The New Raith Rovers Thread

I don't know if it'll impact us in terms of missing a game or two, but that's Craig Wighton back in the Scotland U19s squad.

Has anyone mentioned that we could do with another striker?

Just the one?

I don't know if it'll impact us in terms of missing a game or two, but that's Craig Wighton back in the Scotland U19s squad.

Has anyone mentioned that we could do with another striker?

He'll likely miss the Rangers match then.

I think McKinnon knows we need a striker. You don't lose your best attacker, when having other strikers on trial, and not think that. I have trust that he'll find the right one. Better waiting a few weeks to get the right guy in than just bringing in someone for the sake of it and wasting a wage.

Looking at that midfield though, you are missing Callachan who does a bucketful of running, even when he's not playing well he causes problems for teams by pushing beyond the striker or by closing down their attackers.

We were also missing Craigen who is a great outball, tidy on the ball, creative and willing to push forward with it.

What we went with was Matthews, a potentially decent holding midfielder, but one for the future, Davo a defensive midfielder with experience but seriously lacking match sharpness and McCord who's talent is in spreading the ball about but who maybe isn't the most mobile.

I get what your saying but think the balance of that team was all wrong. No willing runners in midfield, light up front and no pace from left back.

We are definitely short up front, I think Wighton has a lot going for him but doesn't tend to really own the game the way Vaughan would. Megginson needed a start after two 15 min cameos as well.

McKinnon will be raging at the level of performance on show but I'm not totally surprised that happened, if it gave Toshney a rest, if it got Davo and Megginson some game time then good. The team he put out was not a well balanced team though.

I don't know if it a question of balance, I think in both of the last 2 games our midfield unit has looked plain lost.

Callachan does do some good running but he hasn't played well in the last 4 games, maybe he needs a rest or maybe he can't play the role McKinnon requires of him.

Craigen is as you said a tidy player but again it's as if he too doesn't know where he's meant to be and what his role is at times.

McCord can and probably will turn out to be a very good player for us but he's very in and out of games.

Anderson is just all over the place at present and not in an impressive way.

Petrie might do better in midfield as he was poor last night at LB

Davo was fairly honking last night, yes there were a couple of great 30 yard passes but the trade mark 5-10 yard pass between 2 Raith guys straight to an opponent is still there, how he escaped not picking up a yellow card is beyond me as his hot headedness is still a big feature.

The only one I give pass marks to is young Matthews who looked steady and had some good passes, particularly the diagonal to Megginson that he then shot straight at the keeper. For me, Bates was our only other performer on the night.

Maybe as I've suggested elsewhere, our midfield would look better if it had something more substantial and better to play behind and feed the ball through to. Quite often they do well and play it through only for it to be back in their face moments later after a forward is dispossessed. Wighton may be one for the future but perhaps not in the championship just now and especially in the role we need him in at present. We may actually be doing the lad more harm than good!

What happened to the short passing game and wee triangles of one touch passes we saw flashes of a few weeks ago?

I don't know if it a question of balance, I think in both of the last 2 games our midfield unit has looked plain lost.

Callachan does do some good running but he hasn't played well in the last 4 games, maybe he needs a rest or maybe he can't play the role McKinnon requires of him.

Craigen is as you said a tidy player but again it's as if he too doesn't know where he's meant to be and what his role is at times.

McCord can and probably will turn out to be a very good player for us but he's very in and out of games.

Anderson is just all over the place at present and not in an impressive way.

Petrie might do better in midfield as he was poor last night at LB

Davo was fairly honking last night, yes there were a couple of great 30 yard passes but the trade mark 5-10 yard pass between 2 Raith guys straight to an opponent is still there, how he escaped not picking up a yellow card is beyond me as his hot headedness is still a big feature.

The only one I give pass marks to is young Matthews who looked steady and had some good passes, particularly the diagonal to Megginson that he then shot straight at the keeper. For me, Bates was our only other performer on the night.

Maybe as I've suggested elsewhere, our midfield would look better if it had something more substantial and better to play behind and feed the ball through to. Quite often they do well and play it through only for it to be back in their face moments later after a forward is dispossessed. Wighton may be one for the future but perhaps not in the championship just now and especially in the role we need him in at present. We may actually be doing the lad more harm than good!

What happened to the short passing game and wee triangles of one touch passes we saw flashes of a few weeks ago?

As I wrote on fantalk, it's hard to judge given the big differences in personnel and shape over the last two games, I do reckon that a midfield of matthews, McCord and Davidson are going to be playing with the game in front of them a lot, aren't going to try and drive the ball forward and would probably be a a bit flat - mcCord needs guys moving into space in front of him to play the ball to, or what's the point - he'll happily knock the ball into all kinds of spaces from all kinds of range but it requires willing runners and recipients.

Callachan I don't think has been all that bad, Anderson was fine againt Livi but had a mare against Falkirk. Davidson just isn't that fit yeat and will always be Davo - you aren't gonna stop his holywood 40 yard diagonals now.

As to what happened to the short passing game, well, we lost Vaughan and so lost the focal point for the midfield to play into, in the two league games we've been up against Falkirk who have always had a decent midfield and Livi who lacked quality but had plenty of industry and pressed us well, when we got the extra man in there second half, we really started to dominate.

Wighton as you say is oone for the future, the talent is there but he doesn't demand the ball, or take control of the play the way Vaughan on his day will - might just be confidence.

For me the big thing is getting Craigen into a more central role, it's not that he's wasted out wide - by which I mean ineffectual - he contributes plenty but would be better in the middle, he's happy to take the ball and drive and is a good ball player, with vaughan out we might not want to try and play with a recessed striker a la Vaughan but play Craigen in an advanced midfield role and get the strikers feeding off of that, maybe a diamond midfield with him at the top? It means Anderson would probably drop out the team but that's maybe for the best at the minute.