The New Raith Rovers Thread

Any thoughts on if Reece Donaldson will be required back come January. He has fitted in really well with us so far picking up a few MOTM awards & looking a good player in general even getting on the score sheet the other week. Just wondered for his development if getting regular 1st team football all be it in a lower but very competitive league would get him ready to push for your 1st team next season or do you think Rovers will take him back in Jan regardless. Certainly think most at Balmoor would be more than happy to see his stay extended.

Kevin McCann appears to be the back-up defender ahead of Donaldson, but his contract runs out in January so it all depends on what we're doing with him really. Glad to see him doing well at Peterhead though, can only be good for his confidence.

With Callum Booth's loan running out at the end of the season, if we can't keep him I imagine Donaldson may well be the first-pick left back.

He's extremely versatile. I'm also struggling to think of a time where he has come into the team and looked uncomfortable.

Sure he will be a prominent fixture in the Rovers team over the next few years.

Edited by mojito

He's extremely versatile. I'm also struggling to think of a time where he has come into the team and looked uncomfortable. Sure he will be a prominent fixture in the Rovers team over the next few years.

I was very impressed with him when he first broke into our team under McGlynn, but I think he was maybe played too much, for a youth, iirc he was only dropped when he was injured & has since struggled to find his initial form,

I hope this loan spell works out well for both parties & he returns to us ready to claim a 1st team jersey

I was very impressed with him when he first broke into our team under McGlynn, but I think he was maybe played too much, for a youth, iirc he was only dropped when he was injured & has since struggled to find his initial form,

I hope this loan spell works out well for both parties & he returns to us ready to claim a 1st team jersey

Cheers for the feedback, as mentioned am sure we would be happy to have him until the end of the season. As mentioned this could work in everybodys favour, the player gets regular games, we get a versatile defender that looks as if he could cover a number of positions & hopefully Rovers get back a better player at the end of the season & presumably save a bit on wages while he is on loan.

It is very pleasing to see the bearing of fruit from our youth set up. Donaldson I think will become a solid pro if he keeps in proving. Callaghan looks good for someone so young. Vaughan looks excellent. And Big Ross has potential too.

Murray does deserve credit for playing them. But I wouldn't say Mcglynn deserves blame for not playing youths. He tried a few, bryce, mackie etc... all shite. If you are good enough at youth level at a club with as small a squad as Rovers (as with any lower league side) you will get a chance. I think its more a case of we now have young players who don't look miiiiiillleesssss out of their depth when they get a chance!

It is very pleasing to see the bearing of fruit from our youth set up. Donaldson I think will become a solid pro if he keeps in proving. Callaghan looks good for someone so young. Vaughan looks excellent. And Big Ross has potential too.

Murray does deserve credit for playing them. But I wouldn't say Mcglynn deserves blame for not playing youths. He tried a few, bryce, mackie etc... all shite. If you are good enough at youth level at a club with as small a squad as Rovers (as with any lower league side) you will get a chance. I think its more a case of we now have young players who don't look miiiiiillleesssss out of their depth when they get a chance!

Exactly, Bryce looked awful in the second. Vaughn looks the part in the first. Interestingly Vaughn, Callachan, Donaldson and Laidlaw come from the first couple of intakes after McGlynn totally revamped the system from the youngest age group and up.

Jesus, I'd completely forgotten about Lee Bryce. He was woeful but every home game, without fail, the old boys sitting near me would be giving it, 'get Brycey oan', like he was some kind of supersub! Is he even still playing at professional level?

Jesus, I'd completely forgotten about Lee Bryce. He was woeful but every home game, without fail, the old boys sitting near me would be giving it, 'get Brycey oan', like he was some kind of supersub! Is he even still playing at professional level?

Plays for Ballingry. Think he made a couple of sub appearances for Forfar last season without impressing enough for a permanent deal.

