The New Raith Rovers Thread

26 minutes ago, Michael W said:

You never know, although given we didn't know for sure which league we'd be in until this afternoon, I would be surprised if we have been having advanced negotiations with any players until this point. 

I'd imagine the club will have had offers to Championship level players on the table and have just been waiting to confirm what league they are in before committing to the signings. If you'd gone up I'd imagine they'd have taken a few of those offers off the table, by staying down those offers just need rubber stamped. Someone like Fordyce would be a player that is obviously only suitable for the Championship. We only released official confirmation that he is away at 5 o'clock today. Could be complete coincidence that it's a few hours after Raith are confirmed to still be in the Championship, or could be us just getting ahead of the story.

22 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'd imagine the club will have had offers to Championship level players on the table and have just been waiting to confirm what league they are in before committing to the signings. If you'd gone up I'd imagine they'd have taken a few of those offers off the table, by staying down those offers just need rubber stamped. Someone like Fordyce would be a player that is obviously only suitable for the Championship. We only released official confirmation that he is away at 5 o'clock today. Could be complete coincidence that it's a few hours after Raith are confirmed to still be in the Championship, or could be us just getting ahead of the story.

Why do Airdrieonians fans think he is coming to us?  Just the timing of the statement he is away a couple of hours after we stay down?

3 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Why do Airdrieonians fans think he is coming to us?  Just the timing of the statement he is away a couple of hours after we stay down?

Because he is

Can see the Pars going for George Oakly to solve their striker problems.

The reason we got Rudden, Byrne and Ashcroft is that they were surplus to requirements at Dundee. I'm sure they'll all be in demand from championship teams but I'd like to think that Ashcroft and Byrne would be offered a contract with us, wouldn't take Rudden though, think he'll end up either at Partick or Morton if he's lucky. Hanlon is an interesting one, imagine having him, Ashcroft, Murray and Corr as our 4 choices of CB.

Will be interesting to see where players like David Wotherspoon and Jay Bird end up

Just now, Been going too long said:

Fair enough, I look forward to the announcement then, looked solid for them and seemed to play most weeks , can’t see us signing Hanlon  then tbh 

I wouldn't take a word I'm saying as true at this point tbh. It all adds up to making 5 though, so maybe 🙅

Just now, MICMAC said:

Can see the Pars going for George Oakly to solve their striker problems.

The reason we got Rudden, Byrne and Ashcroft is that they were surplus to requirements at Dundee. I'm sure they'll all be in demand from championship teams but I'd like to think that Ashcroft and Byrne would be offered a contract with us, wouldn't take Rudden though, think he'll end up either at Partick or Morton if he's lucky. Hanlon is an interesting one, imagine having him, Ashcroft, Murray and Corr as our 4 choices of CB.

Will be interesting to see where players like David Wotherspoon and Jay Bird end up

Oakley the guy who signed for Ayr? 

1 minute ago, grumswall said:

Oakley the guy who signed for Ayr? 

Was just checking Google and they've still got him with Morton at the moment. Hadn't seen that he'd signed a PCA

34 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

Jay Bird is an interesting one caused us a bit of damage. He's big strong has a great shot. 

13 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Jay Bird is an interesting one caused us a bit of damage. He's big strong has a great shot. 

Plenty of rumours Morton's direction with regards to Bird.

Don't get the clamour on here for Corr to sign up for next season. Would rather we just let him go. He looks a long way off being a reliable CB for a team aiming for promotion from the Championship. Hope Mathews is offered a new deal and hopefully we manage to persuade Byrne to sign permanent. Most importantly I hope we find a decent right back from somewhere.

I think one factor that will play into any signings is that Murray clearly wants the option of playing three at the back, he’s tried it and spoken about it so many times this season.  Because of that I reckon Dick will be offered a deal as he can play at LCB in a three as well as play LB normally.  But it also means bringing in new fullbacks who can also play that wingback role if he goes for a back three, instead of him trying to shoehorn the likes of Connolly, Smith or Mullin into that role.  

The defence is the area where all the work has to be done this close season.  Midfield and upfront doesn’t need much, ideally Byrne will re-sign and we might need to replace Easton if he leaves.  But we need to build a solid defence, it’s great that the likes of Murray and Brown throw themselves in front of things but if we’re defending better then you shouldn’t need players making goal saving blocks multiple times every game.