The New Raith Rovers Thread

While it won't help with this season I'm quite hopeful that they already have a few plans in the works for defenders for next season.  Given that Potter has made comments about how they plan ahead, not just for the current or next transfer window but beyond, combined with all of our defenders outwith Murray and Hannah being out of contract at the end of this season, then add on the fact we only offered O'Reilly a six month deal.  All that makes me think (hope) that they have already have a few things in place for next season.

If they announced that Millen, Dick and Watson weren't going to be offered new contracts, would anybody be all that bothered?  Heck, at this point if they announced Murray was going to be allowed to leave I wouldn't be that bothered about that either.  We've done a lot of good work on the midfield and forwards the season, a fair chunk of whom are signed beyond this season.  For next season we really need to rip that entire defence up and start again.  

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

I don't really know how we fix things after that. A combination of too many players out of form and some woeful inadequacies in the overall performance. I am not hugely fussed about the Challenge Cup, but that's now 5 defeats in a row. It's worrying. 

Airdrie have well and truly sussed us out this season. You can see that given the 3 games we haven't managed to score in this season are all against them. But we lost an absolutely ridiculous early goal and that was it - we had absolutely nothing to throw back at them. We did not give them a difficult time at all last night and barely threatened to cost them their lead. 

The defending at the goal was shocking. Where the hell were Murray and Dick? Easton was briefly marking Todorov and then ran away from him. You can't just give an opposition striker and almost unlimited amount of time and space in the box like that. Even in the second half, we were all over the place if Airdrie got passed the first challenge in midfield. Is Euan Murray injured, or just badly out of form? He looked like he was being forced to run through porridge last night. Just so slow and weak.  

And then into midfield...really not sure where to start here. A lot of attacking players, very little in the way of form currently. Just not there and devoid of structure also. We look like a team that's been chopped and changed too much and no-one knows what they are supposed to be doing. There is some truth in there, in all honesty.  Can Stanton bring some structure all back by himself? I don't think so. But my word we miss him in there. 

The lack of structure is the most worrying thing , my pars supporting pal ( aquaintence😜) can’t believe how unstructured we have become, we got out worked last night , airdrie we’re committed, chased everything and stuck to the game plan, we panicked at the goal , we need a cb In to lead , i would play Keith and corr against united, Murray is head gone at the moment 4-1-4-1 to start for me v United and bring on the flair if we need it. Turner is a decent player but doesn’t suit us imo 

I honestly don’t know if it’s genuine attempt at self-preservation, if it’s persistent pessimism or if it genuinely is just folk losing the run of themselves but you’d seriously think Rovers were mired in a relegation battle.

There exists an ability to be concerned - even deeply - about the current run of form - & all its attributing factors - without making yourself out to be (consistently) an arsehole.

Ian Murray does have questions to answer. Questions he appears to be struggling to answer right now. One thing I am sure of is he’s no needing advice from no-mark jobbers like us on the internet.

Opinions are fine - they’re like arseholes, blah blah. It doesn’t mean you have to desperately try to prove you’re right in predicting a Rovers apocalypse at every turn. You’re screaming into your own echo chamber & assuming that proves you right. It’s boring.

14 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

I honestly don’t know if it’s genuine attempt at self-preservation, if it’s persistent pessimism or if it genuinely is just folk losing the run of themselves but you’d seriously think Rovers were mired in a relegation battle.

There exists an ability to be concerned - even deeply - about the current run of form - & all its attributing factors - without making yourself out to be (consistently) an arsehole.

Ian Murray does have questions to answer. Questions he appears to be struggling to answer right now. One thing I am sure of is he’s no needing advice from no-mark jobbers like us on the internet.

Opinions are fine - they’re like arseholes, blah blah. It doesn’t mean you have to desperately try to prove you’re right in predicting a Rovers apocalypse at every turn. You’re screaming into your own echo chamber & assuming that proves you right. It’s boring.

Don’t come on the forum then, what else would we talk about at the moment 🤷🏻‍♂️ the pies, the accounts and Murray won’t be reading this but hope someone is in his ear

31 minutes ago, SanStarko said:

If they announced that Millen, Dick and Watson weren't going to be offered new contracts, would anybody be all that bothered?  Heck, at this point if they announced Murray was going to be allowed to leave I wouldn't be that bothered about that either.  We've done a lot of good work on the midfield and forwards the season, a fair chunk of whom are signed beyond this season.  For next season we really need to rip that entire defence up and start again.  

