The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

Of all the flags this boy could think of getting made up to take to the football in 2023 it's a flag with Derry - "aye but, that was oor gangs name in the 70s and 80s eh" - written on it whilst posing with UDL flags during a game against Cliftonville. Boy sounds like an absolute rocket, 'Rovers fan' or not.

I was only advising of the local history of the ‘Linktown Derry’ phrase.

This obviously bothers you, maybe you should have a word with the boy and express your dismay to him and maybe make him see the light 👍

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It is, and there's been bits doing the round where he's got photos on social media of him over in Northern Ireland and with staunch paraphernalia.

32 minutes ago, spot on said:

This obviously bothers you, maybe you should have a word with the boy and express your dismay to him and maybe make him see the light 👍

Does a guy posing with UDL flags wearing a Rovers jacket not bother you? 

44 minutes ago, spot on said:

I was only advising of the local history of the ‘Linktown Derry’ phrase.

From the photos I've seen of him he's not exactly a young silly boy in need of education. 

I've seen a couple posts now of people saying to go up and have a word with him, which is daft. 

For the most part people just want to go along to the football and enjoy themselves. Whether fairly or not, people who take and display the UJ like that in Scotland, have garnered a reputation for themselves as the type of person who if you went up to try and "educate" about why the connotations of posing with a loyalist flag isn't good for the club, would kick right off and cause a bit of a scene. 

Now personally, confrontation isn't top of the list for me anymore with regards to football, a few people on here might well be the same. 

Don't see the issue with discussing it on here/with your mates without running the gauntlet of speaking to Mr UVF. 

4 hours ago, spot on said:

The ‘Linktown Derry’ is a flag very much from the past. back in the 70’s /80’s this was the name given to the local links street gang that ran about the area acting the tough nuts. They are from the days of supporters changing ends at half time and all you seen was the stoor blowing out of the railway shelter as they passed each other with arms and legs swinging at each other as they passed. Think the flag owner may have been one of the originals with a ‘reminiscent’ flag. I’m sure it relates to that rather than anything more sinister. 

The counter point to this, is there is I'm fairly sure there was photos shared last time this came up of the boy who has the flag going to Derry for the bonfires, making it maybe less to do with a group of youths from the 80s and more to do with the troubles?

On 04/12/2023 at 09:28, kdyteejay said:

From today’s Daily Record 

SPFL Premiership could BAN plastic pitches next season as Neil Doncaster talks could lead to 'grass only' vote
Kilmarnock are set to return to grass ahead of the 2024/25 season but Livingston boss says ditching plastic is too expensive.

Plastic pitches could be banned in the Premiership before next season starts.

Record Sport understands SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster has headed talks around outlawing all synthetic surfaces from the top flight, with further discussions scheduled with clubs in the New Year. And that could lead to a vote to go ‘grass only’ before the end of the campaign, with clubs granted a period of grace to get necessary renovation work done.

Kilmarnock chairman Billy Bowie has already announced plans to rip up the astro turf at Rugby Park in 2026 – and it’s expected all clubs currently using 3G surfaces will be given a similar timescale to switch. Livingston are the only other top 12 side to play on an all-weather pitch but had to postpone a home clash with Ross County on Saturday when sections of it were frozen solid

Boss David Martindale insists the club would be willing to follow Killie’s lead – as long as the SPFL are prepared to bankroll them with a hefty cheque. He said: “I’d rather have a grass park and if the authorities want to give us a couple of million then we’ll have one with undersoil heating and a separate training ground.

“Realistically, it’d cost us between £2m-£3m.We’re paying for VAR and energy costs have increased. Overall, we’re handing out £300,000-400,000 extra and our incoming revenue doesn’t match that. It’ll be five or 10 years before we can be where Kilmarnock are now.

“We’re the only team in the Premiership that doesn’t own their stadium – the only licence we own is the one from the SFA – and since returning to the Premiership in 2018 we’ve spent £600,000 upgrading the ground.”

Livi also splashed out to in a bid to have Saturday’s game played, using covers the SPFL compelled them to buy and spreading 200 kilos of salt.

Currently using 3G pitches, silly question and probably rhetorical but does this include our 4G pitch? No one seems to have a problem playing on it and reaction from other clubs have been positive, including Premier league clubs.

4 hours ago, MICMAC said:

Currently using 3G pitches, silly question and probably rhetorical but does this include our 4G pitch? No one seems to have a problem playing on it and reaction from other clubs have been positive, including Premier league clubs.

3 hours ago, Beachbum said:

Ours is a 3G pitch.

Stark's Park (sportskey.com)

2 hours ago, Jilted John said:

Yeah ours is 3G although it’s a top spec one. The difference between 3 and 4G is that the 4’s don’t have any ‘infill’ so no rubber crumb etc. 

The current “4G” pitches tend to have trouble meeting FIFA standards, so a good quality 3G pitch is the best out there. There actually isn’t a real meaning for 4G, but it’s accepted that it’s a no infill product…5G is currently pure marketing bunk.

15 hours ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Tickets bought.  Haven't been to Tannadice since beating them 2-1 there in 1996 (Steve Kirk and Kent Bergerson) when we ended up holding on after going down to 9 men.  Was very enjoyable after we'd been dicked around by that wee p***k Tommy Mclean earlier in the season.

I see we're in the shed and read online that the capacity of that stand is around 1,900.  If we win on Friday and Wednesday I can see them having to open up the other stand too.

The last time i was there, was under gary fucking locke. 2-2 after being 2-0 down. I think scott Roberts and Kevin mchattie were the scorers, with the latter being an absolute screamer. I can also remember mckinnon getting it tight from our fans 😂

1 hour ago, philpy said:

The last time i was there, was under gary fucking locke. 2-2 after being 2-0 down. I think scott Roberts and Kevin mchattie were the scorers, with the latter being an absolute screamer. I can also remember mckinnon getting it tight from our fans 😂

First goal was a belter as well.

Likewise last time I was at Tannadice was the 2-2 game and prior to that would have been the win in 1996. Where's best place to park? Got a ticket up at Dens last season when parking on a side street which stewards openly let me park in and said heehaw 🤦

4 minutes ago, Raithie said:

First goal was a belter as well.

Likewise last time I was at Tannadice was the 2-2 game and prior to that would have been the win in 1996. Where's best place to park? Got a ticket up at Dens last season when parking on a side street which stewards openly let me park in and said heehaw 🤦

There's a car park down Dens Road and onto Dura Street (bottom right on the map). It's next to Lidl. Not sure how early you'd need to be there before it fills up or if there's a charge.

Dens Road car park.PNG

27 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

There's a car park down Dens Road and onto Dura Street (bottom right on the map). It's next to Lidl. Not sure how early you'd need to be there before it fills up or if there's a charge.

Dens Road car park.PNG

New matchday parking restriction zone.

Dundeefootballparkingzone.thumb.jpg.00a409132a23955e178c73edc331fb1e.jpg