The New Raith Rovers Thread

Hamilton is getting chances Saturday showed this but he just hasn't found his shooting boots yet when he does I think teams will be in trouble. 

Gullan is a different type of player entirely and naturally drifts back or to the left to pick up the ball. 

Vaughan and Stanton are the 2 best in the 10 role although it's a difficult one because Vaughan has more goals in him but I think Stanton contributes more to the all round team. 

But I would like to highlight Smith who for me has been our best player so far. I expected him to be more of a squad player but he looks undropable at fhe minute. He works his arse off every match, he contributes goals as well as assists and has great pace. I think he's a better bet up top than Gullan. 

Hamilton not really a target man for me he’s a total all rounder - watched all of your highlights in recent weeks and would agree that he’s just not found his shooting boots and form yet. The chance he had on Saturday even, he actually got really good contact on that and it was a decent effort but just not going in for him.

He is one of they guys who will when the season starts becoming a slog or when games maybe start being a bit of shitefest due to poor conditions etc who you just know will pop up with goals from nothing when the ball is in and around the box.

Also unbelievable in the air but can’t really remember seeing him have any real opportunities like that but again I’ve only watched your highlights and not really paid full attention to them like I obviously would when watching ours

Least Hamilton is off the mark though. But definitely on showings so far, probably should have couple more of his efforts hit the back of the net. 

It’s actually mental how many formations and systems we can actually utilise with the forwards we have at our disposal. Having all these options and being able to change up the way we play (even throughout matches) will keep the opposition constantly guessing. 

Could do with Hamilton starting to put a few more away. I think he’s a massive, massive part of the way we play and think he is frankly class, but he will know as much as anyone that he needs to start finishing those chances when they come his way. Could’ve had a hat trick in the first half on Saturday. 

2 hours ago, Jilted John said:

When it’s Vaughan or Gullan playing in the lone striker role, they tend to drift out wide, crossing the ball into the space where they should have been. 

See this bit is what annoys me most, if they're drifting out wide then the rest of the team must compensate for that, whoever is wide left should be able to move inside and take advantage of the space left behind. Similar with whoever is playing behind the striker. It's painful to see the opportunity and not see the team exploiting it more. Instead, as you say we get crosses into space and not a lot more. 

You'd like to think that with the options this season, we're better equipped to take advantage of these things 

Yes, Hamilton stays in his central area but he also doesn't close down, it's left to Stanton and a one man press is at best futile when our wide players are dropping back to cover the fullbacks. 

However, all that said, the options we have are excellent if we can keep everyone fit and get them decent minutes. 

50 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Could do with Hamilton starting to put a few more away. I think he’s a massive, massive part of the way we play and think he is frankly class, but he will know as much as anyone that he needs to start finishing those chances when they come his way. Could’ve had a hat trick in the first half on Saturday. 

Too few people seem to notice the sheer number of headed clearances that Hamilton seems to provide on corners and such. While Murray and Watson are battling it out in close, Jack seems to always be sniffing around where the ball comes in and helping clear it. I don’t remember any forward in recent years with that level of contribution when we’re backed up.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Too few people seem to notice the sheer number of headed clearances that Hamilton seems to provide on corners and such. While Murray and Watson are battling it out in close, Jack seems to always be sniffing around where the ball comes in and helping clear it. I don’t remember any forward in recent years with that level of contribution when we’re backed up.

I picked up on this against Morton, he's that rare thing of being a forward who's capable of defending a set piece. Most of the time strikers get in the way or do nothing. 

I'm a huge fan of Hamilton. He was absolutely terrorising Queens in the first half on Saturday.

He had 2 great chances. One where the goalie spreads himself well and gets lucky and one where he just misjudges the bounce of the ball. If you add in the red card then he could have had a first half hat trick.

There is no doubt that they will be working on his movement with the balls that Mullin and Millen can supply and at some point it is going to bear fruit. 

For me, he leads the line all day long. The 3 in behind can do all the chasing down as, whichever 3 start, there are 3 able replacements to come on when they are goosed.

18 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

I'm a huge fan of Hamilton. He was absolutely terrorising Queens in the first half on Saturday.

He had 2 great chances. One where the goalie spreads himself well and gets lucky and one where he just misjudges the bounce of the ball. If you add in the red card then he could have had a first half hat trick.

There is no doubt that they will be working on his movement with the balls that Mullin and Millen can supply and at some point it is going to bear fruit. 

For me, he leads the line all day long. The 3 in behind can do all the chasing down as, whichever 3 start, there are 3 able replacements to come on when they are goosed.

Came on to say what this Xavi said. Hamilton starts up to all day, everyday.

Question is what 3 play behind him and Murray will mix and match depending on form. Callum Smith is a dead cert starter at the moment.

16 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Not a lot of mentions on Stanton’s recent performances. 

For me in the more advanced position he’s been simply phenomenal. Classy player.

Stanton has, while playing as a more advanced mid rather than filling in at DM, probably been more critical to the teams success than Hendry was.

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

Fantastic initiative that I'm sure a lot of us can get behind. The description on the JustGiving page fairly tugs at the heart strings. Will fire over a donation 😊

Was just coming to post and say the same. Brilliant stuff and hopefully a lot can be raised. 

here is the direct link: https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/thecommunitybelong?utm_source=copyLink&utm_medium=one_page&utm_content=campaign/thecommunitybelong&utm_campaign=pfp-share&utm_term=c6df757c44d0454abea9f75607993fef

Edited by HIT THE CHANNEL

9 hours ago, foreverarover said:

Just book the bus to a local social club. Then return to said social club. What you do I between is f**k all to do with anyone 🤣🤣

But would that be the case in Scotland?  Given it relates partially to a transport matter, is transport not devolved to the Scottish Government?  This is in relation to the Derek Watson post regarding alleged UK government rules on football coaches.

Edited by Arthur Reid McDermott
Clarification