The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, embow said:

Pedant time .... it's a bottle of Scotch Whisky, not Irish (or anywhere else) whiskey 👍

Pedant pedant time. 
it’s Scottish whisky. Scotch whisky is American 👍

39 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

I've not been told that the fall out was over a new contract..... if it was then I agree that it is petulant AF from Millen.

It may have been about something completely different like umpteen shite defensive performances in a row....

Surely he'd also have fallen out with the other 10 players on the park for that too? 

Really can’t believe there’s been a fall out if the rumours are to be believed. Millen has been outstanding in a less than outstanding defence. If there is some kind of disagreement that should be aimed at Dick and the CH’s inconsistent performances. I can still see Vaughans face of disappointment after receiving the ball for his hard fought hat trick, he looked well pissed.  

Edited by Stardog_champion

Other than the DG situation, in all my years as a Rovers fan I have to shake my head in disbelief at this thread!!

Here we are giving yardage to a "mibbee aye, mibbee naw" rumour mill!!

No one but No one seems to have a handle on what has (if anything ) been said!!

DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE!!!!..??

4 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

Other than the DG situation, in all my years as a Rovers fan I have to shake my head in disbelief at this thread!!

Here we are giving yardage to a "mibbee aye, mibbee naw" rumour mill!!

No one but No one seems to have a handle on what has (if anything ) been said!!

DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE!!!!..??

Even if there is a potential “release” list remember the new regime has said they’ve been planning 2/3 windows ahead so it won’t be uncommon for a release list somewhat drafted this early and it may vary depending what league we will be in. 

2 hours ago, Stardog_champion said:

Really can’t believe there’s been a fall out if the rumours are to be believed. Millen has been outstanding in a less than outstanding defence. If there is some kind of disagreement that should be aimed at Dick and the CH’s inconsistent performances. I can still see Vaughans face of disappointment after receiving the ball for his hard fought hat trick, he looked well pissed.  

As takes go, that’s pretty wild. Millen is absolutely the weakest defender we have across the back, and the best crosser. Dick is a significantly better defender than Millen, as are Watson, Murray, Brown, Corr and Masson. Millen is an average to below average defender, with a superb cross, something that played well in our early season form, but now falls flat. He was a somewhat like for like replacement for Tumilty, with Tumilty having a shooters touch rather than a crossers touch.

We should have resigned Tumilty in the summer. Is he a better at  defending than Millen is definetly a subjective question. What he is however is faster, contributes far more going forward and would have been an ideal wing back during the 3 at the back business.

8 minutes ago, pub car king said:

We should have resigned Tumilty in the summer. Is he a better at  defending than Millen is definetly a subjective question. What he is however is faster, contributes far more going forward and would have been an ideal wing back during the 3 at the back business.

But pointless during every other period with our mad 4-1-5 approach. We're already far too open at the back, Tumilty's inability to track back and cover space would have made us worse overall. Millen has faults, but his more pragmatic approach to pushing forward helps when we're playing chaos ball. 

8 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

But pointless during every other period with our mad 4-1-5 approach. We're already far too open at the back, Tumilty's inability to track back and cover space would have made us worse overall. Millen has faults, but his more pragmatic approach to pushing forward helps when we're playing chaos ball. 

I meant have them both to offer different options depending on the game. Neither one of them is perfect but between them you have drastically different options. 

4 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I meant have them both to offer different options depending on the game. Neither one of them is perfect but between them you have drastically different options. 

Ahh. I see. Though I would have hated to try and keep two players expecting a lot of game time happy there. Its ideally not a position you want to keep changing up overall. 

23 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Can also play lb fairly well as we seen in the challenge cup last season. 

It's quite interesting how earlier in the season teams made a point of attacking us in to our fullback areas. Once they clicked on to the massive gap in front of our cbs they've started doing that more and we've subsequently went a horrendous run of form. 

Teams clearly see dick and millen as our weak links but have found a better way to attack us as a team now. 

Interesting (if unsurprising) that there's so many different takes on our fullbacks/defenders.

Here's mine IMO the best defender we've had in recent years is MacDonald, a great LB and a decent centreback if required, after that it's all centre backs, O'Riordan, then Anderson and possibly O'Rielly, and before that you're heading way back to the early days of Bene and Toshney.

