The New Raith Rovers Thread

I think I've said this before, but if players can't take Critism from the stands then they shouldn't really be playing professional football.

There had been arguments in the past about people in other workplaces and imagining how they would feel being shouted at for being shite etc, but it's not really a valid argument in my opinion as being a sportsman is quite a unique occupation that maybe unfortunately comes with these factors.

While those things might be true, insofar as we know there are going to be people who do it - it does not represent any kind of argument for actually doing it.

It's stupid, it's shit, it makes the ground a worse place to be for everyone, it's nearly always totally uninformed. And it's counter-productive.

While those things might be true, insofar as we know there are going to be people who do it - it does not represent any kind of argument for actually doing it.

It's stupid, it's shit, it makes the ground a worse place to be for everyone, it's nearly always totally uninformed. And it's counter-productive.

Well not as such. But..it happens in football and it always will happen. It's part and parcel of the game unfortunately. Players know what they are getting themselves into though. Doesn't make it right..but it happens. And I admit to doing it on occasion.

Does it make me a bad fan? Some may say yes? But I've followed the team for over 20 years, will I follow for another 20? You can bet on it. Even if we some how ended up in the League 2..

Everyone will have differing opinions and Football will always be about that.

I think a lot of our supporters are quick to get on the team's back because they were used to a wee bit of success a good while ago and think that should be the norm rather than a very rare exception.

This rubs off on the younger ones unfortunately and they tend to follow suit.

The sooner the majority of our supporters become realistic about the Rovers being a mid-table Championship side with the occasional tilt at the league title or a wee cup run now and again, the better.

The flip side to that is when you get into that mindset of accepting complete and utter mediocrity, the next step is becoming an Airdrie or Ayr United. There's no reason we can't look to become a Hamilton Accies or St Johnstone instead.

If we have no ambition, then very few people will part with £18 to support mediocrity. Over the years this will affect the business as the support will decline and the only way to counter this will be to put up admission fees, which probably won't help in attracting supporters.

We were either in the Premier League or challenging for the First Division title for most of the '90s. That's where this generation of supporters came from. If it wasn't for that period, would we still be drawing 1200-1400 per game?

Well not as such. But..it happens in football and it always will happen. It's part and parcel of the game unfortunately. Players know what they are getting themselves into though. Doesn't make it right..but it happens. And I admit to doing it on occasion.

Does it make me a bad fan? Some may say yes? But I've followed the team for over 20 years, will I follow for another 20? You can bet on it. Even if we some how ended up in the League 2..

Everyone will have differing opinions and Football will always be about that.

I thought it was about kicking a ball about a park with the aim of scoring goals?

Of course, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but let's not pretend those opinions are worth f**k all: Not all opinions are of the same relative, qualitative worth and lots are irrelevent, stupid or unable to make sense of the action on the pitch - I include myself in that, no doubt we all talk pish at one point or another. The fucking cliche machines round me do my head in: They can't decide in the space of two minutes whether they want to 'keep it tight' 'fight for it' 'keep it on the fucking deck' or 'get the ball up the fucking park' interspersed with a cry of 'get the subs on [insert manager here]' around the 30 minute mark.

I'm pretty sure most folk could find ways ot support the team noisily, while grounding their frustrations to the point that their outlet wasn't to scream at players as to how they are the worst player they've ever seen (since last week, when it was someone else who won that title)

Edited by renton

Football is an emotive game. Its not like any other business. Im a customer of Asda, but I dont sprint down the bread aisle when my seeded batch loaf is on offer, as much as this does excite me, driving past Tesco and Sainsburys on the way home giving the GIRUY to them.

There is a line though. Getting frustrated is the nature of the game. Its when the shouts turn personal into abuse that it gets too far.

I agree. I don't see the logic of targeting our own players for abuse. It makes little sense.

It would be nice to get some regular positive atmosphere in terms of chants and singing back at Starks.

As someone's signature once noted 'even the trains don't toot anymore'.

It's simply down to the attendance. It's not a case of not being ambitious. We don't have a big enough fan base to justify bringing in players of a "better" quality. We went down that route before and it nearly ruined us. We are a middle of the road championship outfit. We have to be pragmatic about it.

It's simply down to the attendance. It's not a case of not being ambitious. We don't have a big enough fan base to justify bringing in players of a "better" quality. We went down that route before and it nearly ruined us. We are a middle of the road championship outfit. We have to be pragmatic about it.

I disagree.... Look at the likes of Ross county, Inverness and Hamilton.... They don't have a huge fan base but that doesn't stop them reaching the top flight

Well we all know that Hamilton basically benefitted massively by selling McCarthy and McCarthur. Two players who are regularly playing the the Premier League in England. We have never had a player been as good as that. Well in recent seasons anyway, Cameron obviously played in the top flight for Wolves.

