The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

Agreed Calderon.  But surely you want that training session to tell you something about how you are developing as a team.  My point was Stiffer opposition might give you a Stiffer test. 

Nah, because better opposition aren't necessarily putting in the effort to give you a decent yard stick. 

It's purely about getting distance into legs and getting the rhythms going. See also why it's pointless trying to judge a trialist on the back of a friendly.

Read the FFP piece, pretty decent, and took away this quote:

"If we can bring in two solid centre halves - they don't have to be fancy, they don't have to be fashionable - they just need to be good defenders, be able to organise and make sure other players around them are organising as well, leading by example. That's the road we're going down at the moment. It's very important to have two dominant centre halves in the rough and tumble of the Scottish Championship, especially away from home when you're going down to really tough venues. I think if you look around the leagues and look at the teams that do well, their centre halves are normally big rough and ready types. They don't have to be the most fantastic and gifted footballers because they're there to do a job which is to stop the ball going in the net. Certainly in this league it's a very physical challenge for everybody and to try and get two solid types in there would be great for us."

It’s pretty clear that for now IM isn’t willing to take just any CB, but he’s looking for an experienced leader type or two. The latter part of the quote suggests we’ll settle if we can’t pull that off, but for now we’re still in the race for a couple…so it’s hurry up and wait.

2 hours ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

Anyone else underwhelmed with the calibre of the opposition for our pre season friendlies this year?

I see the Pars have German 2nd division opposition for one of their matches.  A much sterner test for them than Linlithgow Rose I bet.

I remember back in the early Eighties seeing the likes of John Toshak appearing for Swansea in a pre season friendly.  What happened to that thinking?

I'm sure we could give Pep or Ancelotti a phone and organize a Kick about 

21 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

You need to get your Algorithms fixed Pal.  Pre season friendlies are an important part of getting the team ready for the season.  If they weren't important, why do all teams take part in them?

I could give you the name of a good mathematician who also happens to be a Pilot, he might be able to help fix you?

That doesn’t even make sense. 

7 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Read the FFP piece, pretty decent, and took away this quote:

"If we can bring in two solid centre halves - they don't have to be fancy, they don't have to be fashionable - they just need to be good defenders, be able to organise and make sure other players around them are organising as well, leading by example. That's the road we're going down at the moment. It's very important to have two dominant centre halves in the rough and tumble of the Scottish Championship, especially away from home when you're going down to really tough venues. I think if you look around the leagues and look at the teams that do well, their centre halves are normally big rough and ready types. They don't have to be the most fantastic and gifted footballers because they're there to do a job which is to stop the ball going in the net. Certainly in this league it's a very physical challenge for everybody and to try and get two solid types in there would be great for us."

It’s pretty clear that for now IM isn’t willing to take just any CB, but he’s looking for an experienced leader type or two. The latter part of the quote suggests we’ll settle if we can’t pull that off, but for now we’re still in the race for a couple…so it’s hurry up and wait.

I’m really surprised the FFP didn’t regurgitate the annual £150,000 loss. That seems to generate interest somehow. 

4 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Hiya, I’m not new. I used to be baillieinleeds. Made a balls of my old account after maintenance Monday. Maybe they were trying to tell me something. And yet I thought I was being more positive😆

That’s the point, they were convinced a Russian bot had taken over the account. At least now you won’t get the Leeds question…

Just now, TxRover said:

That’s the point, they were convinced a Russian bot had taken over the account. At least now you won’t get the Leeds question…

Exactly, jeezo. I’ve been home for 7 years. I think someone mentioned I had to join the platinum members thread to change my name. I like this one I’m using currently.

24 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Friendlies are glorified training sessions, and should be treated as such.

Correct take.

Falkirk fans were creaming themselves over a 6-2 win over us a few seasons ago. It was pretty much the high point of their season. I'd take a 6-2 skelping in every preseason game if it meant we got into the playoffs like we did that season. 

Surely the good point about friendlies that has now largely been lost due to the League Cup groups isn't seeing your team vs e.g. Dumbarton for the 14th July in a row, but the occasional Saturday piss-up day out to somewhere different.

Have no idea what Raith did but I have (hazy) memories of Thistle trips to Blyth followed by night in Newcastle and Fleetwood followed by night in Blackpool and I know others went to Bath / Durham / Northern Ireland / Spain (albeit last one when we were in Premiership and had few more £££)

There is a small chance you can get a good away day on a Saturday in the LC but a friendly was at least something different

Edited by Fuctifano

14 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Surely the good point about friendlies that has now largely been lost due to the League Cup groups isn't seeing your team vs e.g. Dumbarton for the 14th July in a row, but the occasional Saturday piss-up day out to somewhere different.

Have no idea what Raith did but I have (hazy) memories of Thistle trips to Blyth followed by night in Newcastle and Fleetwood followed by night in Blackpool and I know others went to Bath / Durham / Northern Ireland / Spain (albeit last one when we were in Premiership and had few more £££)

There is a small chance you can get a good away day on a Saturday in the LC but a friendly was at least something different

Back when Nicholl was in charge we had a pre-season trip to play Bangor in Northern Ireland.  No idea what the score was or what the game was like, although I do remember a load of people missing half the game from falling into a drunken stupor during the second half.  Great trip though, with swan derby on the pedal boats.

15 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Aye, heavy rumours that we're playing St Pauli away next summer. Which in normal circumstances would be incredible, however there's every chance I'll have already been to Germany! 

1 hour ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

Agreed Calderon.  But surely you want that training session to tell you something about how you are developing as a team.  My point was Stiffer opposition might give you a Stiffer test. 

Genuinely couldn't care.  I've seen really good Rovers sides play keech in pre season, and vice versa.