The New Raith Rovers Thread

I saw Eric's comments earlier and was totally baffled that he was speaking about next season in the Championship. Does he have so little faith in the squad that he doesn't believe there's even a chance the Rovers will be in the Premiership next year? Obviously it's more likely they won't go up but a very defeatist attitude to give up before a ball's been kicked in the play-offs.

Also, have the Flyers just started playing ice hockey in Kirkcaldy? I could have sworn they'd been there for decades and haven't hurt crowds at Starks as much as they are now.

At great risk of repeating myself.

Kirkcaldy, supporting two successful sports teams for 78 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fife_Flyers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunfermline_Vikings

I saw Eric's comments earlier and was totally baffled that he was speaking about next season in the Championship. Does he have so little faith in the squad that he doesn't believe there's even a chance the Rovers will be in the Premiership next year? Obviously it's more likely they won't go up but a very defeatist attitude to give up before a ball's been kicked in the play-offs.

Also, have the Flyers just started playing ice hockey in Kirkcaldy? I could have sworn they'd been there for decades and haven't hurt crowds at Starks as much as they are now.

The Flyers refused to take any part in the Elite League, as I believe all clubs were forced to play a certain amount of imports. As a result, they were in a Scottish (maybe Northern) League, which was of far inferior quality, and their crowds dropped to a few hundred.

Their resurgence in the Elite League has seen a clear drop in Raith attendances, coupled with Rovers stagnating to a degree.

Edited to add: Anyone with a close affinity to the Flyers might have a better knowledge on all that.

Edited by McGuigan1978

On next the subject of next season I'd like to see the option of being able to buy matches in blocks like they did with the Christmas offer (pick 4 from 6 games for £50). It certainly worked for me as I went to 4 games that I might not have bothered with.

There's always been a bit of a pendulum effect between Rovers and the Flyers, depending on who was most successful at the time. As Yoss points out, the collapse of the Northern League left the Flyers playing in the Scottish National League, where they were humping a bunch of amateurs week in, week out. Crowds dropped massively at that point. Admittance to the Elite league boosted their crowds by a factor of 10, and coincided with a few years of the Rovers not really progressing (we've been up in the 2nd tier now since 2009, in those years we've finished 7th, 2nd, 7th, 6th, 7th, 6th).

Raith being investigated by the SPFL reason being the breaking of transfer rules and playing unregistered player possible 15 point deduction.

:lol:

Never pegged you down as someone with a sense of humour SUPERSOUTH so fair play..

Even if this was on a different day, and was infact true, we'd still finish above you with a couple of games to spare :lol:

Edited by Rovers1992/1993

As much as I appreciate the reply, dont think that kind of angry post is very befitting of a CEO to be honest.

There arent many businesses where a high level member of the board will publicly and personally argue with their own customers.  Its not great PR.

As much as I appreciate the reply, dont think that kind of angry post is very befitting of a CEO to be honest.

There arent many businesses where a high level member of the board will publicly and personally argue with their own customers. Its not great PR.

I completely disagree. I think it's excellent that Eric is happy to have discussions with the fans on here and on Fantalk.

I do understand that some people can be turned off by reading a story pointing out that levels of support are disappointing, but I maintain that - in the interests of transparency / openness - it would be wrong only to give out good news stories.

As has been said, I have focused considerable efforts on improving social media communication (which is why I'm writing this) and it's good that people are noticing the improvement. And you're right, on Twitter we get far more views / retweets / likes for positive / informative football related stories than we do about things like ticket sales / financial info etc...but I maintain that I can't be selective AND transparent at the same time. Also, Ali More and his team are working hard to improve the match day experience and attract the next generation of supporters.

Bottom line is that many of these positive football developments...in particular the signings of Robertson,, Longridge, Connolly, Panayiotou and Hardie have only been possible as a result of external funding of these over budget commitments, and that's not a permanently sustainable financial model. So if we don't see fans returning, there are undesirable consequences looking forward. We do not have the luxury of time to await a trickle of returning supporters becoming a flowing stream as the assembly of next season's squad is already well under way.

Season tickets will go on sale during April - and there will be an increased range of tickets on offer together with an option to spread payments rather than have to fork out a lump sum. If the uptake is strong, that gives us the best chance to support the gaffer to maintain / build on this season's progress.