I'd agree that neither Dick nor Millen are great at defending but then again as I recall neither was Tumilty!  He was great going forward but got ripped a new one too frequently.

Watson has zero pace and is caught out over short distances, Corr is vastly inexperienced, Masson inexperienced and never gets a look in (despite some excellent performances),  Hannah still an unknown quantity as is Jimmy Broon. In case you're wondering Euan Murray is and always has been imo 1 notch up from useless as far as I'm concerned. 

Promotion or not I'd say it's 4 slots that need better quality than what we've already got, not that any of the current lot should be in possession of that information at this time.

If the defence isn't galvanised quickly and this inability to keep a clean sheet continues I can see big Kev losing more of his confidence too, now there's a scary thought.

Cat amongst the pigeons time.

Far all that the crowd seem to think the sun shines out of Easton's arse I'm not the worlds biggest fan of DE,  admittedly he's occasionally unstoppable, absolutely red hot, but far too often he's tepid and has been colder than a witches tit since before  Christmas (Tannadice), add to the fact  he's frequently petulant and although he has the undoubted ability to score worldies seems to have too many days where he wants to beat the world but can't, and then when he realises he isn't Messi he disappears as his confidence nose dives.  We need a bit more physicality in the side. Battling wise Vaughan is decent but having him, Easton and Connolly in the same side is meat and drink to teams like Airdrie and ICT with big physical players.

Over all it's a team game and we have some really really good players though admittedly a few not quite so good, and that's fine as long as they all fight for everything and each other, nothing much has changed team wise since before Christmas other than we've not got the same fight and we're not winning.

Edited by Scottydog

Going to have a stab at a team for Friday:

Kev

J Brown   Watson    Murray    Dick

S Brown      Byrne

Mullin       Stanton       Easton

Hamilton

This isn't necessarily what I'd pick but what I think Murray will go for.  This also assumes that Stanton is fit and that there's some truth to the Millen rumours.  It would be really harsh on Vaughan but he's always a great weapon to have on the bench (along with Rudden, Turner, Smith and Connolly).

1 minute ago, AllanJM said:

Going to have a stab at a team for Friday:

Kev

J Brown   Watson    Murray    Dick

S Brown      Byrne

Mullin       Stanton       Easton

Hamilton

This isn't necessarily what I'd pick but what I think Murray will go for.  This also assumes that Stanton is fit and that there's some truth to the Millen rumours.  It would be really harsh on Vaughan but he's always a great weapon to have on the bench (along with Rudden, Turner, Smith and Connolly).

If anything he might shift to the Left as I don’t see a world where he doesn’t play on Friday 

1 minute ago, RRFC_Liam said:

If anything he might shift to the Left as I don’t see a world where he doesn’t play on Friday 

Possibly, but I think I'd prefer an angry Vaughan getting 20 minutes up front off the bench than have him in midfield where he tends to be far less effective.

20 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Here's mine IMO the best defender we've had in recent years is MacDonald, a great LB and a decent centreback if required, after that it's all centre backs, O'Riordan

Hold on, you don’t seriously believe Edinburgh City’s Kieran MacDonald is a better player than Connor O’Riordan, who Blackburn have just spent half a million on?

7 hours ago, Wacky said:

Pedant pedant time. 
it’s Scottish whisky. Scotch whisky is American 👍

I beg to differ....

" the word Scotch is now only applied to specific products, mostly food or drink, such as Scotch whisky, Scotch pie and Scotch broth.

Edited by embow

8 minutes ago, embow said:

I beg to differ....

" the word Scotch is now only applied to specific products, mostly food or drink, such as Scotch whisky, Scotch pie and Scotch broth.

Hmmm! Maybe I’m wrong here? I always thought that “scotch whisky” was an Americanism. I’ve never once heard someone in Scotland ask for a scotch, only ever heard people ask for a whisky or asked for it by name , Glenlivet etc. but I’ll apologise due to my potential ignorance of this. 
Talking of apologies, I have a personal message to send to @Rob1885

Edited by Wacky

36 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Hold on, you don’t seriously believe Edinburgh City’s Kieran MacDonald is a better player than Connor O’Riordan, who Blackburn have just spent half a million on?

MacDonald is away to the latest free-spending club in the WoS league, Gartcairn.