having seen the 3 goals with about 25 mins to go and by that time Costa who is a big sturdy lad had bagged two, his 1st was a flashing drive from the RH edge of the box into the bottom LH corner and the second was a tap in after he was able to get on the end of a cutback around the penalty spot.
Vukanovic got the other, the 1st goal of the night after he bustled past the defenders to get to the keepers parry after Costa (I think) had struck a shot from the edge of the box.
Both players looked quite good and looked like they would do a job for us even if they don't make the impact that Didier Agathe did when he arrived (though to be fair a hat-trick on your debut is a tough act to follow).
Costa looks like a bigger version of Stewart and he puts himself about, he was bouncing the young Pars (and John Potter) about and did well to get his goals.
Vukanovic is not quite as big as Costa but he he is a good size, he did well in general and especially to force his way past the defenders to get the ball into the net for his goal. Both these guys have a good first touch and got the ball in the net albeit against younger opponents.
Onur Yildiz (the French Turk) played also and skill wise was more highly rated by the scout I was talking to but he tended to get caught in possession a lot and being of slighter build may not be suited to being an out and out front man.
Apparently there was supposed to be a 4th trialist, but the guy who is Spanish were offered a contract by Montrose in the afternoon on the condition that de didn't play tonight and he took the bait. According to the scout (again) the boy is way too good for Montrose's level and should have taken his chances.

Even if Tade would come back to Scotland which is near enough 100% not going to happen, but if he did, it would be to a top half SPL side.. It won't be to Kirkcaldy..

Costa though eh?

Hopefully we sign one of them today in time for tomorrows game..

Mate, I don't think anyone seriously sees Tade making a return.

Are either of these 2 suited to the Vaughan role as his partnership with stewart was really getting results and worked for the team. If we could try and create a similar thing it would give us another option. I think the injuries stacking up have sort of ruined any momentum with systems etc.

Are either of these 2 suited to the Vaughan role as his partnership with stewart was really getting results and worked for the team. If we could try and create a similar thing it would give us another option. I think the injuries stacking up have sort of ruined any momentum with systems etc.

I'd say both are a different type of player to Vaughan, although both (and especially Vukavic) looked happy enough to drive at opponents. Ironically I think Vaughan would thrive if playing alongside Costa.

They're both young (though Costa really doesn't look it) and quite green but there's no doubt that there is raw potential there, the thing is are they good enough now? As I think we need something to make an immediate impact.

I'd still like to see Chris Kane come on loan from St J.

Calm the ham. If ever a player was remembered with rose tinted specs then it's Tade.

He was a cult hero as most of us looked at him and thought if that guy can be a professional footballer then so can I! He was strong and fast but an absolute haddie of a player!

Tade is better than Mark Stewart - Discuss....

On that very note, get these 2 trialists signed - they can't be any worse than what we have just now, which is nothing. Having both these guys (plus Wighton) will allow Mark Stewart to take up his best position - on the bench.