The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just seems like a suitable ending to our season horriblus. Manager coaches a winning team out of form, buys numpties, sells and gives away talent, takes us from promotion playoffs to relegation playoffs, new temp manager comes in, plays a striker in goals, then shoots off to another job with indecent haste, leaving the boys from A1 carwash to manage the team through to the fateful Ayr Utd match.

Is there some weird scenario with Hughes' deal at Rovers that would mean we wouldn't need to ask permission to speak to him? If not I'd have thought it'd have been reported one way or another that we'd asked to speak to your current manager tbh. Was quite surprised to find out that, according to an Evening Times report, he'd actually applied for the job while he was still at ICT last season when we ended up going with McGhee.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Is there some weird scenario with Hughes' deal at Rovers that would mean we wouldn't need to ask permission to speak to him? If not I'd have thought it'd have been reported one way or another that we'd asked to speak to your current manager tbh. Was quite surprised to find out that, according to an Evening Times report, he'd actually applied for the job while he was still at ICT last season when we ended up going with McGhee.

With the deal only lasting for 3 months initially it is possible that there is a clause saying something to the effect that we won't stand in his way should a Premier League job become available.

Just now, Martin Nelson said:

With the deal only lasting for 3 months initially it is possible that there is a clause saying something to the effect that we won't stand in his way should a Premier League job become available.

Oh absolutely I can 100% see that being a possibility but I'd have thought we'd still have had to make an official approach to Raith to say; "we'd like to speak to your manager, please" and one way or the other it'd have been reported with a bit of clarity in the press that "Motherwell have asked to speak to Raith Rovers...etc".

As it is you have this weird thing where the press are literally using bookies odds as a guide as to who's apparently "in the frame" for the job.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Oh absolutely I can 100% see that being a possibility but I'd have thought we'd still have had to make an official approach to Raith to say; "we'd like to speak to your manager, please" and one way or the other it'd have been reported with a bit of clarity in the press that "Motherwell have asked to speak to Raith Rovers...etc".

As it is you have this weird thing where the press are literally using bookies odds as a guide as to who's apparently "in the frame" for the job.

It could be that Hughes applied for the job and informed our board at that stage. In such a scenario I would assume there would be no need for Motherwell to make an official approach to us.

Came on to post the same thing. Article is here for anyone looking to read:
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/gary-locke-to-decide-his-managerial-future-this-summer-1-4391845
I don't mind someone just being bad, playing or managing, and it is definitely a shame to see him considering driving vans and such like.
But come on Gary... he's entirely correct we'd have taken finishing fifth. There was absolutely no chance whatsoever of that happening when he was sacked, though. We look very much like we're going down and it's virtually all his fault. 

Gary Glen is at Cowdenbeath now! What happened?

Gary Locke has a lot of respect for Donald the sash Findlay and his sacking at Raith came out of the blue.  Shut up you stupid arsehole.  Love how he puts Dundee Utd before Hibernian too, shows how bitter he is.  He let his personal football preference before his managerial position and that's why Rovers are in the state they are in.  No wonder Lewis couldn't stand the p***k. Working hard in training whilst Skacel and Stevenson fanny about, turn up late old pals act (yes, Lewis still trains there and loves Yogis training for what it's worth) what a dick of a guy.  Enjoy cleaning toilets mars bar kid. 

Came on to post the same thing. Article is here for anyone looking to read:
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/gary-locke-to-decide-his-managerial-future-this-summer-1-4391845
I don't mind someone just being bad, playing or managing, and it is definitely a shame to see him considering driving vans and such like.
But come on Gary... he's entirely correct we'd have taken finishing fifth. There was absolutely no chance whatsoever of that happening when he was sacked, though. We look very much like we're going down and it's virtually all his fault. 

I see he had Billy Brown scouting league 2 for him when he was with us so despite his comments he obviously knew where he was taking us.

24 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

So, hypothetical situation - Hughes leaves at the end of the season and Dundee Utd bin McKinnon. Do we take him back?

Given how he went, I'd seriously doubt the BoD would go for that.

In a heartbeat. I'd be delighted if the situation arose. He rarely played players in ridiculous positions, had excellent man management skills and got us on a ridiculously good winning spree. If we can source the talents we had similar to the second half of next season we'd definitely progress. 

If you were asking the question of Toshney, who was talented, but spat the dummy at not getting a move, then I'd say no probably. 

In a heartbeat. I'd be delighted if the situation arose. He rarely played players in ridiculous positions, had excellent man management skills and got us on a ridiculously good winning spree. If we can source the talents we had similar to the second half of next season we'd definitely progress. 
If you were asking the question of Toshney, who was talented, but spat the dummy at not getting a move, then I'd say no probably. 

However, he only managed to get one ringer in (Andreu) at United. Is that why they are looking poor? Last season was great but could McKinnin recreate that? Especially if we are in League 1.

Spoiler

Having a 'mare on my phone. Can't delete this box!

You couldn't paint a red face on Locke.

If McKinnon became available then I'd want us to try and entice him back. He's as good a manager as we are likely to get here.

Even when the team was performing poorly it looked like he had some tactical nouse and could change things up effectively. I think he also learned from his mistakes when it came to signing players early doors in his reign.

Edited by Lang Toun Lad