I’d keep Watson around for that experienced head and have him there if need be, the other 2 I’m not arsed if they left tomorrow tbh both are very upgradable and there’s a full backs in this league and in the league below better than both of them, but I agree we need to rip up this shambles at the back and start again 

38 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

The lack of structure is the most worrying thing , my pars supporting pal ( aquaintence😜) can’t believe how unstructured we have become, we got out worked last night , airdrie we’re committed, chased everything and stuck to the game plan, we panicked at the goal , we need a cb In to lead , i would play Keith and corr against united, Murray is head gone at the moment 4-1-4-1 to start for me v United and bring on the flair if we need it. Turner is a decent player but doesn’t suit us imo 

We’ve had no structure all season? We were getting bailed out by moments of magic/individual brilliance and chaos now that’s been stopped we’ve been very exposed at how fragile and so disjointed we actually are 

35 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

It might not be a relegation battle but were definately in danger of being relegated out of the play offs, if whatever has gone wrong isn't put right, christ last night showed players unable to make a pass unable to control the ball when it eventually came to them, a hoof up the park to no-one. 

Your optimism is commendable, but others do have a right to be pessimistic after 5 defeats on the trot with seemingly no answers to stop the rot

8 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

We’ve had no structure all season? We were getting bailed out by moments of magic/individual brilliance and chaos now that’s been stopped we’ve been very exposed at how fragile and so disjointed we actually are 

I think at east end and tannadice we were very structured, and kept both at arms length, we can do it but too many players are off form, injuries in defence and imo a mistake not keeping oreilly, as he put his body in where it hurt

4 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I think at east end and tannadice we were very structured, and kept both at arms length, we can do it but too many players are off form, injuries in defence and imo a mistake not keeping oreilly, as he put his body in where it 

O'Reilly was maybe a mistake but then we dont know what the problem was, a 2 year deal or was it financial, just hope the Potter has better lined up for next year, as this defensive shambles has to be addressed    

5 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

Was the Rudden first half sub down to tactics, injury or because he’s gash? Noticed he got an early booking.

He was reportedly (RaithTV comment)  being examined by the physio when he came off.

1 minute ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

O'Reilly was maybe a mistake but then we dont know what the problem was, a 2 year deal or was it financial, just hope the Potter has better lined up for next year, as this defensive shambles has to be addressed    

Yeah hopefully he does, I wouldn’t have broke the bank for him but expected us to replace him instead of signing turner

5 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Yeah hopefully he does, I wouldn’t have broke the bank for him but expected us to replace him instead of signing turner

Aye that was a strange signing, unless hes being lined up for next season if Adam's  does want shot of him, certainly wouldn't pay a fee for him though, Rudden might come good but 2 full backs would've been the more sensible option

1 minute ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Aye that was a strange signing, unless hes being lined up for next season if Adam's  does want shot of him, certainly wouldn't pay a fee for him though, Rudden might come good but 2 full backs would've been the more sensible option

Yeah maybe something like that , rudden looks like he would benefit from big jack flick ons 

Just now, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

We’ve got to give Murray and the squad the support to get it right.

I’d like to see us go back to basics and create a bit of structure in our formations.

Stanton, Byrne, Brown or Matthews in the 3. Connolly and Smith wide and Hamilton and Vaughan up top.

We can still win the league.

How many at thr back?

Obviously Utd might come back.  But at the moment it's very considerate of Utd that despite our recent horrendous form they haven't bothered to take advantage of it.  Kinda mental that despite losing 3 league games in a row and 5 games in total, we could still be going into the the game a week on Friday knowing a win puts us back clear at the top.   

Edited by SanStarko

I see Stevenson is on the bench again for Hibs and there was talk both on Twitter and a few around me at the game last night he’s 1 of possibly 2 coming in on loan as Hibs have signed a left side defender than play CB/LB that’s the rumour back doing the rounds anyway 

59 minutes ago, TxRover said:

He was reportedly (RaithTV comment)  being examined by the physio when he came off.

Watched it on Alba last night. The physio was straight over to him when he came off. 

He didn't exactly do much (and he was not alone in that regard) but it was an enforced sub.