The New Raith Rovers Thread

So... who's playing in defence on Saturday? Toshney at right back, Davidson and Bates at CB?

Not too disheartened to go out the Petrofac but a concerning result. Will be forgotten about if we win on Saturday though.

Said in Stennie thread and say here, I suppose the upside is we get to see if McKinnon is capable of getting the players to bounce back after rubbish like that ... Murray was murder at it, hope they all get a swift kick up the rim and sent out to do the job on Sat !

Said in Stennie thread and say here, I suppose the upside is we get to see if McKinnon is capable of getting the players to bounce back after rubbish like that ... Murray was murder at it, hope they all get a swift kick up the rim and sent out to do the job on Sat !

Yeah well, 5 guarenteed starters out, 6 if you include Vaughan. Two guys making their first starts of the season, Matthews and Davidson, one of whom hasn't really had a pre season. Squad just isn't good enough to cycle through that many players at once. Tried it against East Fife and came up short then as well.

Definitely light up front. Wighton is intelligent, has a a good touch and picks a decent pass but so far he isn't taking the game by the scruff of the neck like Vaughan would.

Edited by renton

Yeah well, 5 guarenteed starters out, 6 if you include Vaughan. Two guys making their first starts of the season, Matthews and Davidson, one of whom hasn't really had a pre season. Squad just isn't good enough to cycle through that many players at once. Tried it against East Fife and came up short then as well.

Definitely light up front. Wighton is intelligent, has a a good touch and picks a decent pass but so far he isn't taking the game by the scruff of the neck like Vaughan would.

Theres a reasonable tendancy to think it should be though, the guys out there tonight should have had enough about them to trouble Stenny far more than they did.

In my earnest opinion even if Toshney and McKeown had played I'd doubt we would have won unless it was on penalties after 0-0. Midfield was a horror show and there was next to nothing up top.

Theres a reasonable tendancy to think it should be though, the guys out there tonight should have had enough about them to trouble Stenny far more than they did.

In my earnest opinion even if Toshney and McKeown had played I'd doubt we would have won unless it was on penalties after 0-0. Midfield was a horror show and there was next to nothing up top.

Looking at that midfield though, you are missing Callachan who does a bucketful of running, even when he's not playing well he causes problems for teams by pushing beyond the striker or by closing down their attackers.

We were also missing Craigen who is a great outball, tidy on the ball, creative and willing to push forward with it.

What we went with was Matthews, a potentially decent holding midfielder, but one for the future, Davo a defensive midfielder with experience but seriously lacking match sharpness and McCord who's talent is in spreading the ball about but who maybe isn't the most mobile.

I get what your saying but think the balance of that team was all wrong. No willing runners in midfield, light up front and no pace from left back.

We are definitely short up front, I think Wighton has a lot going for him but doesn't tend to really own the game the way Vaughan would. Megginson needed a start after two 15 min cameos as well.

McKinnon will be raging at the level of performance on show but I'm not totally surprised that happened, if it gave Toshney a rest, if it got Davo and Megginson some game time then good. The team he put out was not a well balanced team though.

Watched McKinnon's post match interview and he sounded more annoyed at the Livi performance (that we won) than last night. Think he himself knows last night was a chance to change things and see how a few non regulars got on and he's realised it didn't work or that certain players aren't up to scratch just yet.

With Rangers around, there is the potential for a big payday from this competition. With that in mind, to lose to opposition we should be beating is poor regardless of what anyone feels about the cup - a distraction etc.

McKinnon made the right call in giving some other players a chance, and they let him down. Again, very poor when they should be fighting for a place in the starting 11.

It is a diddy competition ultimately, I'd trade a cup final in that competition for 4th in the league and at least one play off tie every time. If it's helped some players get match fit for the upcoming league games, then good. A good performance and win on Saturday and this will result will be forgotten.