So, you'll appreciate that we just can't afford to wait and hope for supporters to drift back. We need to force the pace now, while our stock is on the rise, if we are to continue onwards and upwards.

Anyway, we are all on the same side and I hope that, together, we really can maintain this momentum. ⚽⚽

I suspect there are very few clubs who can sign players/survive without external funding of some sort

Can you try and get the pricing correct before announcing the prices unlike last season

This

There arent many businesses where a high level member of the board will publicly and personally argue with their own customers.  Its not great PR.

And this

I completely disagree. I think it's excellent that Eric is happy to have discussions with the fans on here and on Fantalk.

Discussions yes, but not coming out and putting angry emoticons in reference to a fans post.  RATM is one of the decent guys on here and can take the debate/discussion element from that and reply accordingly, but not everyone would.

Would you rather Eric didn't interact with us, or is it just that you don't want to hear any bad news?

Would you rather we had a CEO that wasn't that bothered about the Rovers?

The chances of us getting through 6 games against better opposition is slim. Chances are we will be in the Championship next season. If the Board are having to budget for 1300-1400 home fans attending then things will get tricky. Best to let us know.

Well I have quite clearly said that I welcome discussions.  Personally I think it could have been done in a less confrontational way.

So we just give up on the playoffs?  Would certainly free up some birthday party time.

Discussions yes, but not coming out and putting angry emoticons in reference to a fans post. RATM is one of the decent guys on here and can take the debate/discussion element from that and reply accordingly, but not everyone would.

Using one grumpy face emoticon is hardly the end of the world.

As for the stuff about not befitting a CEO, he's the CEO of the Rovers. We are not some multi-national company, we are a small local football club.

He's probably concerned about where Rovers are going. If the fanbase stays around the 1200-1300 mark then that future may not look too rosy.

Would fans prefer to go back to being kept in the dark about the club? Or do they only want to see happy clappy communications?

Well I have quite clearly said that I welcome discussions. Personally I think it could have been done in a less confrontational way.

So we just give up on the playoffs? Would certainly free up some birthday party time.

People play the lottery and put 7 line coupons on. Doesn't mean they win.

People call each other all sorts on here. It wasn't particularly confrontational.

There was a confrontational tone all through the post, which doesent really give much engagement for discussion.

Nobody wants fans "kept in the dark".  But there is a difference between being informative, and being confrontational.  I think Eric was more towards the latter.

Im not speaking about his article btw - I entirely share his frustrations.  Its the fact he came on here and had a go at a fan (and customer) who just didnt agree with him that bothered me.

People play the lottery and put 7 line coupons on. Doesn't mean they win.

People call each other all sorts on here. It wasn't particularly confrontational.

Considering we are all probably part of the dwindling core support that the club cant afford to lose, to me it was.

I dont work for a huge global corporation, but if i spoke to my customers like that - I'd be sacked.

Considering we are all probably part of the dwindling core support that the club cant afford to lose, to me it was.

I dont work for a huge global corporation, but if i spoke to my customers like that - I'd be sacked.

You'd be sacked for having a slight disagreement with a customer? That just sounds like one of those stupid cliches that you hear on a radio phone-in. Where do you work? Their HR Policy must be positively Victorian.

Anyway, this is all very confrontational, so let's stop it. There'll be swearing next. I just know it.

Edited by Scary Bear

The CEO needs to plan for the worst case scenario or otherwise he would not be doing his job right. Him stating about championship football next season is because all the budgets will be based around that therefore he is just being sensible.

I think we will have a better idea after tomorrow whether we have the capabilities of going up through the playoffs as Rangers this season have drew against killie already who if we manage to get past hibs and Falkirk then they are the team we will more than likely face. I'm optimistic about our chances as we have a better team now than we did when we beat Hamilton earlier in the season but tomorrow will give us an indication of how the playoffs will go.

The club as a whole has done fantastically well this season and I think the position which we sit in is all down to the club being managed very well.

You'd be sacked for having a slight disagreement with a customer? That just sounds like one of those stupid cliches that you hear on a radio phone-in. Where do you work? Their HR Policy must be positively Victorian.

Anyway, this is all very confrontational, so let's stop it. There'll be swearing next. I just know it.

f**k!