The New Raith Rovers Thread

Would an unhappy Callachan still led us to the title after the club refused to sell him to his boyhood hero’s?
What if he refused to play? Train? Paying him to sit in the stand or take the undisclosed fee and try (and ultimately fail) to replace him? 
No brainier I’m afraid.
Case closed I think.

Are you on the Board? Terrible attitude to it.

How come St Mirren managed to wangle a deal to keep their player until the end of the season?

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

How come St Mirren managed to wangle a deal to keep their player until the end of the season?

I would wager that he wasn't required for last season, whereas Hearts were gagging to plug gaps and were desperate for a solution.

6 hours ago, grumswall said:

Duggan did look decent enough I have no problem with him signing. I had been told from an East fife fan that Wilkie was there best player but can't say he ever really stood out against us.

Duggan is decent but Wilkie is just another Buchanan. Short arse, injury prone and lightweight.

Hardly anything to get wet about.

Duggan is decent but Wilkie is just another Buchanan. Short arse, injury prone and lightweight.
Hardly anything to get wet about.

Wouldn't say buchanan has been particularly injury prone with us so far.

Where did Smith play Wilkie? Was it cm?

Nothing yet from the club. The release of early bird tickets over a 2 day period was just ridiculous though. Due to work I had no chance of taking up the option. I don't plan on getting one this season due but if I was I'd be pretty upset that cause in contact the club over a two day period that I'd lost out. I'm sure last year the early bird offer was on until June?
I expect the club are holding back on the sale until they have a good news story to release.

Trying to flog season tickets on the back of the last couple of weeks and our retention of Smith is going to be a tricky task.

32 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Aye, I’m John Sim. You’ll like it. And you’ll lump it Sonny. Now you get down to Starks First thing tomorrow and get a season ticket. Good lad.

Edited by Wardy

5 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Wouldn't say buchanan has been particularly injury prone with us so far.

Where did Smith play Wilkie? Was it cm?

Soz, I meant short arsed and lightweight. Hes been pretty inconsistent this season from the few games I've suffered.

I said the same thing when you guys signed Buchanan.

These players are nothing to get excited about. Average at best and doubt they will compliment the current crop at starko.

The fact Smith signed Paul Willis (for East Fife) shows he can spot a player :thumbsdown

2 hours ago, Wardy said:

Would an unhappy Callachan still led us to the title after the club refused to sell him to his boyhood hero’s?

What if he refused to play? Train? Paying him to sit in the stand or take the undisclosed fee and try (and ultimately fail) to replace him? 

No brainier I’m afraid.

Case closed I think.

Disagree with that tbh. I'd imagine he'd be gutted he wouldn't have had the chance to move, but at the same time his contract was up in the summer and he would've been able to watch. Does any player at this level really have the willingness to throw the toys out the pram and sit in the stand. If he stayed, and does that, then what would the reaction be from Hearts be to a potential player? 

You could of course argue that it might have meant Hearts could easily have gone elsewhere. 

It's easy to speculate at the moment. I think it's safe to say it had a detrimental effect on the balance in our squad, and one of our main issues was a midfield with little drive or energy when Scott Robertson wasn't injured or playing in defence (which was, unfortunately, a lot of the time).  Either way, it's vital the club get in a player to push forward in the midfield, and some defenders who don't punt the ball up to forwards cluelessly. 

You're getting absolutely seen off m8.
Unless you live in the McCallister house from Home Alone or something.

Went to three contractors all of whom had been recommended. Also did some research on the internet into costs for various different types of loft conversion. Seems about right.

I should have went to a Pars fan on the internet and asked him for a price.

Soz, I meant short arsed and lightweight. Hes been pretty inconsistent this season from the few games I've suffered.
I said the same thing when you guys signed Buchanan.
These players are nothing to get excited about. Average at best and doubt they will compliment the current crop at starko.
The fact Smith signed Paul Willis (for East Fife) shows he can spot a player :thumbsdown

In fairness I'm hoping he's not stupid enough to think the current crop are good enough. I'm also hoping he's building beyond this season, so his replacement won't have as big a job on his hands. I doubt it though.

Also, I'd be disappointed if we went for a player at this level who haven't really shown much, rather than looking at players potentially from the Championship or the top tier who have been released. Going to be underwhelming if we're picking up players from an utterly timid East Fife side. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

6 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Also, I'd be disappointed if we went for a player at this level who haven't really shown much, rather than looking at players potentially from the Championship or the top tier who have been released. Going to be underwhelming if we're picking up players from an utterly timid East Fife side. 

Hate to agree with a lino brethren but you've called that about right.

Not thrilled with keeping Smith but if it’s between that and part time football the board have probably made the correct call as a new manager would need to totally rebuild with part time players in a very short space of time.

Two things cost us this league for me Ayr signing Shankland was a great move by them as he was their stand out but mostly our board torpedoed a winning team by selling our captain and main midfielder to Hearts for a pittance, yes we’re a selling club but what we got for him was far less than failing to go up will have cost us. Absolute shortsightedness by our board and probably one of the reasons Young fell on his sword.

Team wise I think a few are being a bit over dramatic yes we need changes but there are area that can improve. For me we need to improve our midfield and goalkeepers, the defence was solid enough and our strikers are good but were let down by midfield and we resorted to long balls.

GK - get rid of Smith (shite too many clown moments) get rid of Lennox (made of glass)

DF - get rid of McHattie (shite and made of glass) get rid of Thompson (past it)

MF - get rid Robertson (made of glass as he’s getting on) get rid of Barr (shite) get rid of Herron (shite)

FW - there’s players in there if we can get a midfield who can supply them. Buchanan is here under contract so I’d probably offload Spence he’s had two chance with us and underperformed twice, he also doesn’t seem to work with Buchanan. Try and replace him with a target man.

Find a keeper (Christ I’d take McGurn back) keep the young lad Brian as No2, slight changes to the defence, gut the midfield and sort the supply to the forwards and we should be there abouts next year. BS needs to decide how he wants to play and get players who fit the system. Not try to make player play a system they can’t. We’re getting a plastic pitch so we should be using the surface to our advantage and keeping it on the deck not punting it up the pitch high to no one.

I always find it funny when people say get mcgurn back but chastise the likes of Thomson (Thompson) and Robertson for being past it. Thomson was in the leagues Toty based on what his opponents have said. Any time Robertson hasn't played our midfield has fell to pieces. Plus he's a player/ coach. I love mcgurn as much as the next fan but he's a pt 'keeper who has struggled with injuries due to his age and will most likely be in goal as cowden leave the professional set up.

I’d also be looking at guys freed in the Championship or above as even average Championship level players can be standout down here, see Shankland. Nothing against signing one or two from East Fife or others if they’re decent, would he worried if we pick up more than that as there’s not that much quality there.

I always find it funny when people say get mcgurn back but chastise the likes of Thomson (Thompson) and Robertson for being past it. Thomson was in the leagues Toty based on what his opponents have said. Any time Robertson hasn't played our midfield has fell to pieces. Plus he's a player/ coach. I love mcgurn as much as the next fan but he's a pt 'keeper who has struggled with injuries due to his age and will most likely be in goal as cowden leave the professional set up.

Agreed but he’s still head and shoulders above the two this season. The age isn’t as big a factor with a GK as they don’t lose their pace. McGurn would be far from the top of my list.