Ross County and Inverness have had wealthy backers in the past. I'd say Inverness are the biggest of the the three you mention. But even Ross County have developed themselves in the last few seasons as well.

Will be interesting to see in the next few seasons who will come down from the top flight. Dundee United look certainties for this season. If Hibs and The Rangers go up, then of course your possibly looking at Kilmarnock, Hamilton etc to maybe come down as well.

Next season will be extremely tough again whatever happens. Potentially losing Alloa, or Livingston and replacing them with Dunfermline and possibly Ayr will make next seasons Championship even more, shall we say demanding for us to push into that bracket of Top four side with a chance at the title. Or depending on how it goes see us scrapping out relegation.

I think most of us have accepted that we are middle of the road Championship level now anyway. We have been in the division since 2008/09 which is quite a while. In that time least we have won a trophy and competed once for the title. If it was the season after, we could have been promoted by default like Dundee but we were in the wrong place at the wrong time sadly.

The only way I can see us getting within a chance of promotion again is either by pure luck or someone investing quite a lot of money into the club. Sadly the latter looks unlikely, so we'll just have to rely on some luck! :lol: Maybe it's about bloody time we had some!

Edited by Wardy

I have to say the decision to release Megginson and bring in Longridge baffles me. Can anyone honestly say we've kept the better player?

I'd far rather have kept Megginson, left Longridge at Hamilton, and brought in a proper striker on loan.

I'd rather have kept Megginson as well. It's early days but Longridge doesn't seem to bring that much to the party. Add in the fact that we have used our one over age loan signing on him and it makes no sense really.

I think most of us have accepted that we are middle of the road Championship level now anyway. We have been in the division since 2008/09 which is quite a while. In that time least we have won a trophy and competed once for the title. If it was the season after, we could have been promoted by default like Dundee but we were in the wrong place at the wrong time sadly.

We got promoted in 08/09 so it was 09/10 that we started in the league. We're now in our 7th consecutive season and the only team since 09/10 who have stayed in the league. Add in that we've had 3 7th place and 2 6th place finishes out of the 6 previous seasons and you can't argue that we're a middle of the road team.

That's not to say though that we shouldn't be ambitious and certainly if we don't finish 4th this season I would guess we'll all be disappointed.

The frustration comes from seeing other clubs, rightly or wrongly deemed historically smaller, who have had similar attendances to us in the past now being long-standing Premier League clubs.

Megginson changed the game away to Alloa and I was really excited to see how he would do.....didnt happen for him at all really.

He obviously wants regular football so fair play to him. If he is the sacrificial lamb that means we will get a quality striker in then can't say I'll be too upset by this.

We got promoted in 08/09 so it was 09/10 that we started in the league. We're now in our 7th consecutive season and the only team since 09/10 who have stayed in the league. Add in that we've had 3 7th place and 2 6th place finishes out of the 6 previous seasons and you can't argue that we're a middle of the road team.

That's not to say though that we shouldn't be ambitious and certainly if we don't finish 4th this season I would guess we'll all be disappointed.

The frustration comes from seeing other clubs, rightly or wrongly deemed historically smaller, who have had similar attendances to us in the past now being long-standing Premier League clubs.

These clubs havent really had to go through what we did in the 90's/early 00's though did they? And they either benefit from wealthy backers (County) or exceptional sales of talented players (Hamilton)

The flip side is that Falkirk have been in this league almost as long as us whilst achieving very little also - a team whose resources and attendances outweigh ours. Also we've really done no worse than the "similar" sized teams of Queens, Morton and you could argue Livi.

Also remember where we were 10 years ago and where these other clubs were. Im pretty happy with what we have done tbh.

As for Mckinnon - he's making progress. He hasnt completely transformed the entire club - but he also has only been here 6 months or so. Whilst our overall style of play and goals for tally is pretty similar, he has sorted out a leaky defence to quite a solid unit.

Added to that he has completely turned round the fortunes of Cuthbert and Mckinnon (although he had shown some sings of improvement)

He's already building for next season and we have some talented youths in the squad who he is keen to give the chance to - lets just see how we get on with him.

Edited by CALDERON

These clubs havent really had to go through what we did in the 90's/early 00's though did they? And they either benefit from wealthy backers (County) or exceptional sales of talented players (Hamilton)

The flip side is that Falkirk have been in this league almost as long as us whilst achieving very little also - a team whose resources and attendances outweigh ours. Also we've really done no worse than the "similar" sized teams of Queens, Morton and you could argue Livi.

Also remember where we were 10 years ago and where these other clubs were. Im pretty happy with what we have done tbh.

You'll get nowhere on here with your common sense and logic. Agree wholeheartedly.