The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, GhostZapper said:

What farce? Did we not do pretty well and reach the Quarter Finals?

That is the farce. It's a pretty awful, pointless cup and last season we ended up getting Lennox injured, thus necessitating the bringing in of Smith....

9 minutes ago, renton said:

That is the farce. It's a pretty awful, pointless cup and last season we ended up getting Lennox injured, thus necessitating the bringing in of Smith....

Behave! Could have happened in any match or training - he did it taking a bye kick did he not?
A club in our position should be doing anything possible to get support behind the team, get crowds in, get fans supporting us. Prize money isn't great but every pound is a prisoner! Getting through the rounds and having a wee cup run will do more good surely

Edited by GhostZapper

1 minute ago, GhostZapper said:

Behave! Could have happened in any match or training - he did it taking a bye kick did he not?

The fact is the risk is there, running a small squad of injuring players in a less than pointless game. I'd be trying really hard to get kicked out of the cup at the earliest opportunity.

3 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

A club in our position should be doing anything possible to get support behind the team, get crowds in, get fans supporting us. Prize money isn't great but every pound is a prisoner! Getting through the rounds and having a wee cup run will do more harm than good.

It was completely avoidable, and we lost money on two games along with having to sign a new keeper. Incidentally, it also meant we missed out on Gadzhalov from Dundee on loan as centre back cover.

There was no need to field a full strength team and it cost us.

Just now, renton said:

The fact is the risk is there, running a small squad of injuring players in a less than pointless game. I'd be trying really hard to get kicked out of the cup at the earliest opportunity.

Your sitting here wanting us to lose?
Going a further 2 rounds could be the difference in getting in an extra player

1 minute ago, GhostZapper said:

We actually lost money hosting games last year.

1 minute ago, renton said:

We actually lost money hosting games last year.

We did and we didn't..... That loss figure (for the Ross County Colts game) was based on the fact the club had to give ross county a share of the full gate, based on everyone paying in. Which included a value because we chose to allow 600 or so season ticket holders in as part of their ST.

However, Including it within the season tickets would have possibly brought in extra sales, as folk would have saw it as a better overall package. Had we not included all cup games (which we've done on the back of that this season) may have resulted in lower sales. Plenty of folk openly saying they haven't bought one because with the lack of cup games, it's not good enough value.

Just now, GhostZapper said:

So neither of you were that fussed about us beating Rangers a few years back and winning it? waste of time? Pointless? Assume neither of you bothered going.

I went. I also tend to go to pre-season games which are also fairly pointless exercises.  The opposition and their expectations for the day did add a wee bit of lustre right enough, but let's not pretend that's anywhere near the norm. We made more money out of getting St Johnstone in the QFs of the Scottish cup that year than we did playing to a packed Easter Road in a notionally national cup final. Now of course, the whole thing is a fucking mess of Welsh, Irish and Premier Colts teams. Aye, I think it's worse than pointless, I actually think it can have a mildly negative effect so yeah I want out. I'd never advocate Rovers losing a game, but if we somehow managed to fall foul of some administrative rules, that'd be grand.

8 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

So neither of you were that fussed about us beating Rangers a few years back and winning it? waste of time? Pointless? Assume neither of you bothered going.

You know as well as others that it was only because of who we beat that everyone was fussed.Do you honestly think we,d have taken sch a support if it hadn,t been them.

Its a mickey mouse cup made even more mickey mousy by Doncaster with the inclusion of welsh and irish teams

is there not english teams in it as well now?

Edited by Rovers_Lad

The Rangers final was such a unique event that will never be repeated.

We won that cup in the best way it could ever be won, other than the odd good day out then I have no to little interest in it.

25 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

What farce? Did we not do pretty well and reach the Quarter Finals?

It's already been covered, but we lost our goalkeeper to injury and lost money to add insult to injury. 

The competition has been comprehensively devalued by letting in first colt teams, then Welsh and Irish teams, and now a couple of teams from England as well. The utter contempt shown for the tournament by the governing bodies has been noted and fans are turned off. That Aberdeen game is set up for the club to lose more money it can't afford to, and for little gain. 

You may fairly criticse the club for letting ST holders into the game against Ross County, but it'd have been played infront of around 500 otherwise - people don't want to watch their club patronised by being forced to play against a "big" club's youth team. 

14 minutes ago, Michael W said:

It's already been covered, but we lost our goalkeeper to injury and lost money to add insult to injury. 

The competition has been comprehensively devalued by letting in first colt teams, then Welsh and Irish teams, and now a couple of teams from England as well. The utter contempt shown for the tournament by the governing bodies has been noted and fans are turned off. That Aberdeen game is set up for the club to lose more money it can't afford to, and for little gain. 

You may fairly criticse the club for letting ST holders into the game against Ross County, but it'd have been played infront of around 500 otherwise - people don't want to watch their club patronised by being forced to play against a "big" club's youth team. 

I wasn't criticising the club - merely pointing out the reason why we "lost" money.

I was one of the season ticket holders there, and unless im away, I'll be going to the Aberdeen game.

I personally wouldn't mind getting horsed out at the first attempt.

Danny Denholm of Arbroath has a little blog and recently 'the jobbies cup' was the topic. The tournament is a farce.

https://thelowerleagueconnoisseur.com/2018/06/23/jobbies-cup/

1 hour ago, GhostZapper said:

Yes, because a final against Rangers in a year where we knocked out the Pars and Falkirk on route is the same as a devalued competition playing non-league and colt team dross and losing our keeper.

We won the cup in one of 4 years where it's been relevant.

24 minutes ago, kev23 said:

I personally wouldn't mind getting horsed out at the first attempt.

Danny Denholm of Arbroath has a little blog and recently 'the jobbies cup' was the topic. The tournament is a farce.

https://thelowerleagueconnoisseur.com/2018/06/23/jobbies-cup/

Denholm's blog really is very good to be fair.