The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, GhostZapper said:

I heard last night we are speaking to Hearts about a possible loan signing.

Noticed Marcus Godinho hasn't been getting game time recently. He's a right back who might be injured, but if he's coming back he could be an option.

eta: He's injured at the moment, but back in October.

Edited by Broken Algorithms

If so, please be Keena

Why on earth would we want another attacking player?

Nisbet 6 goals in 4 games, Buchanan 3 goals in 4 games as well as Duggan, Milne, Vaughan and Stevenson as attacking options.

We need a right back. For all the people that want Smith sacked, how can his sacking be justified considering how little he has in terms of resources?

3 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Nisbet 6 goals in 4 games, Buchanan 3 goals in 4 games as well as Duggan, Milne, Vaughan and Stevenson as attacking options.

We need a right back. For all the people that want Smith sacked, how can his sacking be justified considering how little he has in terms of resources?

I think right back is a priority, on the other hand Milne and Vaughan unlikely to be around for a couple of weeks yet and Stevenson no where near ready.  There is a case to be made for another body to allow us to attack over 90 minutes, the difference in terms of keeping the ball up the pitch 2nd half on saturday, vs. Matthews in there was stark.

32 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Not saying I want him sacked as we can't afford it after the ludicrous 2 year contract, but as you have been told many times by others,  Alloa, Alloa, Alloa, BS assembled the squad.

We have only had one fit wide midfielder for the games we have played so far while we have had Murray, valentine and Watson available to play full back. If Flanagan goes down with another injury we would have no width in the team at all. 

Has Watson been that bad? I’ve been to 5-6 games this season and been impressed with him. I know he’s not the finished article but i think he just needs games under his belt. And surely if he picks up an injury, Matthews could possibly cover?

I feel we need another wide player, similar to Zanatta (but hopefully better). Someone who can win headers, a physical threat, create a chance or score from outside the box.

I would personally prioritise a wide midfielder / winger, as even in an alternative reality where we don’t get injuries, we only really have two players who are truly suited to playing there in Vaughan & Flanagan. Matthews is well documented as a CM and Milne might even be less suited than Matthews to the role, albeit we haven’t really seen him fit yet. We’re probably resorting to our top goalscorer and, thus far, our key player playing on the wing on Saturday and I don’t think that’s really acceptable, as we found to our cost last season.

Watson seems to have had a poor game on Saturday but that’ll happen with someone chucked in at the deep end. He’ll learn from it. He’s been fine in most of the other games, and even objectively viewing the highlights there are far more experienced players who did more to harm the outcome than he did last week.

Ideally, in fairness, we’d get both, but if it’s one or the other then on balance I’d take a winger.

Right back has to be the priority.
Once the squad is a little healthier I'd have zero problem with Watson, or Valentine getting a lot of game time. My main concern at the minute is we lose another couple of players to injury and we need to patch the squad with the young players we have available and hope they cope.
We are one injury away (Murray) from a bit of a crisis defensively so I look forward to Smith bringing in a centre midfielder.

I'd say we need a winger. Watson Gillespie and davo can all play at rb even mckay at a push. We have no depth on the wings though.

By that reasoning, Matthews, Nesbit, Vaughan and Milne can all play on the right.
The thought of Davidson filling in at right back is the definition of fear.

By that reasoning, Matthews, Nesbit, Vaughan and Milne can all play on the right.
The thought of Davidson filling in at right back is the definition of fear.
He did not too badly when he did in the past. We ideally need an experienced rb and a winger but if I had to choose I would go for a winger. Its been hard to create chances in this league for us so another attacking option would be better Imo. (last 10 on Saturday apart)

I’d like to think that Smith also thinks we need a RB tbh. We offered terms to Jason Thomson, he turned them down and we then just decided that we didn’t need another RB after all. He must’ve thought at that point that Watson wouldn’t be enough.

I don’t think Watson has done badly, far from it, but we absolutely need some form of cover there for when his form turns/he gets injured.