The New Raith Rovers Thread

26 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Looking like with signings you have mase, the title is all wrapped up.

If beating your closest rivals away from home to go 5 points clear in December is too early to celebrate a league title then signing an 18 year old from the league below in June definitely is.

Still, very happy with the work done so far.

2 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Yes its great to see and hope its well attended but why so late in the day on actually announcing this

Possibly because the 200 club is staffed by volunteers, some of whom are in Germany, so they maybe couldn't commit to opening until they were sure they had volunteers available.

8 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

Looking like with signings you have mase, the title is all wrapped up.

Erm, we’ve signed a kid from the league below and we’ve won the championship. hmmmm. We’ve done nothing different than any other team in the league, you know like strengthen. We could also point the finger at Partick ie, spending their way to the title, offering big bucks and the like. So it’s ridiculous in the extreme. 

Gibson is a great signing. Has all the attributes to go further in the game than his dad did, especially if his head is more screwed on (which wouldn't be difficult tbf)

Would very much have wanted us to go for him had we lost Morrison 

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Gibson is a great signing. Has all the attributes to go further in the game than his dad did, especially if his head is more screwed on (which wouldn't be difficult tbf)

Would very much have wanted us to go for him had we lost Morrison 

I still remember the game his old man got hooked at half time in a Falkirk v Rovers game and he pretty much walked out on Falkirk there and then.

Hopefully the offspring is a bit better disciplined.

4 hours ago, Stardog_champion said:

Erm, we’ve signed a kid from the league below and we’ve won the championship. hmmmm. We’ve done nothing different than any other team in the league, you know like strengthen. We could also point the finger at Partick ie, spending their way to the title, offering big bucks and the like. So it’s ridiculous in the extreme. 

You have signed a few. And where are we spending big bucks? Do you know how much we are offering? Thistle fans don't. We have signed 2 players, both for nothing.

1 hour ago, SerieA said:

Could this be Happy Paul Hanlon Day 

If it is I'd expect an earlier announcement due to the Scotland game tonight. Raith will want to maximise the social media aspect and a 1730 announcement might not get the same attention. 

47 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

You have signed a few. And where are we spending big bucks? Do you know how much we are offering? Thistle fans don't. We have signed 2 players, both for nothing.

We've signed Stevenson, Fordyce, Byrne (permanently) and a couple of kids who likely won't play much (Montagu, Gibson)

We've released more than that, or loans ended. Fordyce in and Watson out is a like for like change, for example. Byrne is only maintaining what we had last season. Stevenson adds a bit of depth as allows Dick to cover CB, potentially.

It seems obvious Rovers and Thistle are fishing in the same pool for players (Thistle offered Easton and Byrne contracts and on the latter, Byrne's own interview suggests that your offer was better from a purely financial point lf view)so wage wise would expect we will be like for like this season.

If we can get Hanlon over the line, I'd think we'd be stronger defensively than last season. Likewise you are definitely stronger in midfield now that you have Turner signed (and Chalmers?). Ayr should be more of a threat with Dowds and Oakely.

Edited by renton

On the whole, Gibson looks to be a promising signing.  If he has as much about him as has been suggested, he couldn't fail to improve by training with guys like Easton, Connolly, Mullin and Smith every day.

Hopefully we get an announcement on Hanlon today and then we're just a RB short of having the defence sorted.  I'm fairly certain we'll be one of a number of championship teams asking Hibs about taking Megwa on loan but hopefully the numerous Hibs connections in the club can get that over the line.  Get that done and I really think we'll be a decent loan striker away (and of course getting a backup goalie signed - hopefully McNeill) from having a bloody strong championship squad.

Agree with what others have said about renaming the main stand.  That's what I'll always call it anyway so if we can get an extra few quid in (and with the new suite being named after TH) I was also happy to vote in favour of it.  I'd also happily go for selling naming rights to Stark's Park.  

4 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

I still remember the game his old man got hooked at half time in a Falkirk v Rovers game and he pretty much walked out on Falkirk there and then.

Hopefully the offspring is a bit better disciplined.

12 years ago, someone edited his Wiki page to the effect 'Gibson took exception to being subbed at HT and was told not to return to the club for being a petulant fud, he was last seen driving away from the stadium in his Clio'

18 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I see Dylan Tait is the latest ex Rovers diddy to sign for Falkirk.

It will be interesting to see how the 21/22 Rovers team does in it's second go at the league.

Interesting that Hibs let Tate leave on a permanent del rather than on loan. They do have a pretty big squad and will want to free up some of the wage budget.  Might we see Megwa come to Rovers on a nice wee 3 year deal rather than a loan?????

3 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Tait is a good signing for them tbf.  I see from Falkirks pre season pics thats where our sports scientist has ended up aswell.  

He's certainly someone who has the potential to be good, still. Then again, last time he was at this level with Arbroath he was middling to poor. Seem to recall him badly injuring himself in the process of trying to half one of our players as his stand out contribution.

3 hours ago, AllanJM said:

On the whole, Gibson looks to be a promising signing.  If he has as much about him as has been suggested, he couldn't fail to improve by training with guys like Easton, Connolly, Mullin and Smith every day.

Hopefully we get an announcement on Hanlon today and then we're just a RB short of having the defence sorted.  I'm fairly certain we'll be one of a number of championship teams asking Hibs about taking Megwa on loan but hopefully the numerous Hibs connections in the club can get that over the line.  Get that done and I really think we'll be a decent loan striker away (and of course getting a backup goalie signed - hopefully McNeill) from having a bloody strong championship squad.

Agree with what others have said about renaming the main stand.  That's what I'll always call it anyway so if we can get an extra few quid in (and with the new suite being named after TH) I was also happy to vote in favour of it.  I'd also happily go for selling naming rights to Stark's Park.  

Not convinced Megwa would be the best choice solution, as there’s a clear possibility it would be a half season loan rather than the whole season. After last seasons rancid spell in December-February, I’d be afraid of a similar dip if Megwa was setting the heather alight and got recalled. If we get Megwa, we need a solid second choice RB, not just relying on Matthew’s filling-in, no matter how good Ross has been there.

1 hour ago, renton said:

It will be interesting to see how the 21/22 Rovers team does in it's second go at the league.

Falkirk fans seem to be creaming themselves over the Tait signing. 
One guy delighted that they’ve got “a Rolls Royce midfield of Spencer and Tait”. 
I’m really intrigued to see how Falkirk get on this year. 
I really liked Spencer when he was here. Tait and Lang were good players also, but…….

I don’t think Spencer or Tait gets in our midfield at all, and if we get Hanlon, Lang would be 3rd/4th choice CB. 

Either recency bias is making me think our current players are better, or there is a bigger step up in quality between the championship and league 1 than Falkirk fans realise. 

Interesting to see how Falkirk do in general, and those players in particular.