To be fair I remember John McGlynn crediting him with five points in our title winning season. I don't remember all the specifics, but I do remember being at Hampden when he set up Kevin Smith for a 93rd minute tap-in to beat Queen's Park 2-1. We wouldn't have won the game without him, so he did us a job.

He was shite though. Sure he tore the youth leagues apart but never scored for the first team?

Had a wee look to see where the other youth 'stars' of that generation are. Colin Wilson is at Musselburgh, Jamie Mackie and Craig Wedderburn at St Andrews, Tam Graham is unattached having left Rosyth, Andy Walls is at Lochee, Liam Amos at Newtongrange, Kevin Brown who received wild reviews on his one and only first-team appearance is at Kelty Hearts, Jason Darling plays for Dalkeith, Danny Main is at Bo'ness. Graeme Beveridge and Christian Nanetti (remember him?) appear to be the only two playing at a semi-decent level - Elgin and Havant & Waterlooville. So to sum up, we've not missed out on anybody.

And a certain Ross Laidlaw and Ross Callachan appear to be starring for a side three points off the top of the Scottish Championship. 8)

He works at Morrison's in Glenrothes. I know that much.

Plays for Ballingry. Think he made a couple of sub appearances for Forfar last season without impressing enough for a permanent deal.

To be fair I remember John McGlynn crediting him with five points in our title winning season. I don't remember all the specifics, but I do remember being at Hampden when he set up Kevin Smith for a 93rd minute tap-in to beat Queen's Park 2-1. We wouldn't have won the game without him, so he did us a job.

He was shite though. Sure he tore the youth leagues apart but never scored for the first team?

Had a wee look to see where the other youth 'stars' of that generation are. Colin Wilson is at Musselburgh, Jamie Mackie and Craig Wedderburn at St Andrews, Tam Graham is unattached having left Rosyth, Andy Walls is at Lochee, Liam Amos at Newtongrange, Kevin Brown who received wild reviews on his one and only first-team appearance is at Kelty Hearts, Jason Darling plays for Dalkeith, Danny Main is at Bo'ness. Graeme Beveridge and Christian Nanetti (remember him?) appear to be the only two playing at a semi-decent level - Elgin and Havant & Waterlooville. So to sum up, we've not missed out on anybody.

And a certain Ross Laidlaw and Ross Callachan appear to be starring for a side three points off the top of the Scottish Championship. 8)

Colin Wilson plays for Montrose now

Cheers for that, I'd been vaguely wondering what had become of some of those.

More than a few of us were quite hopeful about Bryce when he first appeared - I daresay the early days of this very thread would provide a few such quotes. There was a stage when McGlynn clearly had hopes for Wedderburn as well, up until that debacle at Morton which he didn't recover from. But as noted, it's only now that the players he started are coming through - should be mentioned also that Laidlaw, Callaghan and Donaldson were all given their debuts by McGlynn.

More than a few of us were quite hopeful about Bryce when he first appeared - I daresay the early days of this very thread would provide a few such quotes. There was a stage when McGlynn clearly had hopes for Wedderburn as well, up until that debacle at Morton which he didn't recover from. But as noted, it's only now that the players he started are coming through - should be mentioned also that Laidlaw, Callaghan and Donaldson were all given their debuts by McGlynn.

I remember McGlynn touting mackie when he made his debut vs. Morton at the age of 15 (youngest Rovers debut?) Wonder why that never worked out.

Wedderburn had one attribute which was his height. I'll always remember him walking about college calling himself a "professional footballer" loudly acting like an utter fanny even before he'd played a first team game. That Morton game and the derby against the Pars were brutal performances, and it didn't helpo he was in the team.

Fortunately, the lads at the moment seem to be handling the first division well. A lot of it will come down to clubs being forced to play more youth players, meaning that they get a bit of slack. At the same time, I think it is to the credit of John McGlynn that he could help to develop young players. I think Ross Laidlaw is probably a good example of that.