The New Raith Rovers Thread

We've only conceded something like 18 goals. A good bit less than anyone else. We're not scoring enough and we should be. We're not using Buchanan properly, Vaughan has had to drop deep to provide anything so his goals have dried up, Barr has been unfit for months, Zanatta left just as his confidence arrived but at least Spence has found his. Furtado might do a job if he gets service but the problem remains in midfield. Vaughan can't carry the whole team and now that Robertson looks set to miss a few weeks we need a plan L (B to K having been used up). Surely time to release Henry from bench.

41 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

We've only conceded something like 18 goals. A good bit less than anyone else. We're not scoring enough and we should be. We're not using Buchanan properly, Vaughan has had to drop deep to provide anything so his goals have dried up, Barr has been unfit for months, Zanatta left just as his confidence arrived but at least Spence has found his. Furtado might do a job if he gets service but the problem remains in midfield. Vaughan can't carry the whole team and now that Robertson looks set to miss a few weeks we need a plan L (B to K having been used up). Surely time to release Henry from bench.

I may disagree with your thoughts regarding the goalkeeper but I am definitely on the same page when it come to our misfiring midfield, it's very poor.

Since Callachan left the midfield has been sorely depleted.  Without Callachan and with Robertson only running on 50% were gonna struggle.  Not convinced that Hendry will be the answer but fairly certain that it's not Herron.

Mark Kerr  may very well be just about past it at 35,  but he is without a club might worth bringing in on a short term contract until May.  We need someone in there that can take a game if not by the scruff of the neck at least by the shirt collar.  None of our midfielders seem to have that in their locker.

Don't get wrong, Smith gives me palpitations every week, but his (and the merrygoround defence) record is best in the league. I'd rather Lennox play but I'd rather we scored a few more. We've got the proven players but they're not delivering. Why? Midfield.
It's because Smith has us playing long ball ball to 2 strikers who want and need the ball played to their feet. Today was a prime example.

39 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

I may disagree with your thoughts regarding the goalkeeper but I am definitely on the same page when it come to our misfiring midfield, it's very poor.

Since Callachan left the midfield has been sorely depleted.  Without Callachan and with Robertson only running on 50% were gonna struggle.  Not convinced that Hendry will be the answer but fairly certain that it's not Herron.

Mark Kerr  may very well be just about past it at 35,  but he is without a club might worth bringing in on a short term contract until May.  We need someone in there that can take a game if not by the scruff of the neck at least by the shirt collar.  None of our midfielders seem to have that in their locker.

We're having Mark Kerr, thank you very much.

There’s been little made of us signing Regan Hendry and not even giving him a single second on the pitch in the 4 matches we’ve played since he signed. Fucking madness to sign someone then not play them at all, monumental waste of money that could’ve surely been spent elsewhere if Smith doesn’t think he’s good enough? Downright bizarre, especially for a January signing.

There’s been little made of us signing Regan Hendry and not even giving him a single second on the pitch in the 4 matches we’ve played since he signed. Fucking madness to sign someone then not play them at all, monumental waste of money that could’ve surely been spent elsewhere if Smith doesn’t think he’s good enough? Downright bizarre, especially for a January signing.
We only made 2 subs today as well. Why not throw him on today and at least give the boy a chance. Smith really does seem to hate giving youth a chance.

Has McCalls words of war after the game last week had a bit of the Jose Mourinho mind game effect? Not had a chance to read your match thread or watch your highlights so not sure if it’s a case of not being able to score or just a bad game. Next week is very interesting now, pressure pendulum has swung round back on Raith after the defeat and with your next 2 games being away, where you have only won 4/10 away league games, do the players have that sitting in the back of their heads?

Has McCalls words of war after the game last week had a bit of the Jose Mourinho mind game effect? Not had a chance to read your match thread or watch your highlights so not sure if it’s a case of not being able to score or just a bad game. Next week is very interesting now, pressure pendulum has swung round back on Raith after the defeat and with your next 2 games being away, where you have only won 4/10 away league games, do the players have that sitting in the back of their heads?
Probably a mixture of our poor away record, having a shaky goalkeeper (as you'll know all too well) and also a shift in the weight of expectation with us having the chance to really turn the screw on Ayr.

I remember feeling oddly positive after Ayr skelped us in November, it signalled definite change in the way Smith approached future games (McKay has played every game since, Robertson has played in midfield, Vaughan was dropped back, etc). Sadly I can’t see it this time.

Graeme Smith has now cost us goals which put us behind away from home on three occasions - Albion, Airdrie, Stranraer. We nabbed a totally undeserved point at Airdrie but in all three matches we’ve had plenty time to recover the situation yet never really looked like it. Obviously that’s an issue bigger than the goalkeeper. The team haven’t responded at all to challenges on the road. From ten away games, four wins is dreadful. In all four we scored the first goal. In our three defeats on the road, we lost the first goal each time.

We have to approach away matches differently. No getting away from it. And yes, quite obviously an immediate change for next week is the goalkeeper...

I remember feeling oddly positive after Ayr skelped us in November, it signalled definite change in the way Smith approached future games (McKay has played every game since, Robertson has played in midfield, Vaughan was dropped back, etc). Sadly I can’t see it this time.

Graeme Smith has now cost us goals which put us behind away from home on three occasions - Albion, Airdrie, Stranraer. We nabbed a totally undeserved point at Airdrie but in all three matches we’ve had plenty time to recover the situation yet never really looked like it. Obviously that’s an issue bigger than the goalkeeper. The team haven’t responded at all to challenges on the road. From ten away games, four wins is dreadful. In all four we scored the first goal. In our three defeats on the road, we lost the first goal each time.

We have to approach away matches differently. No getting away from it. And yes, quite obviously an immediate change for next week is the goalkeeper...
It's not just a different approach tactically I also think it's mentally with the players. The attitude from the get go yesterday was awful, Bobby Barr in particular. If he tried as hard playing as he does yelling to his team mates and fans in the stand then he'd be playing Champions League. We turned up yesterday expecting Stranraer to roll over and have their bellies tickled.